Copper Gas Line??

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
I did a seach of the Forum and really didn't find anything specific about the topic of copper gas lines. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to even start to put a copper gas line on my bike? Or if you know of a thread that has started that I can look at...thank you greatly.

--Eric--

.shft.

SlowmobileRider

Mar 14, 2011
Overland Park, KS
it works. flexible copper tubing is available at any hardware store. bend it to the shape you want. it's easiest to hook up if you use rubber line to go over the carb and petcock barbs.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup, that's what i do. you want some flexibilty in it, so a short piece, like an inch or inch and a half at the carb and the tank will take care of it.

the loop people put in them isn't really necessary (but looks cool) if you use rubber ends. it's a "shock loop" and is designed for bikes with compression fittings that hook up to the carb and tank. same idea as brake lines on a car with loops or extra bends. it provides some flex, or in the case of a collision, the bends can stretch out so you still have brakes.

i use refrigeration lines, like for an ice maker on a fridge.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While copper is so malleable it's quite easy to make lines by hand, if you have tighter bends (like the loops some favor) you stand a chance of flattening/kinking the tubing or just irregular curves.

The least expensive brake/fuel line tubing bender is simply a spring with the same ID as the tubing's OD, slipping it over the tubing it helps prevent distortion while bending. Flaring & cutting tools are also ofc handy lol

Given ya can get a basic kit w/all of the above for like $12 ya might wanna consider something like this: Amazon.com: Pipe Cutting + Flaring Kit - Cutter, Bending Springs, F: Home Improvement although it's great for copper & even mild steel, if yer considering stainless you'll wanna kick it up a bit and get some bending pliers like these: Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648485 Deluxe Tube Bending Pliers: Home Improvement

Such small tubing is handy for other things as well ofc, I used it w/flared ends (to prevent wire chafe) to route the wiring for my hub genny & lighting to keep things tidy;

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i'm going to go the whole copper route.

i was & the local fleamarket & a guy is going to sell me a flare tool & cutter for $10.

thanx for mentioning the spring bender. i forgot all about that & was going to buy the kind that presses by screwing a bolt.