what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I note that it may be the case that a larger gap could cause the spark to wait fractionally for the voltage to climb higher to jump the gap - in fact, a too large gap may cause the spark to wait forever.

Also, this may affect the quality of the spark in terms of its ability to start a good burn.
You are correct on both accounts.
However.. changing the spark plug gap to tune the timing is not the best or sometimes correct way to go about it.
The spark plug gap should be set up for best overall performance and burn needs of the engine covering the entire range of RPM's and loads encountered.
Let the ignition system do it's job of controlling when the spark occurs.
Note: spark plug gap also affects it's heat saturation, you can affect a spark plug to operate hotter by opening up the gap a little. Closing it will cause it to run a little cooler. This can help tune the operating heat range of the spark plug to be more or less resistant to fouling or overheating.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I've done a bunch of stuff lately with my bike, but today's couldn't go unreported.
I fired up my new chopper for the first time. Took it around the block a bunch of times to get started on running it in.
Happy to hear its voice. My custom header work might have been a lucky combo as it's nice and quiet.
Here's a pic as it is. There's still a lot to do to neaten it up and paint it, but I'm going to run all the bugs out before addressing that.

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Today will be 'seal everything' and solder connections day for the new bike.

I took it up the lane (uphill) behind the garage and on the way down when I engaged the motor it went 'whut-whut-whut-POP-whut-whut-POP-POP-whut-BrAP! BraAaAaAAAAAAAAAA!' started! It's alive!

There's not much to it, but I posted a thread over here for it.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
Today I rode the bike around the neighborhood a few times. I have been working so much lately haven't had time to ride. My next upgrade is the bigger chain. I'm using bicycle chain for the drive side.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Yesterday I struggle with mounting a motorcycle tire on a moped rim only to find that it wouldn't seat right in one area. Took it off and sold it today, then ordered one that I hope works out better. Today I mounted the front tire on its rim and cut a couple slots in the hub to be able to use the speed-o gear head (or what ever it is called). The tire went on really nice an should give me a lot of service out of it. This is going on my Puch Bobber...

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
After my first run on the new build, (pic shown a few posts ago) I found it to be a bit rattly- more than expected for a new build. Found out it had rattled off the rear mount bracket and nuts completely!
Lucky I didn't push it too hard at all and parked it.
Replaced missing bits last night with new bolts and nylocks etc so am excited about continuing the run in after work today.

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
Blew another woodruff key. This time on the chain drive gear. Can i get this welded on? Will it mess stuff up if i ever have to take it apart?

Also, adjusted the carb. Believe i have the nt. Moved the c clip up one notch. Its gettin really cold here.

Still my daily driver...saved me so much in gas money this summer....its paid for itself.

Peace

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Installed my cns carb with the stupid brass cap taken off so i can adjust the air-fuel mixture, getting way better performance than my NT. I love it. I have enough power to do small power-wheelies.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Is that the optional cigarette lighter?
Lol yes it is but Im giving up smoking now...

Slowly but surely getting rid of the gold wheels, put the original Dyno wheel on the front with a Kenda K838 tire and Avid single 5 hardware plus some Koolstop brake pads.

Motorbicycleracing is sending me a 36T sprocket, Im going to give it a try and if it feels right Im going to get a sprocket adaptor for the other Dyno wheel and all will match :) Cant believe how great the one K838 feels, cant wait to get the rear tire replaced.

Also took a couple hour ride today, it was a blistering 35 degrees outside lol.

Pic I snapped when I was out and about today....

Dan.