New here.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
about three tanks for me.... but i never ran mine hard I just did a few miles a day when the weather was good enough

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
It's my only means of transportation, so I don't think it will take me very long to get through three tanks. I let one of buddies ride it and he already took down a trail and through a mud hole. I love this thing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
we all love them and I'll be darned if I know why and my wife says im nuts.. why would i ride it in the cold when I have a perfectly good car. That car is on the block in a month... LOL i haven't moved it in a month and before that it was like once a week tops.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
James- I wouldn't get too crazy in the mud/water/dust with your bicycle motor until you replace the air filter with something a little better.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Kinda messed up the welds but were already puttin together another motor mount that will look better and be much stronger. My buddy works at a fabrication shop and were makin up plans for a dashboard and lighting system that will include rear turn signals, tail and brake light, and a head light. Might mount the speedo somewhere on it to, or just next to it. Let me know what you think.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I've done a lot of riding in the last two days. I am amazed at the gas mileage, it's gonna take me longer than I thought to burn up three tanks. I've been asked by about a hundred people what I was ridin on and I think these things are gonna get a lot more popular. One thing that worries me a little bit is a funny squeal noise that I hear once I get goin pretty fast. It sounds like a belt squeal in a car, but there aren't any belts on this thing so I'm not sure what it is. Could it be a bearing or something? I gotta say, I LOVE MY MOTORED BIKE! Any help about the squeal would be appreciated. I don't even know where to start.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now my clutch makes that sound when I let it out to fast. I wonder if yours is slipping or something like that.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Did you put the little dab of grease on the gears? Norms engine teardown shows where to put it and how much to use..............

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I read that post and post checked the engine when I first got it. It didn't have any metal dust anywhere and the gears had some grease on them. It's a wierd sound. Like an alternator belt squeal. It doesn't run different or vibrate any more, it just squeals. I'll check the grease again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've heard a lot of people say they heard a squeal, I think the deduced it was from the intake or it may have been various open ended tubes/ect whistling.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
The squeal sound is pretty much gone. Not sure what it was, just went away. I have had the worst luck with my rear tire. I've had three flats in the last 5 days. Nails every time. On my way to the same store every time. Guess I'm gonna have to find somewhere else to buy cheap wine. I think the engine is getting pretty close to broke in. When I first put the kit on, it started easy, but had to run for a few minutes before the throttle would work. Now it's hard to start, I have to roll down the big hill I live on(thankfully I live on the top of the hill) for about 45 seconds before the engine will fire up, but as soon as it starts it runs pretty smooth. I'm about half way through my third tank, and the idle adjustment screw still isn't doing anything. It is really annoying, every time I justwant to stop for a second I have to kill the engine and pedal to restart it because as soon as I pull in the clutch lever the engine revs up to about, well I really have no idea what the rpms get up to, but it is so high I have to shut it off. It is loud and annoying when I hold in the clutch. Hopefully by the time this tank is gone I can adjust the idle. I love ridin this thing though, two of my friends have said they are going to order kits, we'll see if they do. It would be nice to have someone to ride with.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
that doesn't sound right. When you turn the throttle off the needle should almost close the jet even with the idle wrong it shouldn't make that much difference.

I can think of only one possibility

the bolt at the top of the carb on what looks like a buddist temple needs to be adjusted to give more slack to the cable. that also adjusts the carb in a way.

I would try adjusting the nut on top of the carb where the cable runs through though. Start the engine and wind the nut in or out I cant remember which way it goes now. You will be able to tell the difference.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Thanks Deacon. I thought it was just part of the break in. When me and my buddy first put the kit on I thought we put all the slack in it we could. I'll give it a look real quick. I will love ridin that thing way more if I can just hold the clutch in instead of always killin and restartin the thing.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I checked the throttle cable and there wasn't any more slack I could put in it. I adjusted it the other way a little just see if it would make a difference. I'm gonna go on a little trip and see what happens. I'll be back in about a half hour.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one Deacon. That did not help. Made it way worse. Problem is, I already have all the slack I can get in it. I'm gonna take the throttle grip apart and see if something is bound or something in the grip.