Hi From Lake Worth Florida

GoldenMotor.com

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
I just wanted to stop by and say hi, my name is Kevin I am 45 disabled with a bad back and neck. Due to lack of exercise and interaction of medications resulting from my disability I nearly died from 3 99% clogged arteries in my heart.
So I have decided to get on a bike and ride. I knew I couldn't manage a unpowered bicycle alone so I purchased what I thought would be a reliable solution which is my 2014 A2B Alva + e bike.
This turned out to be a fun bike to ride but has proven to be unreliable with fundamental design flaws that have the potential to leave me stranded with no way to get that heavy bike home once it breaks down.
The worse part about my A2B is the general lack of customer service and properly trained techs at the authorized service center.
so basically you have little or no warranty. as the repairs you get are second rate and normally with used damaged parts as they have no replacement parts in the US it seems.
Last week I purchased a second bike for myself a 2015 Giant Roam 1 with the XL frame.
it is a great lightweight bike that I need to modify so I can be in a more upright position. then I need to motivate it with electric or Gas powered motor
perhaps both.
pretty much I am looking for reliability and serviceability or at least a way to disengage the drive system so it doesn't add drag to the bike when and if it breaks.
So I plan on checking out all the post and learning what I can. I am sure to have some questions but I am sure there is nothing I can ask that hasn't been covered numerous times on this forum.
I have been an automotive mechanic for many years the last ten years of my working career I worked at a water Treatment Plant as a Utility Plant Mechanic.

while my disability has kept me from doing many of the things I love I hope to
be able to convert my bike by myself or with minimal help from my friends.

I still have my A2B so I use it to keep in shape however the problems on it make me feel unsafe. So I am motivated to get my Giant working reliably as soon as possible.

Roam-1-Disc-Charcoal.jpg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Kevin.
You've come to the right place for help and advice.
Feel free to ask questions but there is also a world of information available by using the search feature. Type in key words and you'll have pages to read on any subject associated with building and maintaining a motorized bicycle.

There are some very successful electric bikes/motors available today that might interest you. Check out our E-Bike section for information.

As for gas powered bikes the most common is the Chinese in-frame 2 stroke. These do not easily allow for friction free pedaling, as a rule due to the parasitic drag on the rear wheel from the engine even with the clutch disengaged.
There are friction drive systems that can be completely disengaged from the bike wheel so pedaling is like normal. Lots of other options to choose from and we're always here with help or advice.

Good luck.

Tom

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Hi thanks for the welcome, back in the early 80s when I was a kid I had a second hand factory bike that came with a front wheel drive friction motor,
I had no money at the time so it had a worn drive roller and worn tire so wet days were impossible to use the motor as it would just spin on top of the tire.
that bike was so big and industrial is wasn't very fun to ride without the motor
however on a dry day it seemed to do ok.
I guess for now I will just have fun reading the many post and hope I to stumble across the perfect setup that will fit my needs.
which for now should be reliable, and match or exceed the quality of my New Giant bike. most of all I would like a super quiet light weight motor kit that will help me pedal to 20 MPH fast and maintain 20 MPH efficiently.
it would not hurt if it looks good also .
So if anyone has been there done that and can save me a bunch of research
I am open to suggestions. as far as a budget I know you get what you pay for most of the time so I am willing to spend what I need to for the right setup.
dnut

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
it took a while to check out all 19 pages of pictures on the post your bike here section.
does anyone know why when you click on a thumbnail the picture wont load until you close the picture then click on it again? what a pain in the A** that was.
I saw much of the nice work that has been posted but man I sort of lost interest after having the thumbnails not load up correctly .
Thanks for the help in advance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Loading photos isn't usually a problem here. Your computer or your Internet provider might be the culprit. I have an antique for a compter, 5 years old, and sometimes it takes several moments for a photo to load from a thumbnail.

As for "quiet", how quiet are you looking for? Typically the four stroke engines run a little quieter than most of the 2 cycle engines but nothing compares to an electric. They are virtually silent. Most 2 strokes sound something like weedeaters. Maybe a little less RPMs. The four poppers, lawnmowers :)

Tom

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Hi Tom thanks for the reply, I have an electric A2B
and I think it is too quiet as you cannot even here me coming unless I cough or ring the bell.
So when I think of quiet I am thinking of not annoying to my neighbors quiet.
perhaps gas powered golf cart quiet would be ok.

I don't mind coming up with an exhaust system to make it better than stock
I seen a video with a trike recumbent running a Honda friction drive which was quiet enough I just really don't want a friction drive or a plastic covered motor.
as I have a certain look in mind as well. I started a new post under ask an expert section. which has a video link to what I desire but on a legal appearing
less insane more refined level.
I know I know I am getting picky here LOL.
But I know what I want I just don't know where or how to obtain to it yet.

I will try to use Google chrome to load this forum to see if that helps with the picture problem
Thanks My Pc is a fairly new HP Laptop but I guess it could have a virus that hasn't been detected by Norton