Zone 8 Cycling BUYER BEWARE !!!!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Zone 8 Cycling has been banned from the "other" forum.
Why they are allowed to advertise here besieges me.....

This is my experience with a Zone 8 Motor:

I now have Absolutely No Faith in Zone 8.

Buyer Beware!!!

I received a kit from them which looked pretty good.
This was not the case whatsoever.

After about 40 miles the motor completely seized up. Jim at Creative Engineering and I opened the case for inspection. We discovered one of the crank bearing seals was installed backward. I mean it was installed on the inside of the case, thus sealing the bearing from all lubrication. The bearing seized, the crank was warped, and the magneto was fused to the shaft. The motor was shot. This is clearly a defect from a stupid mistake made in assembly.
I sent Zone8 FOUR EMAILS AND TWO PHONE MESSAGES, because they do not answer their phone.
(now I know why)

I gave them a month to respond. NOTHING.
Completely buried their heads in the sand.
I'm out $150.00

My Advice:

BOYCOTT ZONE 8 CYCLING !!!
Don't buy anything from them ever!

Flat out..........THEY SUCK !!!!

By the way, We put on a That's Dax Motor and it is Awesome !!!

'BrettMavriK

Jun 25, 2008
Zone 8 Cycling has been banned from the "other" forum.
Why they are allowed to advertise here besieges me.....

This is my experience with a Zone 8 Motor:

I now have Absolutely No Faith in Zone 8.

Buyer Beware!!!

I received a kit from them which looked pretty good.
This was not the case whatsoever.

After about 40 miles the motor completely seized up. Jim at Creative Engineering and I opened the case for inspection. We discovered one of the crank bearing seals was installed backward. I mean it was installed on the inside of the case, thus sealing the bearing from all lubrication. The bearing seized, the crank was warped, and the magneto was fused to the shaft. The motor was shot. This is clearly a defect from a stupid mistake made in assembly.
I sent Zone8 FOUR EMAILS AND TWO PHONE MESSAGES, because they do not answer their phone.
(now I know why)

I gave them a month to respond. NOTHING.
Completely buried their heads in the sand.
I'm out $150.00

My Advice:

BOYCOTT ZONE 8 CYCLING !!!
Don't buy anything from them ever!

Flat out..........THEY SUCK !!!!

By the way, We put on a That's Dax Motor and it is Awesome !!!

'BrettMavriK
no 6 month warranty?

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
NOW He finally responds:

This is the email he sent me directly and my response.

I didn't expect your help.
After I sent FOUR EMAILS, and left TWO PHONE MESSAGES with no response from you for ONE MONTH THAT I WAITED TO HEAR FROM YOU, you finally speak up when I go public and you may have something to lose other than just keeping my money and blowing me off completely otherwise? I figured I wasn't going to get any help from you after ONE MONTH that I waited, so I spoke up.

How many more people have you done this to???

This is how you do business???

I really don't care what you do as far as I am concerned.
What I really care more about is warning other would-be engine kit buyers about your practices.

I don't want another one of your motors. I don't trust their reliability as far as I can bowl them !

Keep my money. It seems you need it more than I do.

Best of Luck and Kharma.

'Brett

To: "BrettMavriK @ Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:36:46 PM
Subject: Re: HELLO

thanks alot don't expect us to help you anymore. good bye

Thank you

Zone8cycling
Zone8Trading
Phone: 1-626-242-0979
Fax: 1-626-454-3856
E-Mail: [email protected]

--- On Sun, 3/15/09, BrettMavriK @ Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum <[email protected]> wrote:

From: BrettMavriK @ Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum <[email protected]>
Subject: HELLO
To: [email protected]
Date: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 9:39 AM

This is a message from BrettMavriK at Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum ( Bicycle Motor Forum - Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits, Manuals, And Help ). The Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email BrettMavriK, you can use this online form:
http://motorbicycling.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=2245

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

You may want to read my post about You and Your Company on this forum.
It's under "General Discussion"

I have sent you four emails and left 2 message on the phone you never answer.

'BrettMavriK

P.S.- I also left a Vendor Poll Review on the other forum for you.

Thanks for taking my money and not being a man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
WOW!!!!
That's it?
"thanks alot don't expect us to help you anymore. good bye"

Seems to be real good business going on there.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
It took alot for me to speak up , Joe.
I don't want to cause upheavel to this delicate forum.
I do not want other people to experience what I did with this guy.

