Do you pedal when riding

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I noticed ,even though it has no affect on the motor after I get the bike going I still find myself pedaling every place I go.

The only time I do not pedal is when I going down hill I tried not pedaling but if feel much more in control when I do.

It also feels as if the motor is working harder when I'm not pedaling ,even though I know it isn't.

Granted when going under 15 M.P.H. pedaling helps but I'm talking when I'm doing 20 + mph. Does anyone else feel in more control when pedaling or is it just me and my abbey normal brain ? ?

.wee.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I did have one of the local police officers say to me a few years ago ..when I asked him about the laws and these bicycles he said "If I see them pedaling I don't bother em"

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
can't pedal more than a few turns to get it going or I'd throw out my hip : (

if it won't pull a hill. I have to get off & walk it up

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Once it's started, I usually only pedal on the uphills. Sometimes I'll help it up to speed with a few turns of the cranks after droping the clutch.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It depends on the drive train.

If it's a direct drive coaster brake I may help it some to get going but then I just pedal to position my right pedal at the perfect angle for engaging the coaster brake for an emergency stop and leave it there.

For every other drive train type besides positioning the inner pedal up into a turn I delight in slowly pedaling backwards just to move my legs and freak people out, especially on the electrics hehehe.

I get a simple joy out of sneaking up on Spandex riders bent over giving it their all and whizzing by them dead quiet sitting up slowly pedaling backwards ;-}

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
After the engine starts and from dead stops I pedal just enough to not lug down the engine. From there I only move the pedals to position for curves/turns to keep the low pedal to the outside. I'm a lightweight and can actually pull off from a dead stop if I want but I usually pedal up to about 10mph to keep from stressing the clutch then I sit back and let the engine do the rest.

A couple of my freinds 'ghost pedal' when they see a cop or approaching oncoming bikes on a trail but I rarely if ever do it.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I pedal until it starts. and only if i need to get going again.

why would i motorize a bike to keep pedaling?
EXACTLY BP. I ride mine like a motorcycle except to start it. Clutch pads are cheap and easy to replace. I'm too old and out of shape to pedal my fat arse around. I have had to pedal home once or twice with breakdowns. Then REST for a couple hours before fixing the problem. SO NO, I DON'T PEDAL!!!
usflg IT'S YOUR BIKE, RIDE IT YOUR WAY.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It's kinda like pushing an old car to start it.........once it starts, why keep pushing??

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Yes I like to pedal. So far all my bikes have been electric, but once I have my Wu Yang/Solex up and running I guess I'll be pedaling that too. With this illness I have I need to maintain a level of exercise, so I set my bikes up to be 'power assisted' rather than being completely powered on their own.
It's why I hate driving a car, - it's too passive, - which means that whenever I have to do it for any distance the joint and muscle soreness I get in the aftermath is just plain awful. With riding a bike though the 'lpa' (light pedal assistance) is just perfect for keeping the pain away.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yep. I pedal. After getting rolling it's only ghost pedaling, of course.

But I always do it. And I'm not too sure why. It's automatic.

Maybe, subconsciously, I'm protecting my legs from getting stiff.

That's about the best reason I can come up with.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I pedal all the time- to start it back up, because I'm always coasting down to any stop I anticipate after killing the motor- saves gas, noise , lets the motor cool down- sometimes a long period if I'm at an intersection long- and it keeps the brake pads from wearing down if I'm down to more of a bicycle speed when I'm coming to a stop-

and if I'm near the store in the parking lot or around crowds, I;m usually just pedalling-

I'm always saying my light cruiser with all alloy and titanium, and narrow 700c wheels, pedals better than most bikes otherwise- and my saddle is set up high enough to do that.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
When considering human-powered equipment, a healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp briefly (see orders of magnitude) and sustain about 0.1 hp indefinitely; trained athletes can manage up to about 2.5 hp briefly[12] and 0.3 hp for a period of several hours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower
That's a pretty good increase in preformance if it were an aftermarket mod/part, why scrimp on the go-power I figure? I pedal most of the time, whenever my gear range allows it & regardless of how much engine I may have and I pedal hard just about every take off (intersection traffic)...

...which is particularly amusing w/my ebike as most don't realize it's motored as well & think I must be some sort of superman :p