BlowByU's Production Bike #2 Felt 1903

GoldenMotor.com

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi every one
Just an update on Tanner I have the paint for the pinstripes finlay now I just have to find the right kind of brush to do the job. My wife is an artist but she has never done this kind of thing and she is all nervous about doing because I will be putting it on the website for every one to see so it is making her super nervous. I should have some pics for you all real soon
Cheers
Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Please let Mrs New Mom know we are all looking forward to her work and can wait just fine. Can't rush good art.
Our very best to you and yours!

Love, us

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No dadgum it! lol. No rush and all good. But I do want to speak directly with customer service. (I just want to say hey to Mrs Mom and see how she is doing) Your in trouble Mr!

All good Terry. No rush and 2 dang cold to ride half the projects I got going. I mean it. Comes by next spring, I am happy. You folks got enough on your table. I can wait.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That ain't good. A happy end consumer tells one or 2 folks. An angry one tells 12. Don't let em hurt your biz!

I mean it, no worries 'bout me. Got time and all good buddy. But do need to figure this out. Ya know our crowd. Bunch of babies like me, snork (saying the bad press thing only)

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I have to say sorry you should be looking at finished pics and riding videos by now. BUT I painted the final parts on Wednesday with the black base-coat then 2 hours later I lay ed out the pinstripes and the painted them on and then it all fell apart from there. The paint for the stripping dried faster than I expected and also the thinners leached out under the tape and made the black base coat turn into wrinkle paint. But that was not the worst part when I tried to peal the tape off for the stripes the paint stuck to the tape and pealed off the stripping in some places. and to top it off the paint for the striping was way off in color. So I have them making new paint for the stripping and when I do the strips I will wait 12 hours before doing the strips. That should help with the thinners bleeding out. Next I will thin the paint for the strips and I will peal them off much sooner. Then I will wait another 10 hours or so before spraying on the clear coat. But before anything I have a bunch of sanding to do to remove the mess that is on the engine cover now. But not to worry it will all work out I hope to have the painting done by next weekend

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear of your solvent/ adhesive woes.
It sounds like you have everything all sorted out now, good luck with the next run. This last one was just for practice, right? ;)

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Here is the cover after repainting and I am not going to re-use this cover it did not turn out well after sanding. I can wet sand it and then repaint again but for $8 bucks I'm going to just get a new one and start over. Here are some pics of the cover
SANY0094.jpg

SANY0095.jpg

SANY0097.jpg

SANY0098.jpg

Last edited:

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi Terry, that slightly grainy texture on the plastic cover complicates things doesn't it? Have you thought of using Carl Goldberg vinyl trim tape? I used some on a HT tank once and Krylon clearcoat over that and the two tone paint job. Worked good. Also, I found some 3M vinyl masking tape at the auto paint store. It's blue in color. Best I've ever used. Super crisp lines even without clear to seal. Just pull it slowly straight back on itself, not up. That is if you're commited to painting. Good Luck

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi Whizzerd
I have better tape now automotive quality for just this kind of thing
. If I had used a different paper other than just 220 it may have turned out better I still can fix the problem if I use 600 wet paper it would turn out just fine. But for $8 buck I can start from scratch. I am only using high quality automotive paint nothing from a spray can have a compressor and spray guns so no need to spray from a can.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
OK every one I have Tanner back on track with a few changes to the bike. I had a customer come by and purchase the engine kit I was going to use on tanner. So I switched up to the 5/8 shaft Huasheng 142F-cc 49cc 4-stroke engine kit just because I wanted to get some experience with this kit is has been a little tricky to tune the clutch. Now the engine cover is back on track the black is painted and the stripping has been masked and peeled off. Next will be the masking off the strips and the painting of the stripes. Here are the pics

SANY0119.jpg

SANY0120.jpg

SANY0121.jpg

I will have the stripes done tomorrow and the the clear coat on Sunday
Cheers
Terry

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
OK every one here is the picture BOMB and a little something special.

SANY0122.jpg

SANY0123.jpg

SANY0124.jpg

SANY0131.jpg

SANY0132.jpg

So the engine cover is going to get a light sanding with wet 600 sand paper and the about 4 coats of clear before it is done.