Compression after 9 Months

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Howdy Mates, Its been awhile.

I have had this 80cc running now for about 9 Months, and put a few miles on it a week,

to give you an idea, I doubt that I have used more than 7 gallons of gas, but recently

noticed, it runs OK, but it seems a little harder to kick off, meaning, . . It used to pop off easily

and start right up, however now it doesn't fire on the the first try, after a hardy pedaling,

it fires and starts up. Has the compression changed that much or should I start checking

further?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
is the gas mix old ?
2stroke mix gets stale pretty quickly (within 2 weeks, I think)
check you plug as well ...might be fouled
mine has a little under 4k on it and takes forever to start now
(I should shoot it and put it out of it's misery, but I need it till my new drivetrain comes in)

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I guess it could be as much as two weeks, but that would be about it.

I'll try to spray some start up fluid into it next time to see if it will kick

faster and easier.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hi Pablo,
It's an AGK B6HS, its been in for 7 Months, and is pretty well carbon coated, but not really caked. Whatya think ?

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I had some similar probs, and found the muffler was chocker blocked with carbon.. cleaned it right up and it fired up right away and the power was back up again. Hope this helps.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK, Thanks I'll get on it, . .

It more than likely is one of the two of those, The things is with most start up even if it needs another try, you can here the compression stroke exhausting, But on the occasion I am getting nothing but a slow gruel to a hard pedal stop, I do not hear the compression escaping.

I'm not sure exactly what to think about that, . .?

Is that do to the fact that a burn combustion is pushing out the exhaust valve with enough pressure that it is causing the sound of exhaust escape?

If so, I guess then a clogged muffler would have similar results,

I think you guys know your 2 strokes.

I'll let you know.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Does it have power after warming it up? Mine was pretty wore out for compression at 5000 miles when It finally just didn't have power but it would start right up! Maybe spark dunno. I saw old gas give these CH a bad attitude.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
OK, Thanks I'll get on it, . .

It more than likely is one of the two of those, The things is with most start up even if it needs another try, you can here the compression stroke exhausting, But on the occasion I am getting nothing but a slow gruel to a hard pedal stop, I do not hear the compression escaping.

I'm not sure exactly what to think about that, . .?

Is that do to the fact that a burn combustion is pushing out the exhaust valve with enough pressure that it is causing the sound of exhaust escape?

If so, I guess then a clogged muffler would have similar results,

I think you guys know your 2 strokes.

I'll let you know.
Most likely. I found with mine when I opened full throttle at idle, it would rev extremely slowly at first but once it hit that higher rev, it would shoot right up meaning that there was enough pressure to escape out of the engine.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not sure I understand that because, . . once the spark ignites the fuel,
that very first sparked ignition is going to bring back an exhaust pressurized emission, that in my line of thinking can not be missed.

Having said that, the thing is when the engine has run for awhile, a mile,
then shut down, and has been off maybe 15 mins. no Problem, starts right up, so if it is the plug, . . then it must pop off better in a slightly warm engine, !
However if it has been running only a few mins, than restarting seems to lag behing resulting in a hard slow start.

I took out the muffler guts, notta!
I'm on my way to pick up another plug, . . let you know.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Not a Plug, When I removed the baffle in muffler still no results,
It starts and runs as usual, but it doesn't start as usual, it really hard pedals and still wont budge, I'll loosen the manifold connection tomorrow and try it.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
You know.. I did the same thing I took the baffle out, it seemed to be ok but guess where it was all bogged up.. right at the bend where you cant see it. I checked by blowing through the muffler and end it up with a red face!

Thats where it may be clogged in yours..

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I'll double check that, but I did loosen the muffler pipe from the manifold, . .

I am believing this is a clutch related situation, just a guess.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
lucky i have a pull start,starts up first time everytime.if that breaks i can peddal start it.
and in 9 months i'll probally buy another engine kit and bike.
to change my plug i would have to take the motor off(tight fit),so im not as long as it still works.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, . . but there is something going on here and I can't figure it!

I checked the exhaust There isn't any obstructions and I blew through the muffler it wasn't like a clear pipe , but I did blow through it, your not saying it should be really easy to blow through a muffler are you. This is not the stock muffler its a TOMOS, but I don't think any of them are really easy to blow through, there IS a Baffle in there.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
It is possible that it may have developed an air leak somewhere and a lean mixture is causing a delayed start due to more air.

When the engine is hot, it starts up right away?

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
It starts up every time but it passes the point where it started up with a fairly fast pedal and I could practically coast while engaging the clutch, and it started, . . now I have to pedal at that point and after the clutch is engaged I still have to pedal against the compression, and after a few revolutions of the pedal it starts kicking slowly and starts.

I am thinking you might have something there with the lean mixture, not sure about air leaks.

Whats the story there ? If I recall spraying around sealed joints with carb cleaner or what?

Would you change the mixture to something a little richer ?