Not really that fast

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The Black OX has a old school cable driven speedometer that is made for a 26 inch wheel, the OX of course has 29 inch wheels. I figure the speedo should be about 10% slow. I was out this morning and going way too fast I looked at the speed and was going an indicated 35 mph. Is this speed even possible on this bike? Do I have the speedo error figured way off? The bike feels very fast if not quick.
29 inch Onex
49 cc HS motor
no mods

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
The Black OX has a old school cable driven speedometer that is made for a 26 inch wheel, the OX of course has 29 inch wheels. I figure the speedo should be about 10% slow. I was out this morning and going way too fast I looked at the speed and was going an indicated 35 mph. Is this speed even possible on this bike? Do I have the speedo error figured way off? The bike feels very fast if not quick.
29 inch Onex
49 cc HS motor
no mods

Ya that sounds about right. I like to ride around 25-30 mph when im riding. After all it is just a bicycle not a motorcycle. Its made to handle what the average human can put out which is an 1/8th of a horse power or around 25cc. It just hurts so much more when you wreck once get over 20-25 mph!

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida
it is very possible i had onyx w guuted pipe went 32-37 w me on it i weigh 240 now i have 29" astra for the brakes rebuilt coaster twice.flg.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If your speedo is made for a smaller wheel, it will actually read faster than what you're going. I had a mechanical speedo that I bought from a bike shop and was told it could be used on a 24" or 26" wheel, but that was wrong. It really should have only been used for a 24" wheel. I had a 26" wheel, and when I checked it against gps, the mechanical speedo was at least 3mph faster than I was actually going. I've since bought a handlebar mount for my smartphone, and now use that for a speedo. If gps ain't accurate, nothing else will be.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
speedo counts turns of the wheel - bigger wheel than the speedo thinks will make it read less speed than your doing - not allowing for tire size, your 35mph should have been 39mph

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I found a speedometer to tire size calculator that converted a 20 mph reading to an actual speed of 22.3 MPH. So using that my 35 would have been about 37.5. I of course don't really know how accurate the speedo is to start with. However I am surprised that this bike would be that fast.