Platform for the Apocalypse

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I doubt that the bike was made for ATC. Someone probably just put a decal on it. Air Training Command is the arm of the Air Force responsible for training recruits, cadets, pilots, etc. To my knowledge they didn't use bikes on any base I was ever stationed at.
As for the platform, it looks like a solid frame with ample room for a 2 or 4 stroke engine.
I would suggest you keep a close eye on the fender mounts. Much has been written here about the hazards of poorly mounted fenders, especially the front one. Good luck, keep us posted on your build.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Looks like a good bike to motorize, whether the Air Force actually used it or not.
Use the biggest tire possible on those rims to protect you from the bumpy roads and construction zones.
The front drum brake wheel on my bike reputedly came from a trike used by helicopter mechanics at NAS Miramar, according to the previous owner. It makes a good story, anyway.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
2Door,

After further inspection, I agree somebody just stuck the badge on the bike. I am ditching the wheels & going with Worksman wheels, front drum brake and shimano 110 hub for the rear (to accommodate Jim's Sprocket/Adpater).

The bike has a brand new tire on the rear and the front looks pretty worn out. I am a firm believer in reinforcing fenders prior to attaching any kind of motor.

Basically I paid $35.00 for a frame; it's perfect for the "distressing" look I going for.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Wheelbender6,

Good suggestion about the tires (originally was going to keep rear tire); I thinking a good choice might be the Felt Thick Brick or Fat Frank tires. Looking at putting a Monark Fork too.

I figure my $35 bike could end up costing me a small fortune, but don't they all in the end.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
WHOA! Now thats some SERIOUS work on the fender mount. I doubt you're going to have trouble with that one.

Those seat spring bolt nuts look a little uncomfortable...

What are the studs that go through the frame tubes for?

Last edited:

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
The seat is not finished; will be covered in foam & leather w/studs along the back of the saddle. The studs are for added as a design element.

The whole idea is a theme similar to a Mad Max design.