Attention new members!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Please be sure to give as much info about your bicycle and engine as possible when asking for help. The more we know about it, the better we can help.
"I have a new motor and it made a funny noise and quit" is NOT going to do much but make eyes roll...
DON'T be afraid to ask what seem like dumb questions if you don't know. We were ALL noobs at one point...
DO tell us everything you can about your bike and the problem you are having.
DO search the classic and sticky threads. Almost EVERY possible issue is in there somewhere...
DO try to write clearly and rationally. Pretend your english teacher is reading your posts. SPELL CHECK!
DON'T take everything you see or hear as gospel truth. Get several opinions and choose the one that seems best for your issue.
DON'T get offended if someone posts something different than you. Opinions vary.
DO remember to have fun! These little toys can be a source of endless joy and satisfaction if you approach it with the right frame of mind. They can also drive grown men to throw things through the garage wall in frustration.
I always step back and take a break when things start getting irritating. Coming back at a problem after a nice break gives me fresh ideas.

The resources here from all these incredibly talented people can help you get the most out of your motorized bicycle!
Just dive in and keep smiling!
*hides pile of broken engine parts and tries to look innocent*

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Maniac 57 and Desert Rat remember we've go women on this forum as well. Just like in Sprint Cup racing its "Drivers start your engines". It's great motor bicycling is no longer just a man thing.

Reactions: Beastmodepink82

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Good thread. We also have a lot of young teens on the site that are trying to stay out of trouble, Has anybody read the Hardknockforum? Some of the language on there would offend a sailor.

Glenda

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
I am considering purchasing a motorizedHuffy 26" men's Cranny Beachcruiser The seller says he purchased it for $500 new and wants to sell it for $100. The only problem is a carburetor problem. He says he doesn't know what is wrong with it and doesn't care to get it fixed. He says it works sometimes and other times doesn't. I haven't seen the bike yet but will this week. I do not know what kind of motor it as on it. Can you give me some advise as to whether I should purchase it or not? Thanks

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I am considering purchasing a motorizedHuffy 26" men's Cranny Beachcruiser The seller says he purchased it for $500 new and wants to sell it for $100. The only problem is a carburetor problem. He says he doesn't know what is wrong with it and doesn't care to get it fixed. He says it works sometimes and other times doesn't. I haven't seen the bike yet but will this week. I do not know what kind of motor it as on it. Can you give me some advise as to whether I should purchase it or not? Thanks
Glenda look the bike and engine over real good for cracks. Take pictures of the bike and find out as much information as possible about it. (Type of engine, cc size, etc...). Make sure the tank doesn't leak. Things like that. Also depending on where you live in Florida you could have police harassment. Some locations are worse than others. So look up and read Florida's moped laws. (Must have peddles, under 50 cc, no manual clutching, no manual gear shifting). Once you've gotten pictures and information then post it and we can better help you. If you have a friend who knows something about motorized bikes then take this person with you.

Most of us here are very hardcore about our bikes and wouldn't give them up when something simple could fix them. So I'm suspicious of the reason why this person wants to sell his bike in the first place. If you don't have an experienced builder with you don't buy it until after you post pictures and information here first.

Last edited:

motor-bike80

Jun 14, 2013
australia
Re: clutch lever

hi everyone, i just registered on this forum :), i was wondering if my engine kit is faulty, because the clutch lever (on the output sprocket cover) just moves like nothing is happening, i don't think its engaging or disengaging the clutch because the output sprocket does not turn at all, but if i use the spark plug tool to turn it, is turns. is there anything i can try to do? help would be much appreciated, thx!

Ralord1977

May 29, 2013
Columbus ohio
Not sure how to post this. Need serious help with motor.everything is installed though the piston or internals keep sticking. When I drop the clutch it just slips I have it adjusted to disengage past the locking lever so I know that isn't the problem. My question is can I put a few drops of two stroke oil in the cylinder to help the internals move?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think another important thing all newbies should learn is:
How do Forums Work?

