Hello Biker World

GoldenMotor.com

Richard J. Bennett

Sep 29, 2014
Texas
When it comes to motorized bicycles, I'm new & ignorant. This looks like a good place for information. Howdy from Texas!

Being new, I have a question ... considering the belt-driven motorized bikes, do any of you have any difficulty pedaling when the engine is off? (Because I'd still like to have that option)

Thanks

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, I don't have a belt drive but the drag by a chain is not bad . A lot of members use their m/b in areas that do not allow motorized vehicles by pedaling.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hello and welcome, Richard.

Another option is a friction drive. As far as kits go, a good option in that you can completely disengage the engine and have no drag.

Just a thought.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Hi welcome I am also new to this as I am an ex motorcycle rider that needs to get fit and have fun at the same time.
I have yet to determine the power plant of my choice but it seems I will likely go with
with a mid drive e bike conversion with a front drive friction Honda motor for the front wheel as a back up measure incase I have a problem with range and or a electrical failure.
I am not sold completely on going strictly a gas setup as I just don't care for the noise and vibrations that a small engine will put on my neck and back that is already causing me to seek exercise and therapy.

I just welcomed a new member so it was easier to copy and paste my last welcome
I am the same way drag from a motor or engine plain sucks if you want or need to pedal
this is why I am going with the dual power plant as I cannot physically pedal a normal bike for long so If I get too far away from the house I have to have a get me home option
I will say you have a lot of home work ahead of you if you want to comply with your local and state regulations as most of the less expensive popular power plants do not comply with EPA regulations and wont come with a warranty as most of the gas engines you will find were not intended for use on a bicycle. however with a bucket load of common sense
avoiding letting the engine run at idle or at wide open throttle long you can get pretty good use out of most any kit out there. as with anything you get what you pay for so watch out for really cheap kits while most of the parts are ok some parts like the fasteners may need to be upgraded. I see many threads where fasteners either break off or vibrate off due to the one cylinder thumper motor setup and vibration that accompanies it.so extra care and attention to detail with what parts were provided with the kit will help you have a more enjoyable experience.
Good luck with your project and yes well all love pictures.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you are going belt drive it will have to have some kind of clutch or belt tightener so eather way you will have free wheeling and only the belt to turn. There will be a little drag but not that much. When i was a kid i had a factory Monark twin motor bike and you could pedal it also. As a old fart today i think it would be nice to have a couple gears back there............Curt