I gave him a month to respond, and that was more than fair.
Only until I went public does he respond to me. That tells me he
does this ALL the time. When he may have something to lose,
(i.e.- the money he spent to be a sponsor on this forum and then someone exposes his ethic)
Only Then Did It Hit Home.

True Colors

'BrettMavriK

WOW!!!!
That's it?
"thanks alot don't expect us to help you anymore. good bye"

Seems to be real good business going on there.

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
It took alot for me to speak up , Joe.
I don't want to cause upheavel to this delicate forum.
I do not want other people to experience what I did with this guy.

I gave him a month to respond, and that was more than fair.
K
imho, you absolutely did the right thing, you know? whats fair is fair. if they'd handled the situation as they should have, im sure your vendor review would have reflected on them positively.
you have more patience than i....i wouldve given them a week and a half. tops. theres no excuse for that.
ZONE 8: your ad says "6month warranty". if you cant back it up, dont post it.

Jun 25, 2008
we all know the real truth here though, Zone 8 has bought cheap crappy engines and its come back to bite them, the reason they didn't answer before is they've had all too many engines bounce back to them. It's probably gotten to the point whereby they hope by keeping their head down, the customer bins and forgets so they don't have to fork out more cash. Thats the trouble with retail, the buck stops with you NOT the manufacturer. It is the sellers responsibility to replace/repair/refund.

I would welcome an explaination from Zone8 though....just to make things fair (and juicy!)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In the case of this forum it isn't about revenge or getting even, it's about saving someone else from the headache and loss of money with a dealer.

I hate that any dealer treats anyone like that. Yes you have a perfect right to be angry and I would be too. You have a responsibility to give honest advice to other members here and it seems to me that you have done that. thanks....

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
Thanks for the info I was just about to order a motor today and saw your post.
All the motors I have purchased have been through Zone 8..... NOT ANY MORE......
I buy 1 or 2 motors a month and don't have time to play games with them zone 8.
My dad told me once...... word of mouth is the best business, so thats what I go by.
zone 8 needs to come clean with you, thats only right. Maybe if zone 8 sees that they are loosing business they will do the right thing. Whats up with that reply they sent you
thanks alot don't expect us to help you anymore. good bye. Thats what did it for me all my business is going to thatsdax. Thank You for your time guys.

zone8cycling.com

Jul 31, 2008
To all

we have tons of satisfied customers. read our reviews on our products. i'm sorry i can't help every single one of you. you didn't even contact us anyways. i asked you for the order number and you can't even give me that or your name so i can look up your order. you are here just to bash on us.
And to others you are all together just to make your company better. this is not good business. i'm pretty sure THEDAX and others have customers complaints also. you claim your engines to be made in the USA but we all know only china makes 2 stroke engines. And we all know we all get our engines from china. STOP FAKING and CLAIMING.

Quit bashing on others and worry about yourself. All people talk smack to others just to make themselves feel better. we have never bash on any other companys. please stop and grow up. we all here to support bicycle engine kits not to bash.

zone8cycling.com

Jul 31, 2008
to philymitch

you claim to bought 2 motors from us and now you read this and you goign to stop??? why ???
but the other 2 you bought had no problems with us before. i think all of you got together and bash other companys except your own. GROW UP this is not how you do business.

zone8cycling.com

Jul 31, 2008
TO tigertooth.com

you never even bought from us before. you just here to BASH and make yourself look better. this is not how you going to get customer to buy from you. .duh.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
I never contacted you??????????
----- Forwarded Message ----

Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:07:02 PM
Subject: Hey Guys...

How are You,
This is BrettMavriK from motoredbikes.com and motorbicycling.com.

I writing to tell you of my experience I have had with the motor I had purchased from you back in December for My Orange Coast Chopper Build, which I finished and kicked to life last month. (Late January)

