PVC gas tank question. Please help

GoldenMotor.com

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Just For Info, The Grey Pipe Is Cpvc. It Is Chemical And Heat Resistant.
It Is Used In Many Industries Just Because Of Those Properties.
In My Business (swimming Pools) It Is Used To Connect Directly To Pool
Heaters Without The Use Of Heat Sinks.
Will Be Good For Gasoline, Albeit A Heavy Tank.
Make Sure You Use Cpvc Cement To Maintain The Chemical Resistance And
Proper Bond.
And That's All I've Got To Say About That.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Good call on the proper adhesive, I had forgotten there are a couple types, the cans look almost identical and are often stocked side by side. Check that label.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
There is a type that is good for pvc and cpvc. regular grey conduit is pvc. I have ran several thousand feet of this stuff and used pvc glue with no failures.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Some Pvc glue is not gas resistent,and regular white PVC will degrade with prolonged UV exposure, nothing critical but it will become more brittle, so i believe the grey conduit might make a better long term tank. That being said I will probably make a regular white pvc tank this week end because that is what i have lying around.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I have abandoned the PVC tank. I made one and had gas in it for several months and everything seemed ok but I decided not to keep it just in case it wouldn't hold up over time. I built a apple juice tank instead and it came out really good and now I have peace of mind.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Some Pvc glue is not gas resistent,and regular white PVC will degrade with prolonged UV exposure, nothing critical but it will become more brittle, so i believe the grey conduit might make a better long term tank. That being said I will probably make a regular white pvc tank this week end because that is what i have lying around.
In the case of the sun degradeing the pipe I would think that most would paint the tank and this would cure the sun exposure issue, as for the glue to use I think I would use Seal-All contact Cement, I have used it on gas tanks and to seal threads on carb. fittings, even fixed a brass carb float that had a hole in it with the stuff, Gas and oil will not bother it at all.

I had thought about the PVC tank myself but was unsure about if it could take the gas, now I'm for sure gona build me one for one of my bikes.

pics are of the Seal-All I mentioned earlier, Home Depot has it in there area where they stock all the super glue and Epoxy glues over by where they mix and sell their house paints and supplies

Attachments

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Almost have my tank done, when I can escape the wife and kids for about a couple hours I will finish it and hopefully post a how to, so far I am in to it about 12 bucks at Lowes. Have it all mocked up just need to glue it together, install it, and test it. My only concern is my DIY vented gas cap, looks good in theory but I have to see how it tests, all in all it is shaping up to be a sweet under bar tank. Now I just have to find a banana seat and ape hangers to have my dream machine complete.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Here is a pic of my tank, still needs to be cleaned and glued, but you get the idea. I'll post a tutorial it was super easy.

Attachments

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
coming along nicely, Make sure you use a cap that allow the gas to vent or you could be dealing with pressure issues blowing off your fuel lines or flooding the carb.

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
On my goped I made a tank out of a large plastic soda pop bottle. I had the extra long type drink bottle holder on it. You have to make a new gasket from cork for the cap because of the type of plastic in the cap is not the right type. I used expoxy and put the plastic fuel line nipples through the plastic. Both supply and venting. It worked great. That plastic does hold up long term.

On my 2-stroke dirt bike I take a 2 liter jug of gas in my back pack. Just be sure to make the cork gasket in the cap. And I have pressured these jugs up to 50 psi also when making home made pop.

You may be already done there, but this is just a suggestion to think about. I've talked to others who have done the same as I.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
coming along nicely, Make sure you use a cap that allow the gas to vent or you could be dealing with pressure issues blowing off your fuel lines or flooding the carb.
It has a vented cap. That in theory should work fine, but I need to put some miles on it before I swear by it.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm building up a PVC tank as well. Mine has several parts so we will see how it works. So far i've got it built up and sealed on the inside. Now the JB weld on the outside is drying. The filler has been sealed with JB weld and is holding great. The vent will be 3/8 tubing. Once the top is one and sealed i'll sand and prime it with some plastic paint and then the color of my bike (red) then lastly a clear coat. It's a lot of work but should be worth it in the end. I do need to know what size the fitting for the gas out should be? I believe a 1/4 NPT Female should work, but someone correct me if i'm wrong.