changing the spin on a sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
new guy here
I have a 6 gear rear (from a 12spd) I want to run as my front wheel. How can I change the internals to run left instead of right so I dont have to go with a jackshaft and all. I've tried searches in here but can't find a thread about it.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I'm sorry but I'm not following what you want to do. Are you wanting to use a rear wheel on the front so you can run a motor on the front wheel?

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
oops yes
thats what im trying to do
I have a cruiser frame that I mounted a rear wheel and derailer on but my WW motor spins counterclockwise (of course) and I am of limited means here. working with junk bikes, no money, no welder

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I guess if you locked it up by jamming some bits of metal in there it would work but it would always be locked up and you would not be able to use the bike without the engine running. It would not cost you a penny though. I guess if you have a clutch on that W/W it would work out OK unless I'm missing something.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have thought about that for years. But not on a front wheel. I would highly recomend you don't do that. You stop that front wheel and you land on your head. You stop that rear wheel you slide. The bike will flip. Instant trip to the E.R., Or heaven forbid the Morgue.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
oops yes
thats what im trying to do
I have a cruiser frame that I mounted a rear wheel and derailer on but my WW motor spins counterclockwise (of course) and I am of limited means here. working with junk bikes, no money, no welder
Just get a REAR Strap on sprocket or friction drive - if you hurt yourself you will be even more broke.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I have thought about that for years. But not on a front wheel. I would highly recomend you don't do that. You stop that front wheel and you land on your head. You stop that rear wheel you slide. The bike will flip. Instant trip to the E.R., Or heaven forbid the Morgue.
Oh yeah!!! Bad Bad memories have just resurfaced. When I was 13, 1974, I got a 10 speed for Christmas...with the classic ram horn handlebars. I was peddaling along at a good clip and in a panic forgot which was the front brake and which was the rear...I just grabbed one...50/50 chance, but of course it was the front. I went face first into the pavement so fast I didn't even have time to let go of the handlebars. I went into a drug store in the plaza I was riding in, crying, with my bottom lip wrapped over and impaled by my lower teeth, bloody nose, and a nasty lump/road rash on my forehead. I will never forget how kind the people were in that store.

Jim

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
My reasons for doing it that way is so I can keep the rear area open to use for a rack or basket. I'm a large guy so I'm not gonna go flyin if something bad happens. cant put the motor inboard as its a girl frame. I understand the dangers with MBs. I have no way to get around at the moment. thank you

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
My reasons for doing it that way is so I can keep the rear area open to use for a rack or basket. I'm a large guy so I'm not gonna go flyin if something bad happens. cant put the motor inboard as its a girl frame. But if noone has real info for me then dont bother responding with horror stories, I understand the dangers with MBs. I have no way to get around at the moment, **** I dont even have tires on the rims because I cant afford em right now. thank you
If you would like to Cobble something together we can help! It won't happen tonight! You're going to have to be specific about what you're trying to do...this is the internet not the miracle-net!

Jim

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
My apologies to those of you who read my post before i had a chance to cool off and edit it. I have a girls cruiser with a 12 speeds rear wheel attached to the front, a 22?cc WW motor and a good idea of how to mount it all once I get the parts I need. What I want to know is if it is possible to switch around the bearings and gut of the 12 speed's wheel so I can mount it on the left side of the bike instead of having to build a jackshaft and all in order to run it on the right. I already know that only 4 of the gears on the wheel will be usable due to the clearance between the forks and rim. thank you for your help.

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
1. motor is only 22-25cc and I weigh 310 2. I want to be able to pedal when I feel like it
3. if I could get the motor to run in the opposite direction (as u suggest) the I wouldnt be asking how to change the sprocket around.

bumleg

Nov 8, 2008
nova scotia
1. motor is only 22-25cc and I weigh 310 2. I want to be able to pedal when I feel like it
3. if I could get the motor to run in the opposite direction (as u suggest) the I wouldnt be asking how to change the sprocket around.
310 ... maybe you should peddle lol jk:bike2:

AlphaLlama

Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, Cali
In the name of science I took apart an old schwinn ten speed sprocket.
As you can see the sprocket cluster is built around a machined hub with stepped cogs designed to go in one direction only. I travels around two
spring loaded tabs also non reversable. You woould have to machine your
own parts I am afraid. This wheel is thirty years old however, so maybe a modern wheel would be slightly different. But I think you would have similar
problems.

Attachments

cyberbulldog

Dec 7, 2008
valdosta, ga
ty Bumleg and AlphaLlama for being helpful looks like I'm gonna have to use the friction drive, however I will not be using metal roller. I am going to find some grip wheels to attach to the shaft or if not possible then some small id/large od hose with grip tape on it hehehe