Big Guy

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Any standard engine kit. I wiegh 250+ and run a 36 tooth gear on My Pig. Stock engine internals with a tuned pipe, a FredHead, and Lightning CDI.
Totes my big behind around every day just fine.
If you are REALLY heavy, run the stock gearing (44 tooth)

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm 280# and carry about 30# extra on my back on average. 66cc with NT carb and Voodoo pipe. I found that I needed a 56T sprocket on my 29" wheel until I got the knack of tuning the engine properly; the biggest concern was adequate torque for the moderate hills around me, and the desire to avoid over-stressing the engine. I now run a 44T, and average about 27MPH on the flats and can top-out @ 32MPH which is PLENTY fast IMHO. I should note that this is my daily-driver...I literally ride it every day about 20-30 miles.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm about 225# and the 66cc kits are doing just fine for me, I'm running a 44 tooth on mine right now but it's begging for a smaller rear sprocket since it accelerates very quickly to top speed of about 32mph and runs out of rpm. I'm sure that setup would push a 300+ pound rider just fine with the 40 or 44 tooth rear sprocket and a fairly close to stock engine.

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
Ya bro, welcome to the club, I have never been over 300 lbs. in my life, being at 6'6"
Probably all the beer and chocolate milk I been drinking, tho lately the vodka gets it done quicker and cheaper. From what I gather, a 66cc engine, like the Grubee one I be gettin, is sufficient, then its all about the gearing and the 44T is the way to go from my research. I just popped back on, cuz I always price out electric kits first for a DIY its a cool $600+, I know gassers the way to go at $180 shipped!!!!!!, but just a little extra power would be nice I think, you know what I mean. Ive beeen eyeing that Grubee for a loooooong time, but a 120cc would be better right, double the cc's must mean double the HP, then I say to myself what about frabrication. I can do it, just a matter of price and time and tools. Final Opinion is Just have fun with a simple kit for $180, see where it goes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...but a 120cc would be better right, double the cc's must mean double the HP...
This is a common assumption, but no less untrue for it's frequency - as a popular example the 50cc two strokes can be as low as 2hp or a mighty 9hp, even more... but this is based on quality & design, not brand or retailer. "There's no replacement for displacement" a misunderstood misnomer to say the least.

Research carefully before you buy, dismiss all advertising with a very large grain of salt - if the specifications are unavailable and/or cannot be confirmed by another, unaffiliated source... it's likely untrue ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i beg to differ but my example would be kinda extreme since this is about
small motors (lawn mower/ edger motors in basic terms)
If you're comparing two of the exact same design types, differing only by displacement - then in this very specific instance displacement might help dictate which one is more powerful, but it's quite unlikely to be double the HP for twice the size even then.

The 50cc I believe qualifies as a small motor, the above two stroke examples could be the commonplace motorized bicycle two stroke kit motors (2hp) vs the 50cc Morini, KTM50 & their clones (9hp), of which are 4x the HP at a minimum vs their exact same displacement comparison.

A common small displacement four stroke example relevant to this application would be the 99cc Harbor Freight Predator vs the 49cc Honda CRF50 & clones, both of which are just about 3hp... despite doubling the displacement.

Displacement alone means very little in generality, pretty much limited to knowing which parts ya need to order, there's so many flavors even with common engine types - piston ported, case inducted, reeded or the flathead & OHV conundrum, the bore vs stroke ratio, compression ratio, the quality of manufacture... there's too many variables, just to many exceptions to list lol, let alone to trust a catchphrase ;)

...as for landscaping equipment, give weedwackers & model airplane engines a google - similar in displacement, it's amazing what 14,000rpm+ can do :D

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
i agree with you barely the example i was pointing at, at being a little extreme for this topic here was car motors specifically racing engines

but for these types of motors yes you are right 2strokes make more hp for the same cc........

i been looking for 99cc hf motor but it seems HF don't list them only 79cc
ahh well i'll look else where

If you're comparing two of the exact same design types, differing only by displacement - then in this very specific instance displacement might help dictate which one is more powerful, but it's quite unlikely to be double the HP for twice the size even then.

The 50cc I believe qualifies as a small motor, the above two stroke examples could be the commonplace motorized bicycle two stroke kit motors (2hp) vs the 50cc Morini, KTM50 & their clones (9hp), of which are 4x the HP at a minimum vs their exact same displacement comparison.

A common small displacement four stroke example relevant to this application would be the 99cc Harbor Freight Predator vs the 49cc Honda CRF50 & clones, both of which are just about 3hp... despite doubling the displacement.

Displacement alone means very little in generality, pretty much limited to knowing which parts ya need to order, there's so many flavors even with common engine types - piston ported, case inducted, reeded or the flathead & OHV conundrum, the bore vs stroke ratio, compression ratio, the quality of manufacture... there's too many variables, just to many exceptions to list lol, let alone to trust a catchphrase ;)

...as for landscaping equipment, give weedwackers & model airplane engines a google - similar in displacement, it's amazing what 14,000rpm+ can do :D