First build preparation and planning.

GoldenMotor.com

ralv77

Jan 18, 2010
Miami
So, I plan on doing my first build within a month or so and, at this point, I'm still in the stage where I am figuring out exactly what bike and parts to purchase. I will be building a cruiser type MB with most likely a 2-stroke engine. But I have a lot of questions and concerns that I feel i should cover way before the build process. First I'd like to tell you roughly what I have planned, then my concerns.

The bike I'm most interested in using is the Schwinn Del Mar cruiser. I like its look, design and the fact that it already has a rear rack.
I'm going to use a 2-stroke 80/66cc engine, although I'm not exactly certain which engine to go with.
I also would like to add a v-brake, switch to a springer fork and add some lights.

Now, some of my concerns are as follows:
1) The Del Mar is my current bike of choice, but so far, I have yet to find it available to be ordered online, Wal-Mart has it on their website at a great price but they're out of stock or something. Does anyone know another place I can find one?
2) Aside from what is included in standard engine kits, exactly what other parts would I need to purchase in order to get the engine complete and up and running?
3) I don't completely know the difference between using a 2 or 4 stroke engine. Could anyone possibly list some pro's and con's?
4) If I were to use a bike with multiple speeds (such as the Schwinn Riverside) is there any way that I could build the motor to take advantage of the multiple speeds? I'm just curious, really.
5) I know theres more i was wondering about, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank :p

Well thats it for now, I'd greatly appreciate some help as I need to make up my mind already, can't wait to start cruisin'
brnot

Thanks guys
Richard.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
To answer your question # 4. Yes there is a way to take advantage of the multiple speeds. It is called a Shift Kit available at Sick bike Parts (look for advertisement around on the side of the forum). However, installing this kit requires an experience in building an MB. So it is up to you.

But if you prefer to go with a single sprocket. I highly recommend to get a sprocket adapter available at Creative Engineering (advertisement also on the side). I you like to make your build really easy then get his engine mount too. Enjoy!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The Schwinn Jaguar is also a very good bike to motorize!
I personally prefer the 2-strokes over the 4s... & if you get a bike with front & rear brakes that both use brake cables, I highly recomend getting a dual pull brake lever!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
ralv77 said:
1) The Del Mar is my current bike of choice, but so far, I have yet to find it available to be ordered online, Wal-Mart has it on their website at a great price but they're out of stock or something. Does anyone know another place I can find one?
Walmart.com: Schwinn Men's 26'' Delmar Cruiser: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

I'd just check around a bit with other mega-mall type places (Kmart, Target, etc. and go there to double check - they're often clueless), they're not exactly exclusive lol If that fails, call a few bike shops.

ralv77 said:
2) Aside from what is included in standard engine kits, exactly what other parts would I need to purchase in order to get the engine complete and up and running?
Just "up and running"? Nothin' but what's in the kit... but some basic "upgrades" I'd recommend would be a NGK B5HS or B6HS spark plug, Jim's Sprocket Adapter and defo check this thread out: http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html

ralv77 said:
3) I don't completely know the difference between using a 2 or 4 stroke engine. Could anyone possibly list some pro's and con's?
Price lol, the rest is mostly a matter to debate ;) (I'm biased, I love the simplicity and looks of the 2smokers)

ralv77 said:
4) If I were to use a bike with multiple speeds (such as the Schwinn Riverside) is there any way that I could build the motor to take advantage of the multiple speeds? I'm just curious, really.
As Kevron mentioned, check this out: Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit although I will say it's no more complicated than the engine installation. If you DO decide to get one, the above advice regarding the chain tensioner and sprocket adapter obv doesn't apply as you won't need them. (I do reco the HD shifter kit for the better freewheel bearing BTW).

ralv77 said:
5) I know theres more i was wondering about, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank :p
As do I... frequently. We'll be here when they pop up tho (^)

Last edited: