Daelans question thread

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So if you can't tell, I'm mid build and it's been quite a trip so far. I'd first like to thank everybody for the help and support I've received thus far. I wouldn't even be close to where I am now if it wasnt for you guys! :)

So instead of spamming the board up with threads, I've decided to make a single thread to house them all. I will keep this top post updated with questions as well as mark those that have been answered. Feel free to answer them all, answer one or two, or just provide input on a question already answered. All input is appreciated :).

So here they go!

ANSWERED 1) I know that the clutch cable is routed through that post to keep the tension, is there something similar for the throttle cable?

ANSWERED 2) Anyone know where I can buy a better throttle? Something snapped internally when I first tried to use it (checked to make sure it still worked afterwards, it does), but it just doesn't feel trustworthy.

ANSWERED 3) To my chagrin, I have bent my back tire while trying to fire up the engine. I failed to realize the severity of one tiny little bend. Now it's a big bend :(. Some guys down the street came by while I was working on it and said that I'm gonna want "double wall" tires, and should be looking to spend at least $100 per. Are these necessary? Can I just go to my local bike shop and pick up a basic tire of the same dimensions without worrying about extra strength? Has anyone else bent a tire? I'm assuming this problem arose simply because of the small initial bend that just got worse.

ANSWERED 4) Should I be looking into a wider chain? I noticed in the directions they seemed to be leading towards a wider chain as far as an ideal setup goes.

ANSWERED 5) I know I need a special front tire if I want to go disc brake, but does it require anything on the frame to be changed? Anyone have a good recommendation on where to get a disc brake setup?

ANSWERED 6) Rear brakes, necessary? I know the front brake gives you around 70-80% of you stopping power (I think?). For right now, because of the clutch taking over the front brake lever on the left, I removed my rear brake and put the front brake on the right handlebar. I've been looking at those brake/thumb clutch combos, anybody have one?

ANSWERED 7) What does "4 stroking" mean? I've seen the term around the forums, but can't really seem to figure out what it is in reference to.

Phew! I think that does it for now. A big thanks in advance to everyone, and hopefully I will have this bad boy finished by the coming weekend. (Hopefully)

Last edited:

Parbed

Apr 14, 2010
Manitoba
Well looks like your having more troubles. I would leave both brakes on the bike for safety sake. Disc brakes are good but a costly and not needed cost I think. I have built a few of these bikes and can now put a kit on a mountain bike in about 4hours. The throtle cable and cluth lever your looking for are all available on zoom bicycles site and can be ordered and shipped out to you in about 10days. I find them really good to deal with. I use the larged link chain not just a bike chain. Should have come with the grubee kit? The throtle cable doesn't need the holder like the clutch does. Just tir strap it to the frame or in a bundle in front of the hadle bars with the other cables just to keep them out of the way. I always buy a new back rim for every build. I get the local bike shop guy to even up tension on all spokes even on a brand new rim. I have avioded alot of problems this way

Blair
Piglet Bike Motors
Portage la Prairie, Manitoba Canada

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Daelan

Hi And Welcome Aboard.

Really Like My Thumb Throttle With Dual Brake. They Are Quailty Item`s, Have A Throttle Travel Stop Screw To Prevent Damage.

They Are Selling On Ebay Motors For About $13. Now, Maybe Free S/h. They Are On My Watch List If You Don`t Find Them.

Most Carb`s Have Cable Adjustment Where The Cable Enters. .RON cvlt1

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Ok lets take this one step at a time...

1) There is no special routing for the throttle.

2) As far as a "better throttle It all depends on the rider. If you want to stay with a twist grip throttle Napa sells a real nice twist grip all metal for about $15.00

3) What those fellas meant is double wall Rims not tires. You will get better info from other forum members on that subject as I am still learning that stuff too.

4) You do not need to change your chain right as all chain stretches over time. When you "need" to change your chain you will want to replace it with a # 41 roll chain. This can be purchased at any hardware store. Rather inexpensive.

