Sprocket Installation Problem

GoldenMotor.com

manyguns

Mar 25, 2009
wisconsin
I've run into a problem installing the sprocket on the rear hub. The center hole of the sprocket is 1 3/8" diameter, but the hub that it has to fit over is 2" diameter. How am I going to enlarge that center hole in the sprocket so it will fit on the hub? Anyone run into this problem? Do I have to get a different sprocket? I got my kit from DAX.
Thanks, Tom

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
yes it is ,you could take it to a machine shop if ya got the bucks or get a different wheel. all the sprockets i have seen are about the same size. maybe someone else can help more. look at all the sites here or maybe email dax he knows alot. frank

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
did you take the dustcap off your wheel hub?then check the size.

mark a 2" circle on the sprocket,centered
i would use a drill with metal bit and drill holes in a circle until the middle piece comes out.
then use a dremal to get the middle piece out.

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
If you are not an a big hurry you can send it to me. I will bore it any size you want for free. All it would cost you is the shipping. Or I can bore one that I have and ship it to you for just the price of the sprocket and shipping.

John

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I wish I came across this earlier......I would have sent you mine to do!

The way I did this was I first found something close to the size of the hub. Then after drawing it on the sprocket, I used one of those powered jigsaws and cut notches to my line, all the way around my drawn circle. Then I pried out a couple of pieces and went ahead and cut the circle out with the jigsaw. It was then that I used the die grinder and it came out really well.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I did this before, I accurately measured from the sprocket teeth towards the centre and marked out as many dots as I can with a permanent marker, then joined to them up to make the circle. Then I filed (with half round file) accurately from the original hole evenly towards the circle. Was a bit hard, but I got the size fairly accurately and some more muscles in the upper arms too! ;) Good Luck..

Last edited:

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
One thing to keep in mind is that the bolt holes on the sprocket are centered, so that if you center the bolt holes when you are mounting the sprocket the sprocket teeth are also going to be centered too. And therefore the centered accuracy of the center hole is moot, just winds up looking goofy if out of center.

manyguns

Mar 25, 2009
wisconsin
I got it. I used a hole saw. It was a little difficult because there was no place for a pilot hole, but I put a board unter it and that worked. Thanks for the offers of help and the good advice.
Tom

tf2psycho

Apr 23, 2009
california
i had to use a dremel and grind the sproket hole, i removed the bearing hub cover and grinded the edge of the hub cover so it covers the bearing like a washer