12v baby.

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I don't like the look of bicycle light on my ride. So I decided to run a 12v system. I am using a spare pair of fog lights, a trailer light on a homemade verticle liscense plate and a pair of 6v lantern batteries. I'm filming a youtube vid of it now and will post pics of it here when I'm done. Word. BTW, someone called my bike looked intimidating the other day. I don't think it is, but I thought it was a cool compliment none the less.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
that is really cool. I'm very interested to see what you came up with (any chance on a +weight guesstimate?) - a 12v system will allow for some REALLY awesome lighting options.

/subscribed dance1

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
that is really cool. I'm very interested to see what you came up with (any chance on a +weight guesstimate?) - a 12v system will allow for some REALLY awesome lighting options.

/subscribed dance1
I got everything hooked up and they work okay, but the lights are rather dim. I figure that this is because the wattage is to low for the lights to be bright enough. I got three options.

1) Get another pair of batteries, hook those together, then run them parallel to my first two. This will keep my system a 12v and it would boost the amps, and the watts.

2) Get a different battery altogether.

3) Just use some bicycle lights.

I'm going to go with option 1.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Fog lights are often 50 watt each. (let's say 48 to make math easier).

50W/12V=4 amps, each... 8A for the pair of fog lights themselves. I daresay that exceeds the output capacity of the small batteries.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Fog lights are often 50 watt each. (let's say 48 to make math easier).

50W/12V=4 amps, each... 8A for the pair of fog lights themselves. I daresay that exceeds the output capacity of the small batteries.

I concur. I've been stewing over this issue for a few days now and that's what kept me from posting the vid on youtube. I might go with a deer feeder battery, as it will have more amps. I was thinking of going with another pair of lantern batteries, hook them up in series and then run them parallel, but that seems to add to much bulk to the bike. I like to keep it clean. With that being said, I just might go on and get a pair of bicycle headlights.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I've decided to scrap this project. I have another plan that involves turning a rear bicycle light into a brake light. I think I'll post the vids on my youtube page anyway. Maybe it'll be a good start point for anyone wanting to goof with this type of set up. YouTube - 5cud6uddy's Channel I'll try to get the video up tonight.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Don't give up just yet. Pay a visit to you're local Tractor Supply store and look at their sealed beam tractor lights. You can get them in 6 or 12 volts. I've measured the current draw on these lights at 2.6 amps for the 12 volt version. I'm working on a lighting system using one of the 12V tractor lights for a headlight and a trailer light for the tail light. I'm using a 5Ah sealed lead acid battery from batteries.com- Notebook Batteries | Laptop Batteries | Camcorder Batteries | Digital Camera Batteries. So far it looks good, but I haven't done any night time riding lately so I can't speak to endurance.

Last edited:

Hardly Davidson

Oct 28, 2009
ontario canada
i use the old batteries from the electric bike bike i bought, and they are 12 amp hours and last a week in EST using them now for about 1 hr per day. i use a 55 watt automotive fog light and a 8 watt tail light out of a chevy astro van brake light ................light it up like yhe space shuttle and protect yourself

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
i use the old batteries from the electric bike bike i bought, and they are 12 amp hours and last a week in EST using them now for about 1 hr per day. i use a 55 watt automotive fog light and a 8 watt tail light out of a chevy astro van brake light ................light it up like yhe space shuttle and protect yourself
I initially abandoned this project, and went with the bicycle lights. The problem is that they just don't project far enough. Even if I added a 2nd light to the front, the beam would just get wider. I will probably redesign my original system, using clamps to mt the headlight and go with only one light up front, keep the trailer light in the back and use a better battery with more amp hours. I still have the wiring harness at my casa.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
go to ebay and do a search for "beach cruiser rack mount tail light" and you'll see a roller bearing circuit tail light that uses the inertia of the bike to roll the bearing and complete the circuit for a functional brake light..