The Dremel dilemma

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
No matter what brand of high speed machine you buy always be sure to cut straight. If you twist the cut off wheel just a little it will break. Now something coming off at that high of a speed is not good! Safety glasses are a must.

Terry

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Here is my cheapo dremel kit,$25 bucks. The green and orange are grinding stones for metals and plastics. The brown have more sand grit to them and they will grind metal and wood. Plastics you should cut at lower rpm cause you can melt the plastic ruining the bit. It so has stuff to polish bit I do not know lot about that.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
1/4 in die grinder cheap from 1992 and a cheap compressor will be your tools to do more than a dremel. They have served me well..........choose wisely grasshopper.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i love the way those cut-off wheels like to shoot out like tiny ninja stars when they break.

i pulled one out of my neck when it exploded while cutting a bolt. seriously. about a third of the wheel hit me in the neck and stuck. it didn't do any more damage than cutting myself shaving, but if it woulda been my eye...

i'd recommend a full-face shield. not that i use one, though. i like living dangerously...

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
crap! i never even thought about those emery disks. those things are way too brittle.
i have never had a reinforced one shatter.
i couldn't even think about trying to put a motorized bike together w/o a dremel, reinforced cut off wheels, or burrs.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
1/4 in die grinder cheap from 1992 and a cheap compressor will be your tools to do more than a dremel. They have served me well..........choose wisely grasshopper.
I am with you but also have a Dremel for the realy small delicate work,and carving. I have burned one out and now have a variable speed Love IT.......Curt