newbie question

GoldenMotor.com

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
ive been reading through a lot of the posts and gathering information for my first build im about to order the engine and I see that you have to take apart clean up and inspect the engine my question is, do I need to order a gasket kit as well?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Most builders do not disassemble the engine before installation. It does not hurt to open the outer engine cases on each side to see than nothing is loose and you can remove any metal debris from assembly. That can normally be done with a flathead screw driver. Some guys also remove the intake and exhaust manifolds to clean up the inside with a small file or dremel. A 10mm wrench or adjustable wrench will accomplish that. Niether of the afore mentioned are required. The members that do have engine building skills do often check out the entire engine before mounting.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I remove the cylinder and rinse out the crankcase to remove debris before I install the kits. If you are careful not to tear the base gasket, you should not need new gaskets. The head gasket is re-useable