5) Brakes, I have regular old caliper brakes on both front and back wheel and both are controlled by my dual cable handle. I love this thing and I have already bought an extra in case this one ever breaks. I don't think that Disk brakes are necessary. Regular brakes will do you just fine. Now as far as the thumb controls, I don't like the Idea of pushing forward with my thumb, pulling in the opposite direction with my fingers while trying to hold onto a bar while going 20+ Mph. How much control are you going to have on a turn? or if a car, kid steps out in your way? Just my thoughts on the situation.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys =)

So as far as the back rim, is there anything specific or special I need to ask for when buying a new one? I assume I can bring the old one in and they will match me up with what I need.

Also, for those that have both brakes and are not using the thumb clutch, how do you have your brakes/clutch setup?

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have the same set up On my bike but instead of a twist throttle I am using an old brake handle from a BMX bike. I like it better it mounts just below my brake handle and it works just fine.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you didn't say what kind of back wheel you have, but i'm assuming it has gears and a freewheel, since you mentioned having to take off the rear brake lever.

ideally, you want a thicker gauge spoke and a double wall rim. 12gauge is good, 11 is better (the smaller the number, the thicker the gauge.)

the best you could get are available from Worksman Cycles - Factory Direct Store: America's Oldest Cycle Manufacturer of Industrial Bicycles and Tricycles, Since 1898. easiest way is to call them up and explain what you need. expect to pay between 100-150 for one wheel.

a cheaper way out is bikepartsusa.com they sell 12g. spoked heavy duty wheels for a lot cheaper, but you'll need to find out what you need first, then search for it, they're not the best at answering questions on the phone, but everything else about them is pretty good.

or, go to the bike store and have them figure it out.

"four stroking" is when your bike sputters along, essentially firing on every other stroke of the piston. this is caused by many things, from lack of fuel, too much oil in the mix, bad spark, too much weight, etc.. don't worry about this yet, your bike's not even running.

as for needing a rear brake? it's true that the front brake does about 80% of the stopping, and if all you ever did was ride in a straight line on dry ground, it's be all you need. but add in a little rain, and a corner, and front brakes are almost useless.

if you brake too hard in a corner with the front brake only, your bike's gonna follow the line of it's momentum instead of turning, and so will you. except you'll both be skidding on the ground. rear brakes are a must for safe riding.

Last edited:

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
I have the same set up On my bike but instead of a twist throttle I am using an old brake handle from a BMX bike. I like it better it mounts just below my brake handle and it works just fine.
I do like this idea, I'll have to see if I can scavenge a handle and see how it mounts.

Also, bairdco, I really appreciate the amount of info I've gotten from you across my many threads. You're a gentleman and a scholar!

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
If you look at a cross section of your single wall rim it looks like this: l l
v

A double wall looks like this: l_l
v

That extra piece of metal (the under score) gives the rim a lot of extra strength so it won't bend.

Those figures are rediculous and I hope they are understandable. If not the guys at a bike shop can show you.

Parbed

Apr 14, 2010
Manitoba
I think I'll give this bmx handle throtle a try my wife does not like the twist grip much. I have also order a dual brake handle as I now pule a rickshaw with one of my bikes and was using only back brake before. With the extra wieght that made stopping very, well say interesting.

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I've only been doing this for a bit but I've already found that I don't like using my front brake. If I'm going fast and I brake, it looks like it puts a lot of wear on my front fork and it doesn't make me feel comfortable. I have the front brake lever above the clutch and ride with my hand on this brake instead of the clutch. That way if I ever have to stop in an emergency situation I can. But otherwise I try to rely on the back ones because I'm worried about breaking my front fork. My advice to you is just to check out how your bike brakes at high speed. If you don't like the way it's working, change it. 99% of the time, a simple rear brake is probably all that you need, but it's that extra 1% you gotta worry about.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Dougan I suggest you give the dual brake handle a shot if you can, Then you can adjust your brakes so that you will use both equally taking some of the stopping force off of your front forks but you won't be relying solely on your rear brakes. I would never ride my MB with only the rear brakes. In my opinion that is just asking for problems.