New Saddle for an Old Horse

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My old Norton/Schwinn is probably my favorite bike. I've riden it for many miles but I've never been satisfied with the looks of the seat I built for it. It was very comfy but it always looked too high and too short so I thought I would build something new.

I started with a steel rack that I had that was meant for a rack mount fuel tank. I never liked the looks of that so the rack hung in my garage for years. It is made of 5/16" round stock and with a little work I adapted it to be my new seat frame.

Some of you old hot rodders will recognise the big block Chevy valve springs I used to give the seat some shock absorbing. Then I cut up some 1/4" plywood for the pan and today I cut, glued and shaped the foam and the seat/saddle is taking shape.
I'm planning on making a trip to the upholstery supply place Thursday for the vinyl I'll use for the upholstery and I'll post updates on how that goes.
When the new saddle is finished I'll post a before and after comparison.

Tom

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What did you use for the spring holders that clamp to the rods?

And what holds the top of the rods so they can slid?

Do you have the link to the Norton build,would like to read about it.
Like always your bikes are beautifull...............Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks everyone. I want to find some vinyl that will compliment the bike's paint. I have a friend who has an industrial sewing machine that I'm going to borrow and try to teach myself some fancy stitching. More as it happens.

Maniac,
yeah, those are the real deal Halibrands. They are aluminum alloy however. Real mags aren't the best choice for a street driven car. Too many drawbacks to them. The fronts are spindle mounts, no lug nuts. I heard that Halibrand went out of business. Too bad. They built nice stuff. I bought those rims, fronts and rears back in the 80s.

Curt,
The rods run up through holes in the seat pan and protrude about an inch into the foam. They will never poke up far enough to matter. Those are some pretty tough springs and there isn't a lot of compression especially with my skinny butt on them. In fact even if they did they are far enough to the rear that I won't be sitting over them anyway.
I had a set of titanium caps and keepers and used two on the bottom of the springs and 3/8" shaft collars. There are pins on top that keep the springs centered around the holes the shafts go through. Here's that old build thread> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9379
Wow, this is an old bike.

Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How's this for a match? I went to the upholstery place today and picked up this pretty brown vinyl and got lucky with an almost perfect match to the brown paint on the old Norton.

I'll start cutting and maybe stitching in the next few days. Got a yard full of leaves to rake this weekend.

Tom

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep just mulch them and they will turn into fertilizer. That is a awesome match That will be a awesome seat..........Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That was indeed a piece of luck, your new seat is going to match up perfectly.

Raking leaves? - don't bother life's too short, - the leaves will rot down eventually. :D
The problem is we have two dogs. If I didn't pick up the leaves, by the time spring comes and the leaves decompose, we'd be knee deep in dog poop. Yeah, that's fertilizer too but tracking it in the house would not be fun. :)

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No no no...to running mag halibrands on a street car.
Although, dog poop has drawbacks on the street as well.
:)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The problem is we have two dogs. If I didn't pick up the leaves, by the time spring comes and the leaves decompose, we'd be knee deep in dog poop. Yeah, that's fertilizer too but tracking it in the house would not be fun. :)

Tom
We have a couple big dogs as well (Doberman and Pit Bull mix) and big Tom Cat.

The cat goes in the yard, digs a hole, poops in it and then covers it up.
The dogs go in the yard, dig holes, then crap elsewhere leaving an empty hole and piles of crap that needs cleaned up.
These two co-habitation animal types need to get on the same page don't ya think?
The dogs dig a hole, they all go in it, and then the cat can fill it in Hehhehe ;-}

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know I've been remiss and let this thread slip a little but I've been teaching myself the intricacies of setting up a sewing machine and learning to use one. I borrowed this compact little Husqvarna machine. It is small but has a lot of power and an ultra slow speed setting to make life a little easier on me. I've been practicing and sewing scraps of vinyl and today decided to start stitching together the parts I've had cut out for a week or more.

It's going okay but I fear it won't look as good as if a pro had done it but, hey, it ain't a show bike. I just wanted something that looks good from a distance and is comfy and I can say I did it myself.

I'll post some pix of the finished product. I have been riding the bike a lot with just the foam padding and it is a comfy ride. Now if I can just get the upholstery done I'll be satisfied.

Tom

Attachments

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Tom, thanks to you and silverbear for all these great posts! I have some distressed brown leather from an old leather jacket I'm going to use for Alan old seat pan I've had laying around, pretty excited to start it up just need some personal time lol.

This project looks fantastic!

Dan.