JB Weld-What Can I expect:Exhaust ?

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hey you All, hows it goin ?

I have an Exhaust problem hooking up a non custom Exhaust it looks like a

weld job is needed, . . but for now I'd like to fasten some parts that will be under pressure from the cylinder exhaust, . . . .

is there a chance I can use JB Weld or what, . . . does anyone have any experience with it ?

From what I read about it working on oil rigs and bulldozers, I am thinking, . .

is this a lot of bull ?

cto805

Dec 10, 2008
Orcutt
jb weld is amazing stuff, you can pretty much do anything with it. it should be no problem for your exhaust

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't used jb weld for it, but it'll probably work. Just gotta watch out for cracks that may develop due to vibration.

I use that muffler repair putty junk and it works, but cracks after a while, requiring another application.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've tried in a bind during one of my kart races when my header pipe cracked. JB Weld is great stuff but with the vibration and extreme heat, it didn't hold up. If its at a place where it doesn't get too hot or vibrate, you might be okay. Good luck.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for the feed back !

Well, I with the pessimist concerning heat and vibration, in other words I agree, like I had to solder a part close to the manifold it held for a few minutes but when the heat got up it popped out and failed, I have re soldered three times and the last time I tacked it on pretty good, but my guess is it won't hold, How hot does that get ? I was told around 250 f.
but don't know for sure and tin lead solder is pretty soft.

Looks like maybe some welding !

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Brazing would probably work pretty good and is fairly easy to do. I prefer wire feed welding. Thats my favorite way......................

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm sure if you have everything ready to go. A welder would do it for under $20. Please learn for my many mistakes. LOL Do it right the first time. It will save you money and time. I've learned the hard ways many times. I would spend a few bucks at a time fixing something that would be a temporary then finally kick down the money to finally do it the right way.

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Muffler patch kit worked for 1 day for me, before the hole worked its way around to the other side and made the muffler break in two pieces. If its a hole that doesn`t cause structural damage(IE a puncture vs. your muffler cracking in two pieces from vibration and heat.) I`m guessing the patch kit will work but it doesnt look pretty.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Gotcha on the patch kit, I used some stuff called, DEVCON, metal patch fill, with a couple of tries and then layering over screw type hose bands, I finally got it to hold, It's not to bad so far!

I know it's temporary, and I'm gonna do some permanent work.

But it's doin the job.

Thanks much bikers !

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Jason,

I get the idea, I won't be messing with it to much, before I get it fixed, oh so just right !

erv h

Dec 15, 2008
union gap, wa
hi erv here back in 78 i jb welded a cb 750 honda bottom & top crank case togeather filed used yamabond were the drive chain broke a hole in the case i got another 5 years out of her didnt leak a drop of oil jb is good stuff if mixed right also jb a atc 90 were chain broke case i would only use if it were to be perment erv