Everything went fine and the Zone 8 80cc (69cc) motor fired right up on the first
try.
I ran Pennzoil High Performance Air Cooled 2-Cycle Premix at a 16:1 ratio for all of the
40 miles I put on the motor. I then started noticing a gradual loss of power that got to the point
of the engine surging. After playing with the fuel mixture etc., Jim from Creative Engineering
(who makes the Clutch Actuator Upgrade Kits) and I decided to remove the
jug and take a look at the cylinder wall and piston. Everything looked fine with no scoring and
normal detonation on the piston. What we did notice was the crank was almost impossible to turn by hand with the piston arm, and was especially bad at a certain rotation of the crank. We then opened the crank case to find the culprit. And couldn't believe what we had found.
The assembler of this motor had put one of the crank bearing seals on the inside of the crank;
thus, sealing it of from any lubrication. The bearing was discolored from heat and had a terrible
resistance to its' designed motion. The mis-mounted rubber bearing seal was nothing more than
globs of burnt rubber around the bearing on the inside of the case. We have replacement Miller
bearings for this engine and decided to change it out. The Problem therein was the high heat from
the friction of the bearing had fused everything to the shaft and absolutely wouldn't release without
damaging it further. The motor was shot.
Now, I know you cannot control what goes on in China, but I am writing to notify you of this
experience with a motor I had
purchased from your company. I am interested to know if you will
stand behind your products in the name of customer service and satisfaction. It's an unfortunate
occurrence, and I know you never intended to sell wrongfully assembled engines.
I am just wondering if there is something you can do.
Thanks in advance,

'Brett

Better Get your Story Straight and Tell No Lies If You Want To Save Face, My Man....

'BrettMavriK

To all

we have tons of satisfied customers. read our reviews on our products. i'm sorry i can't help every single one of you. you didn't even contact us anyways. i asked you for the order number and you can't even give me that or your name so i can look up your order. you are here just to bash on us.
And to others you are all together just to make your company better. this is not good business. i'm pretty sure THEDAX and others have customers complaints also. you claim your engines to be made in the USA but we all know only china makes 2 stroke engines. And we all know we all get our engines from china. STOP FAKING and CLAIMING.

Quit bashing on others and worry about yourself. All people talk smack to others just to make themselves feel better. we have never bash on any other companys. please stop and grow up. we all here to support bicycle engine kits not to bash.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
TO tigertooth.com

you never even bought from us before. you just here to BASH and make yourself look better. this is not how you going to get customer to buy from you. .duh.
He in lies the problem. Zone 8 instead of recontacting BretMAvrickto amke things right you decide to go on the defensive. that does not make any seance. We here at this forum do not bash anyone as a group action and actually you have insulted 4 different bike builders in 3 states and 2 countries.

We really do not promote any specific kit from any seller. We share good and bad dealings with motor and part vendors so it may be time for you to take care of the right business and possibly do better business in the future. I know for a fact this has been going on for a month as i have personally spoken with bret on several occasions and he would NOT tell me what vendor he bought the kit from! This post is actually the first time he has mentioned the seller in any capacity.

The truth is they are all sub standard kits until those of us with building exp get hold of them and improve upon the kits. But the support of the vendor is all we can count on for the cor emotors. Without that repeat business is going to be tough.

Currently i am in the market for motors as i have bikes to build. Its not so much that i may NEver buy from you but for now i will just choose another vedor due to the actions and responses zone 8 has posted.

Monkey MotorBikes Las Vegas, NV

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just so you all know, I am not a dealer. I do not believe in conspiracy theories. I am more than a little surprised that you can't just state the facts without going off into a conspiracy fantasy.....

It makes it sound as if the facts are against you. When you can't beat them with facts try to confuse them with b.s.

You are not helping your case.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
And here is the duplicate sent to your other department two days later:

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:47:19 AM
Subject: Hey There, Guys....

(Same message as above post)

I can forward them if you like for better proof if it suits you.
Now, the Phone messages I had left on your voicemail a week earlier I cannot prove.
(But I know you got them)
C'mon Dude!! OWN UP and MAN UP !

Like I said, this isn't about me anymore. It's about some other poor guy who saves his money up to get a kit from you and gets the same treatment.

Notice how all of the sudden you are present an accounted for now that you have something to lose about this after one month of trying to reach you and you ignore me, one of your customers......?

That "something to lose" is FAITH.....Faith in your company by OTHER FUTURE CUSTOMERS.
It's a rough world isn't it?
You are now coming on here to protect yourself and fight back.
In My Opinion....You're going about it all wrong, dude.
Your only making yourself look worse.

Do you think I believe you intended to sell me a bunk engine???
Of course not. But, it is how you handled it after the fact.
No Courtesy, No Reply, No NADA !!!
Basically saying " I got your money, you got your (bunk) engine....you're on your own and I could care less.

Not Good For Business, my friend.

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
to philymitch
i think all of you got together and bash other companys except your own. GROW UP this is not how you do business.

I am sorry, but "we" do not collectively own any company.
We do have a good bit of power as "united we stand".

If this kind of service were given by any other company advertising here, or not, the response would be the same.

You will notice members here "gang up" on the good vendors and give them good reviews too.

Status
Not open for further replies.