A web site like this is like a giant convention center with multiple wings called Forums. Each forum 'wing' has multiple sub-forums to narrow down your interest to a different part of that wing, and inside each of them have multiple meeting rooms for a specific things called a Topic.

It is a Topic you create, read and reply to.
Every topic has a Title and THE TITLE is the single most important line of text you will type.

Regular visitors, the ones that will be helping you, just scan recent topic titles. If your questions is about a 2-stroke carb, put that in the title.

An example of useless titles are:
'It won't start!'
'Is this broke?'
'well this sucks...'

When it comes to Replying to a Topic try to keep it relevant to the FIRST POST and Forum it is, important topics tend to stray literally off-topic when someone asks something that should be asked in a completely different building, section and forum in this convention center and here is an example.

This is the 'Motorized Bicycle Welcome" building in the 'Welcome to World of Motorized Bicycles' forum, with an 'Attention new members!' title.
This is like the lobby for new guests to read the signs on the wall and find the right place to get answers.

Please take the time to explore the different forums here and don't just post your questions in the most recent topic like this in this topic.
my motor wont turn over when i pedal bike do you know what could be wrong stephen1
Talk about the worst place to ask for problem solving help, it's a 'what to do and not do' for newbies topic in the New Members section!

That reply here would be a DO NOT stephen1 but no harm no foul bud, we were all new once ;-}

Just try to be mindful of a Topics first post and the Forum it is in and do a Forum Search on adjusting your clutch, there are plenty of topics on that or just make a new topic in the 2-stroke motor forum.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I may step in here to offer another suggestion? New members often do not understand that posting the same question in multiple sections of the forum is not the way to get an answer.

Select a sub-forum that relates to your problem or question. Example: Your clutch won't disengage. Go to the trouble shooting section and post your question there, once. Don't move around the forum duplicating your question in several areas in hopes of getting a better response. That's considered poor forum etiquette and multiple and duplicate posts or threads will be removed by the staff.

By all means, as was suggested before, try using the Google Custom Search feature located at the top of each page you visit. Type in any keyword/s (example: Spark Plug) and you'll immediately be rewarded with many pages of discussion on that topic. Of course if you don't find an answer there you're free to ask but select the appropriate sub-section to post your inquiry and only post it once.

Tom

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Oh wow I cringed hard when I read those 3 new member posts in this thread. I just joined myself, but I knew how the forum worked lol. It happens in every forum though so like KC said, no harm no foul.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Right now I'm too drunk to know if I'm in the right section; trying to find the tavern. LOL
(smiles at Jerry) but it does bring up another important newbie point, where the heck are you here?

Most every forum web site has a 'You are HERE' map at the top like this.

The text is all clickable links to that area.

Clicking the 'Motorized Bicycle - Engine Kit Forum' will list All the Main Forums.
Clicking a Main Forum like 'Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum' you see all the Sub-Forums, 2 in this case.
Clicking a Sub-Forum will show you all the Topics in that Sub Forum, hence this 'Attention new members' Topic, clicking it here will simply put you back to the first post here in the Topic you are in.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
(smiles at Jerry) but it does bring up another important newbie point, where the heck are you here?

Most every forum web site has a 'You are HERE' map at the top like this.

The text is all clickable links to that area.

Clicking the 'Motorized Bicycle - Engine Kit Forum' will list All the Main Forums.
Clicking a Main Forum like 'Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum' you see all the Sub-Forums, 2 in this case.
Clicking a Sub-Forum will show you all the Topics in that Sub Forum, hence this 'Attention new members' Topic, clicking it here will simply put you back to the first post here in the Topic you are in.
That is genius.... I'm off too see the wizard.....!

dance1

TJones

Feb 11, 2014
Helena
I am new to the motorized bike world. I am very good at building things though. I want to put a motor on a full suspension mountain bike. I plan on using the bike as normal and with the motor from time to time. I want to know what is the best mountain bike out there that is capable of having a motor installed on it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks