First build: Genesis Onyx 29" cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@happyvalley - Thanks for the good info, I'll give it a try.

@ocscully - Thanks for the link, but I'd really like to find tires that are at least 2.125 wide. If you look a couple pages back you'll see the tread pattern my current tires have. I'd like to find another set like them. The originals are made in Hungary, so not likely to find another set here in the US (and Kent doesn't stock -any- replacement / repair parts).

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Those are good tires. I am running the 26x2 on the OP. Good tread design for a friction drive and rated to 65 psi. I run it at 50-55.

Yeah, you have to buy at a bike shop and they are sold at list.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Another update: Spent a couple hours trying to bend the FD mount in such a way that it would put the middle of the roller squarely above the tire, but finally got it. I gave it a quick test, but not enough of a test to see if anything has changed.

I also went to K-Mart and picked up a mirror ( Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com ) but unfortunately every time I hit a bump the mirror shifted. It has one of those ball type joints which isn't nearly as tight as it should be. Unless someone knows of a way to keep the ball joint from slipping, I'm going to have to return this one and find something else.

At this point the bike is very nearly done. Now it's time to start putting some mileage on this puppy! ;)

Gablesleo

Jun 11, 2011
Miami, Fl
I want to buy a Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle from walmart like you did. Hows the ride on it? is it tough to pedal with the weight of your motor?

You think itd look good with 66cc mounted in the frame?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I want to buy a Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle from walmart like you did. Hows the ride on it? is it tough to pedal with the weight of your motor?

You think itd look good with 66cc mounted in the frame?
The stock seat doesn't have springs, so after a while it starts to feel kind of hard. One of the things I may do is to replace the seat with a better one.

I haven't tried pedaling since I added the motor, but I don't imagine it would make it too much tougher. It's not really that heavy and the friction drive, when raised, doesn't add any drag at all.

There was a guy in Florida who installed a 66cc in frame to his. Plenty of room but you'll need some custom mounts for the oversized tubes. I chose not to go with a chain drive, the friction drive was much easier to install.

Gablesleo

Jun 11, 2011
Miami, Fl
There was a guy in Florida who installed a 66cc in frame to his. Plenty of room but you'll need some custom mounts for the oversized tubes. I chose not to go with a chain drive, the friction drive was much easier to install.
Do you know if he had any trouble installing the gas tank on the center tube?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Didn't look like he had any problems. Did you see the other "29" cruiser" thread? He mounted a tear drop gas tank in his build.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thought I'd post a "final" picture of the bike. Only things I've changed were that I removed the chain guard because it was so wimpy and rattled badly, and I cleaned up the wiring for the kill switch. I also got the FD nice and level after a bit more tweaking. I'm happy with her now so I've decided to sell her and build another! The next bike will be a multi-speed mountain bike with an electrical drive. :)

Attachments

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
That looks like it will be a very nice motorized bicycle! I would advise that you get some heavy duty wheels that have 36 spokes (12 gage). They will not only be safer, but they will give you some better options for a billet rear sprocket & hub adapter.
The wheelset on these (though open ball) are 48 spoke double wall Deep V aluminum. They are pretty beefy as is, and the nice thing about the hub is that they work perfect with the coaster. No need for adaption. Even the dust cap stays in tact.

Unfortunately, since it is a deep V rim with a welded seem, you can not use a rim brake. The frame has no mounting options for a brake. A caliper brake INMO is the worst option period under any circumstance. You're best bet would be to spend the extra $$$ and go for a disc conversion kit, and run a disc brake on this.

One bonus to the 29" wheels though is the gear inch ratio. If you are running an unmodified 2 stroke, and the standard 48-T sprocket, you should have no trouble maintaining a cool 33mph. I rode one for a while before making the mistake of letting a friend ride it. R.I.P.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
This is a pretty old thread, and sometimes the op isn't around for awhile.
You'll have to do some modification to add caliper brakes to one of these. As far as the tank, take your time, be careful, and it should go. The manufacturing specs on these kits is not ideal, so each is just a little bit different, so don't force it to the point that you break your tank. You can use the search bar up top too, this has been covered elsewhere.
Here's a link to a build I did on this bike;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57089

Maybe you can get a feel for it there.
You may want to start your own build thread? Add lot's of pics if you can.
Good luck!