Trying to start my first build

GoldenMotor.com

Somegasnut

Apr 16, 2012
Michigan
I have been debating starting a motor bike project for sometime now, but I keep running into the problem of what one to put on my bike. I have read and read and reread the problems with the China-girl, and given my limited space on the bike frame will not be going this route. I believe the 4 stroke engine is where I will be going for my build. The bike I am using is a schwinn link, not a great bike but I am not looking to do 40mph either. So this leaves me with 2 options either a friction drive or a rear mounted chain drive.

Now the friction drive I kind of like, but I am very worried about tire wear. I have read that with a friction drive you have to change out your tire a lot more often, not a fan of the idea. I realize in any of these builds maintenance is needed.

This leaves me with a rear chain drive setup. I have not seen many of these type, and the only place I have seen from my searches is through dax. When I go to the site I see the one for the friction drive setup, but not for the chain version. This concerns me that either they are no longer in stock or no longer made.

Mostly I am doing this as I like to ride my bike, but sadly age has done a number to my knees and long enjoyable rides are hard on me now. I want it just to cruise and enjoy the ride as my need to go fast days are well behind me (near 200 mph in a drag car that threw a drive shaft scared me enough lol). Any all help would be great because at this point I am lost.

Oh one more small question on either friction or rear chain can you mount a gas tank on the bike rather than the stock plastic thing they come with?

I think this is long enough for one night, be well be safe, but most importantly have fun!cvlt1

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
From what I understand and my short experience with a friction drive if you have the roller securely mounted on the tire it doesn't wear the tire very much. I do know for sure a friction drive is a lot easier to install with a lot less to go wrong with it. I used the kevlar lined tires. Welcome to the MB world have fun!

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Welcome to the forum! Many people seem to be happy with friction drives, just use a smooth tire so it gets good contact with the roller and there will be no slipping or excessive tire wear. They are very reliable, unlike the Chinese in frame kits.

Somegasnut

Apr 16, 2012
Michigan
I will grab some pictures tomorrow of the bike as it sits now. I know the tires have some tread but not as much as on a mountain bike tire, not sure if this would be expectable or not for friction drive. I know the motor I want to use is the XC50s, the 48.8cc 4stroker, should be more than enough to haul me around the bike trails and side roads here. Once it is up and running I will get some vids up of where I can ride as I live in the middle of no where!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
II keep running into the problem of what one to put on my bike.

...given my limited space on the bike frame will not be going this route. I believe the 4 stroke engine is where I will be going for my build.

Mostly I am doing this as I like to ride my bike, but sadly age has done a number to my knees and long enjoyable rides are hard on me now. I want it just to cruise and enjoy the ride as my need to go fast days are well behind me (near 200 mph in a drag car that threw a drive shaft scared me enough lol). for one night, be well be safe, but most importantly have fun!cvlt1
Drag racing is a dangerous sport, bummer you got hurt but I can relate, I haven't treated my body to well these last 43 years on Monday so I find simple and easy the best.

Look into electrics.
A flick of the switch and it goes with no pedaling and you can tuck the whole thing in even in the smallest cavity with a little effort but some planing.

They are expensive but like you I can't go pedal myself around especially in 115F Phoenix heat when the wife has the car.

Last edited:

Somegasnut

Apr 16, 2012
Michigan
Drag racing is a dangerous sport, bummer you got hurt but I can relate, I haven't treated my body to well these last 43 years on Monday so I find simple and easy the best.

Look into electrics.
A flick of the switch and it goes with no pedaling and you can tuck the whole thing in even in the smallest cavity with a little effort but some planing.

They are expensive but like you I can't go pedal myself around especially in 115F Phoenix heat when the wife has the car.
I was looking at doing an E-machine, but sadly the battery pack would be more then I could afford right now. It wasn't the drag car that hurt me oddly enough it was me trying to be a skater back in the early 90's, wood and knee caps are a bad thing I have learned lol. I think I will be doing a friction bike for now as I have seen how to adjust them a bit more and, when the budget lets me, I can convert that into an E-friction bike.

And George that is the same one minus that awful tan seat, I "borrowed" one that was black from a neighboring bike before I left the store. Those quick releases sure make it easier to get the right seat I tell ya.

The one thing with a friction drive I do not fully understand is the size of the roller, does the size actually matter as much or is it all relative? I know that in chain drive that drive sprocket is normally a smaller tooth count then the wheel for speed and climbing power, but the roller size eludes me as to its effectiveness. On ward to google for me!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
smaller roller = more torq larger roller = more speed on a friction drive

really depends on your weight, size of hills and the ammount of peddlin you want to do.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
An easy way to look at it is look at the end of the roller and side of the wheel as two circles just like 2 gears in contact.
The fatter your roller is, the less gear reduction you get and thus higher top speed.
A smaller real wheel will do the same thing.

Last edited: