No more flats!... I hope

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm way to work today I got a flat.

Good tire, good tube, and tube liner.

Either way a very small nail and a industrial staple took me down at the same time. Got someone to pick me up and get me to work.

While on the clock, I took apart my rear wheel and patched my tube for two holes.

I didn't wanna get a flat again so I began to think of stuff that will make a good tube liner.... I though layered duck tape sounded like a good idea but then a I saw an old tire strap from one of my jobs car trailers.

Its about 2mm thick and very hard to stick a knife trough... Got a long enough piece, fit it in my tire, and aired it up.

Hopefully no more flats, at least in the rear wheel.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Good tire, good tube, and tube liner.
...old tire strap from one of my jobs car trailers.
Clever ;-}
I am curious about your 'good tube, tire and liner' however.
I bullet-proof tires with just an HD tube, great liner and just stock tire.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I used to live in Idaho, and when I'd get back from mountain-biking my tires would be FULL of goatheads, some of them a couple inches long. I couldn't get through a ride without ruining a tube.

I got a liner, and it didn't help.

Then I went to a bike shop and was recommended a teflon-coated liner, and 6 years later I was still using the same tube. It's very, very hard... but most importantly, slick enough to deflect sidewall punctures to the front, and front punctures to the sidewall. This may cause damage to your tire, but your tube should be just fine =)

And of course, don't forget excessive amounts of slime =)

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I have a serfas drifter tire, a thicker than average tube and a tube liner

And I've already had two flats with that set up

Hopefully this home-brewed liner prevents me from getting any more flats.

When they start changing the straps on the trailers, I'll try and get a hold of a couple more for my other bikes

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I have to second the teflon liner. The biggest benefit is that it doesn't just stop sharp objects, it deflects them away from the tube. I also use a really thick slime tube, and tires with a kevlar belt. Never had a flat once in near 2000 miles.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
When I was younger I used to cut the sidewalls off old tires and use them as tire liners. It took some work to get the tube to not pinch. Usually just airing it up and letting the air out several times worked.

Now a days i just use old inner tubes as liners.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I jinxed my self.

Got another flat and I just had replaced the tube with a $10 heavy duty one

It was a 1" screw that went trough my new home brew tire liner.

Idk if any type of tire liner, tube, or tire combination could stoped that sharp SOB of a screw:-||

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I ride to work and back, about a 28 mile round trip.

All ride in is in the streets, but most of time on the side of road cause my little motors can't always cruise with traffic.

And lol that a funny way to get a flat