Gas tank options

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well thanks for the endorsement Dan, I have received an order for an in frame tank today and although I haven't been able to post pictures yet like I have wanted to, this will be started tomorrow, I have already worked out the paper work and will be posting some pictures in a couple of days. I finally found a decent source for the bung and cap, so now I can go forward with some work!
(^)
Fundreamer, I'd been meaning to pay closer attention to your work. I have to ask: do you you make your custom tanks out of fiberglass, or metal? If metal, what guage? steel? copper?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
sorry no site yet dan im thinkin about doin that on facebook for now, but i do have pics up on another post. so what do you think? do you think its possible? i know i can build what i have in front of me but i wonder if its possible for others to make me a model. is there any threads that explain how to mock up a tank or do you think i should start my own.
Really dunno Rat Bike. I would avoid relying on a facebook or any social network sort of thing where a potential end consumer has to sign in or worse, sign up. Is enough of a task to get foot traffic. Add a speed bump and your almost driving folks away. Is just my thought on it but if ya look up how long folks spend on a site, ya want to grab their attention and interest them as quickly as possible. Even an extra click or 2 much less any typing will send them off down the interweb road looking for easier pray. Just my thinking so take it with a grain of salt.

Folks looking for tanks comes up a lot! With so much talent here, you guys might want to consider working together in some fashion. Would be great for the community and is a much sought after product. Just a thought.

I know personally, I enjoy supporting "our" folks and suppliers.

rat bike

Dec 2, 2010
california
Really dunno Rat Bike. I would avoid relying on a facebook or any social network sort of thing where a potential end consumer has to sign in or worse, sign up. Is enough of a task to get foot traffic. Add a speed bump and your almost driving folks away. Is just my thought on it but if ya look up how long folks spend on a site, ya want to grab their attention and interest them as quickly as possible. Even an extra click or 2 much less any typing will send them off down the interweb road looking for easier pray. Just my thinking so take it with a grain of salt.

Folks looking for tanks comes up a lot! With so much talent here, you guys might want to consider working together in some fashion. Would be great for the community and is a much sought after product. Just a thought.

I know personally, I enjoy supporting "our" folks and suppliers.
yhea your probably right on that one thanks for the heads up bro

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Poeple have been having trouble with fiberglass tanks used with ethenol gas.
The ethenol dissolves the resin, releasing fiberglass strands enough to clog fuel filters. The ultralight and boating communities have mostly stopped using them. Some have had satisfactory results using a good tank sealer.
Now they're talking about bumping up ethenol in gas to 15%. Tank sealer might not work well with that mix.
if you use the right sealer fiberglass is the perfect materiel for a custom tank, easy to form into any shape you can dream up without the need for expensive equipment, or metal forming skills.
i offer a how to step by step DVD on making fiberglass tanks.
some bikes i made fiberglass tanks for.

Last edited:

CoctailCruiser

Jan 12, 2011
Erie Co.
Those are really nice fiberglass tanks. I am in the midst of my rebuild right now and am just about ready to start building my custom tank. My frame is a 3G cantilever style frame but is streched a bit so a standard in frame tank is not an option. Instead of going that route I am going to frame the tank off the bent down tubes and top tube to fill in the area between the two, when done it will be an actual welded in part of the frame, should be nice. I will post some pics soon.

ReiMon

May 12, 2010
New Hampshire
if you use the right sealer fiberglass is the perfect materiel for a custom tank, easy to form into any shape you can dream up without the need for expensive equipment, or metal forming skills.
i offer a how to step by step DVD on making fiberglass tanks.
some bikes i made fiberglass tanks for.

OK.... So fiberglass is bad, but now fiberglass is good. So, what is the right sealer? Kreem?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Why not put a fiberglass facade over a some pipe or a an ugly metal tank to get around the ethanol problem. I built a tank out of 3 inch PVC, works great, held gas all winter with no problems, I am thinking about making a styling fiber class facade over it so it doesn't look spray painted pvc.

mrfritz

Jan 5, 2012
Seattle, WA
After searching in vain for a general gas tank I did manage to find a moped and small motorcycle tank I think will work after doing some serious cutting grinding and a little body work. My thought that I make turn the one I like best into a plug for a mold but that's getting ahead of myself.

This is the ride the tank is going on.

The picture is getting a little dated, I still have a laid back seat post, pair of moustash bars and big apple tires to put on.

Since this gas tank thread is still going I'll throw in my question. I am looking for someone who will modify a Felt cruiser with the top tube gas tank or a vender who sells a Felt cruiser frame (Felt Cavnas) with the modification completed.
I don't have the skills or the inclination to do the fabrication myself and am willing to pay someone for their expertise.
Thanks for any leads,
Roadapple

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Does anyone know where these tanks are sold?

I like that it is out of the way on mountain bikes. For cruisers or others it probably wouldn't be to good. I get the feeling that you have to make your own drilling for a petcock valve though.