Idler Wheel - Chinese make crappy bolts

GoldenMotor.com

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
Kicked a chain three times today. First on trying to start bike. Rolled it back to the shop and realigned the idler wheel. Kicked the chain three more times. Here the top clamping bolt was stripped. It looked tight as it was clamped all the way down, but wasn't. Pulled the bolt and put a good old American bolt in it and now everything is fine. The chinese make nice motors but crappy nuts and bolts.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
On your idler, one its in alignment, you should drill through the bracket into the frame, and put a locking screw into it. That'll keep it from moving and eventually going into your spokes and locking up your wheel when you're doing 25Mph.

www.cowboy

Jun 1, 2011
Columbia Falls, Montana
What size chain are you using? Some of the kits come with the 410 bicycle chain. That chain can't handle the power from the engine. You may need to upgrade to a 415 chain or a z510 bmx chain. I put the z510 chain on mine and it ended my chain troubles.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Almost without exception the tensioner (idler) bracket must be twisted to get proper chain alignment. View from the rear of the bike looking forward and it's easy to see that your tensioner wheel needs to be twisted a little to make it ride true with the chain path.
Good Lord...how many times have I typed that?
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol Tom, yea first thing a new viewer should see is the "Search" and nothing else... "What are you looking for?...[enter-search]"

I forgot about the twist, I'll try to mention that from now on. Thanks!

Cheers!

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
A friend of mine is a buyer for an American retailer that shall remain nameless. His job is to go to China and scout products/ broker wholesale deals to supply his company with Chinese made wares to be sold here. He is constantly back and forth and spends probably half the year in China.
According to him much of what is imported from China to the U.S. is second rate junk. This is deliberate and they actually have laws over there forbidding the sale of this garbage in China. This stuff is strictly for export to the U.S., what they view as a convenient dumping ground for cut rate materials. Products produced in China for sale in China are held to high quality standards. OP mentioned bolts. My friend tells me that metal is always particularly suspect. Machining is expensive and products containing metal parts we receive here get the bare minimum of attention. Heat treatment basically does not exist. It too is expensive and time consuming. A bolt made correctly to the standards of the S.A.E. from the proper materials and heat treated properly will not fail like that under normal conditions.