Electric motors, mounts and freewheels.

GoldenMotor.com

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
OK, I've been reading up on motors, controllers, and batteries.
I'm looking to build up a budge electric motor kit, so the hub drive is out.

I've found the Currie (disc brake side) and TNC mounts (derailer (sp?) side) for cheaper than I can make a mount.

Freewheels and rear hubs.

Disc side drive options look like:
a) Hub adapter.
b) Mount fixed sprocket using the disc mount, put freewheel on the motor.
How often are are the bolts ripped out?
c) Hub adapted specifically for a freewheel. (Currie rear hub)

Gear side options.
a) Remove the cassette and put on 2 freewheels like in this kit.
DIY KIT ELECTRIC MOTOR 24V 250W + BRACKET VAE E-BIKE - eBay (item 200526386729 end time Dec-01-10 02:39:06 PST)

Item number: 200526386729

Is there a way to remove an 8-speed cassette, put in a 5 or 6 speed cassette and run 2 freewheels? Since the rear hub gear side is designed to take the stress of a drive system, this seems like the best way to go.

The more I read, the less money I see wasting on the wrong hardware.

Thank you in advance.

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hello K,
I have no experiance with the currie systems so I can not comment on if its a good deal or not.

I know fitting 2 freewheels on the right is an easy proposition. Just using a $5 BB cup set & a pr of standard bmx freewheels.
I use serial drive on the right for 99% of my projects & save the left for the disc brakes
here is a link to twin freewheeling:
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Mounting TWO freewheels on one rear wheel hub

here are a couple pics of it on my bikes:

Now regarding your question...I don't think you have room to run a casset & 2freewheels. we did a project to broach White industries "eno's" to allow putting 2 freewheels on a casset hub.This gives total isolation of pedals from motor. But unless you can modify a casset cog set to 5/8" or so (3 gears max) you are stuck with singe speed for the pedal side of the drive trane.
Here is a link to an epic thread about broaching freewheels:
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Fitting freewheels to splined freehub drivers
the good info is on pages 23-30
That should open a few options for you.
Hope that helps.
Good Luck. T

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
Thank you for all of that information.

The part in the kit on eBay that looked rather unique.
It now looks like a BMX bottom bracket part, given a new duty.

And my idea was to put two freewheels on a cassette or a truncated cassette.
This is all new to me, but I find the McGuyver / Frankenstein aspect intriguing.

Combined with 2 freewheels.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I prefer motor drive and manual pedal drive lines to be on seperate sides. Forum member Recumpence sells a disk brake sprocket adapter that allows for mounting of large sprockets AND still use the disk brake. You then run a freewheel on your motor output instead of having freewheels on the rear. IMO only it looks lil cleaner and less cluttered, i'm more about the looks than my buddy Thudster, he ain't a big a w a n k e r as me hehehe...

KiM

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
I prefer motor drive and manual pedal drive lines to be on seperate sides. Forum member Recumpence sells a disk brake sprocket adapter that allows for mounting of large sprockets AND still use the disk brake. You then run a freewheel on your motor output instead of having freewheels on the rear. IMO only it looks lil cleaner and less cluttered, i'm more about the looks than my buddy Thudster, he ain't a big a w a n k e r as me hehehe...

KiM
Hi,

Do you have a link to that part?
I have been unable to find it anywhere.
Lots of new information, but no part for sale.

Thanks,

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
PM Recumpence (Matt) Either on this forum or Endless Sphere forum and place an order, there is no 'link' to buy one, Matt is the man when it comes to components for rc motored e-bikes, he makes reduction drives, mounting hard ware for them, slipper clutches etc etc My cruiser runs one of Matt's single stage reduction drives and CnCed chain cover. He has a rock solid reputation on the Endless Sphere forums where he is avery active member, you wouldn't find a single person un-pleased with Matts work, I'ts impeccable and very well priced for components of such highly quality and standard of finish, i believe IIRC the sprocket adapter is only $US50 plus freight.

Kings Sales and Service groups also do Super Sprockets and Top Hat Sprocket Adapters. They are alot more pricey and IMHO not as good as what Matt makes.

I have attached pictures of the disk brake sprocket adapters, for a lil extra i believe you could get them in anodized finish also...

KiM

Attachments

Last edited: