Rear mounted Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

userajv

Nov 15, 2009
Orlando, Fl
1st time user. Glad to see such a movement happening. I recently purchased a rear mounted friction drive engine. The engine has a centrifigal clutch which is supposed to spin fast enough to expand and grab the housing of the friction drive wheel. The engine powers on but no movement from the wheel. There is no special switch or cable to expand the clutch so I am assuming that I am doing something wrong. I switched out the kit for another one but the issue is the same. I have had it accelerated for high RPMS for about a minute but still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I have 20 front mounted engines that came from China. No installation instructions. Any suggestions on that too. Thank you..

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
After a few posts, you will be able to post pictures, which can help.

What kind of engine kit do you have (the rear mounts)?

What about the front mount kits? More info please! :)

userajv

Nov 15, 2009
Orlando, Fl
I got 20 of those and 40 of the rear mounted ones. Yeah, I'd like to sell them and just keep one or two. I'll take $189. for the front and $179 for the rear kits. The fronts are a 1 package deal with gas tank already attached. I finally figured out the rear engine problems. They need to be run for a few seconds with the friction wheel off in order to let the centrifigal clutch pop out. I let it run that way and accelerated a few times and saw the clutch expand. I put it back together (only 4 screws) and found that it gets stuck if the housing is forced. The housing needs to be placed so that the friction wheel ALWAYS moves freely. I found that forcing the kit can pin the friction wheel so its important that the wheel always moves freely. If not, you have to loosen some of the bolts that hold the kit to the bike. I did that and have been having lots of fun. I also have about 50-60 of the 48cc mid mounted engines to sell. I am in Orlando, Fl in case anyone wants to come out to see them.

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
sweet man i live in orlando i would love to come look at the frount ones and i have built about 20 mid mounted motors and got four of my own id love to install some motors for u man i can do the mid mounts in an hour and half depending on bike lets get together soon

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
sweet man i live in orlando i would love to come look at the frount ones and i have built about 20 mid mounted motors and got four of my own id love to install some motors for u man i can do the mid mounts in an hour and half depending on bike lets get together soon
i also live in Orlando we should all get together and criuse around one day.

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
I just found this post. Wow I absolutely want to get a gas tank like the one in the photo; http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...rear-mounted-friction-drive-fdrsub3316-1-.jpg

I see the front mount with one eye bolt. Is there a rear mounted eye bolt too?

Right now I use one tank of fuel per day to go to work. Each morning I must refuel. About once a week I take a 1.5 gallon tank to the gas station and fill it with my two-stroke motor oil inside.

My current Tanaka tank has a tiny crack that leaked. I used JB Weld epoxy to fix one leak and now I see another spot that is cracking. It doesn't leak yet so I'll be able to put some sealant on it before the problem starts. Originally I used those two color putty adhesives but they didn't work. The epoxy was more fluid and gripped better.

Smallwheels

Last edited: