3-speed 6-1/2hp Monarch

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
This is an experiment to see if it really is possible to post pix. This is the bike described in "Poor folks have poor ways." It is a bike with a Murray Cranbrook fork, Worksman industrial bike rear wheel, #41 chains, Hodaka 90 tank, Sturmey-Archer 3-speed rear hub tranny as a 2nd jackshaft. Coaster rear brake, caliper front. RATS, only one pix.

Attachments

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
here is another picture -- Well, I learned to hit upload each time--OK !
The 3rd pix shows the jackshaft driven by the tranny ready to have the new 18 t. sprocket welded on. The last one shows the S-A tranny in it's yoke on the foot rest frame. It is slotted for rear removal to change belt. Notice the handlebars welded to the footrest. This is typical of how we built bikes in Bartlesville OK clear back to the '40's. Very strong. Slip-belt idler clutches were also the norm. In the previous post the stud sticking out from the seat tube mounts the jackshaft pictured on a bicycle seat, #3. A trampoline spring pulls the idler pulley to the belt. A WonderHorse one works OK too. The #2 shaft actually is in a socket on the seat post (which was moved rearward for the engine) and can move slightly and a turnbuckle to the seat can slightly control chain lash. The clutch and brake peddles have grease nipples on the pivots, the rear brake chain spring connects back to the chain. The clutch peddle is used for starting. A M/C clutch handle and cable is used in riding. The exhaust pipe is a trampoline tube. I willl show the completed ass'y in next post.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's an interesting setup... I'm still in the process of staring at the photos, following the commentary and trying to absorb what you've done. Yes, it would seem like that's a lot of power, especially with the three speed tranny. Having three speeds would probably make a 99cc (I guess now they're 79cc) Harbor Freight engine adequate and give more room for an engine to fit without modifying the frame. Using the SA rear hub is intriguing, especially if it is salvaged from an old three speed bike... which it looks like your's is. If it is salvaged then that brings the cost of the build way down. And no centrifugal clutch, so more savings yet. Retaining pedals would be a value in my area in making the bike look more legal. That and a smaller engine. I'll be interested in seeing the other views of the 3 speed jack shaft. That's the part of your build of most interest to me. Pretty cool. Lots of good ideas in your build, sir.
SB

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I am trying to post 4 shots of my little scoot. Two deal with details, eg. rear fender brace from 1/2" stainless tubing and the split drum clamping the brake hub with 3 spacers through the spokes mounting the sprocket. The other 2 are of the thing cleaned up, paint improved, and a good set of handle bars.
I have run out of luck. Nothing will post even though re-sized to 600. Anyone who wants to see them email me at [email protected] and I will email offline. NUTZ:-||

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
trackfodder,

Here are the photos you were having some trouble posting. I'll start with your Lotus project and then go back to the motorbike. Your Lotus reminds me of an MGTD roadster I restored back in the late 1960's. It was a 52 I think. The body shape is similar and I had painted it canary yellow with black upholstery and trim. Quite the project you have going there.
SB

"Got tired of trying to load too many. Doing it in 3 licks HERE are the car pix. It has a 4A-GE from a Toyota 1988 GT-S sport coupe. 112 hp, 7000 redline, DOHV. 82 Corolla tranny , drive shaft (cut down), and rear end. Bod is powder coated ally, nose, front fenders,cowl FRP, rear fenders, boat trailer, frame 16 ga. 1" square tubing. Seats tractor replacements with no metal pans. column Tercel, rack, Starlett. They are called Locost and thousands are being and have been built all over the world. It will weigh ~1200 lbs and run about 120 mph, outmanouver and out accelerate most street iron. At 76 the challenges keep my brain young so maybe I can trick someone into giving me a manufacturing job again. Every car is slightly different, calling on the individual's ingenuity and resourcefulness to make it happen. I formed all my ally and took it off and had it powder coated and re-installed. Swiped a chunk of PVC sewer pipe to form my 16 ga,. hood. LOL. I assembled a metal workshop with no help other than the concrete work. Maybe I can stick a picture of it in here. Let's see"

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You are welcome, sir. How is that three speed gearbox working out? Is that salvaged from an older skinny tire bike? I ask because I have a couple of old English bikes with three speed hubs. So I'm wondering if one of mine would hold up to the power of say a 99cc Predator. I suppose it depends to some degree on what kind of primary drive one has... belt drive would be easier on it than abrupt shifts with a manual clutched chain primary drive I would think.
SB