How was your motorized bike taken?

• Other...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I just bought U lock today. It's a step in the right direction but after reading the 'LoJack for bicycles thread it made me wonder. So post your thoughts, please! tell me what kind of security/lack of, when, from where your bike was stolen. Anything so that I can keep my bike for as long as it's rideable.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I got an OnGuard U lock, rated to 20 tons of force and comes with a cable extension, cost me $60, has a $2500 guarantee too. the bike that did get stolen, I just used a $30 cable lock with a key (not a barrel key), simple bolt cutters meant my bike went bye bye. I dont even lock my bike up at home, I just rely on my phone's GPS, and get a few bike thieves off the streets if it does go missing.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
JohnnyR,

It's a shrowded key lock. a BlackBurn Folsom to be exact. For for $30 more I could have gotten the warrantied one but nah. If some ^$%# steals my bike, I'll look for it, but end up building again.

I just bought a bikelink card. For 5 cents an hour it stays out of the rain and out of a 'predator's' view at my community college.

Mew905,

Did you have the OnGaurd equipped when your bike was stolen?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Unless your bike is in your locked garage, never let it out of your sight for more than 2 minutes. Carry a cable lock for use during those 2 minutes. Out of sight is ok if you have an alarm, and you're not more than 25 feet from your bike. Then it can be out of your sight for 5 minutes as long as you're close enough to hear the alarm.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Unless your bike is in your locked garage, never let it out of your sight for more than 2 minutes. Carry a cable lock for use during those 2 minutes. Out of sight is ok if you have an alarm, and you're not more than 25 feet from your bike. Then it can be out of your sight for 5 minutes as long as you're close enough to hear the alarm.

A cable lock wont stop a 5 year old from stealing your bike. Maybe that's why you never let it out of your site for more than 2 minutes. Let me give you an example. My brother gave me a bike that he had left sitting in a storage unit when he moved out of state. He had left a keyed cable lock on it, and since I didnt have the key, I would have to use my own lock if I wanted to keep the bike outside. I didnt want to leave his lock on there, because I didnt want people thinking I had stolen it. I attempted to pick the lock with a metal nail file, but I was unable to pick it. So it would seem that it was a fairly decent lock, right? Wrong. I have a tool left over from fixing the brake lines on my wife's car, that is known as a tube cutter. In case anyone does not know what this tool is or does, I will explain it. It has two discs that are sharp and do the cutting, and a knob which you turn to tighten or loosen the tool. What you do is open it up wide enough to fit around the tube you want to cut, then tighten it and rotate it around the tube until it cuts through. It is not made for cutting hard steel or anything solid, only for cutting very thin tubing, such as brake lines and the like. Soft metals. Well, I used it to cut through my brother's cable lock in less than a minute. And I'm not even a thief. I know that someone who is a thief has probably already come up with the idea, because if you want to steal something, you will think of a way to do it. On my bike, I use a very heavy steel chain and a case-hardened padlock. I went to Lowe's and asked for 3 feet of the heaviest chain they had. It would take a very powerful electric tool to cut through it. And because my padlock is case-hardened, it resists cutting, which probably means it would require a power tool as well. I have lived at my current residence for almost a year, and my bike has not been stolen. I go to Walmart or any place else and chain it up outside to something secure, and leave it for as long as I need to be in the store or wherever. I think that if you cant trust it out of your sight for more than a few minutes, you're either SERIOUSLY paranoid, or you need to move. You also need something better than a cable lock.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
JohnnyR,

It's a shrowded key lock. a BlackBurn Folsom to be exact. For for $30 more I could have gotten the warrantied one but nah. If some ^$%# steals my bike, I'll look for it, but end up building again.

I just bought a bikelink card. For 5 cents an hour it stays out of the rain and out of a 'predator's' view at my community college.

Mew905,

Did you have the OnGaurd equipped when your bike was stolen?
No, I didnt. I figured a cable lock would be enough, and the fact that noone around here would really know how to ride it, I mean come on, hopping on it and trying to pedal away would be fairly difficult, I figure they came by with a truck while I was at work. Now, I use a U lock (The OnGuard), much harder to cut through, I leave my bike always in a line of sight if I cant lock it to something. You guys are right though, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it. The cell phone is an extra tool to recover it when that happens (people in the computer security field know, you cant stop a hacker, if they want in bad enough, they'll get in, so firewalls have moved from prevention to detection > reaction). However making the bike as unappealing as possible to steal (alarm, strong locks, etc.) will help a LOT (at my new job now, the bike sits in a chain link fence area with barbed wire all along the top, only way to get in or out is with a key card, and theres two cameras watching the bike/smoking area.)

EDIT: I was thinking about a design, a cable-U hybrid. I read that if you lock your back tire up to a rack you'll be fine because it makes the bike [temporarily] unridable if they go ahead and remove it (plus our bikes having two chains, it's a pain, I hate taking the back wheel off), and if they choose to try and cut it with a hack saw, the tension of the spokes will clamp the hacksaw in place, rendering it useless. my idea (maybe its been done?) uses a strong U-lock shell (for protection against bolt cutters), and inside it is a high tension cable that when they attempt to cut through it with a hacksaw or power tool, the cable will "clamp" the tool in the shell, again rendering it useless. Then of course the weak link would be the locking mechanism, but considering alot of U-locks nowadays have upwards of 25 tons of force before they break (which I assume most truck bumpers would get pulled off long before then), I dont think pulling will be an issue. then the only thing left to worry about is the actual locking mechanism itself. So what if, similar to that LoJack for bikes thing, you use a keychain to electronically unlock a set of deadbolts from the inside, no key to screw with, perhaps just a hole to insert a AA battery. The only con of this is they could get around the cable by simply grinding a larger hole (which would weaken the shell and potentially make it a weapon against the thief or bike), so making it look like a generic U-lock and not leaving a brand on it would help even more, not letting a thief know what to expect. Opinions?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The thing is, a lock isn't going to help much. Even if you've got a lock that's so strong it couldn't be cut in a 100 years, and even if it's wrapped around your frame, and attached to a 12,000 lb battleship anchor, in 3 minutes I'll just cut you frame in half and throw your bike in my van. I don't want you frame anyway, it has serial numbers on it. I want your wheels, brakes, seat, lights, motor, expensive accessorys, and whatever else you've got of value on your bike.

That's why my lock only cost $6, and my alarm $5.

That's why no matter how much money you spend on a lock, it isn't going to do you much good, unless it's on your garage door.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Grrr I know what all you are saying. I've 'stolen' my own bike when I lost the key for it in high school. Brought 2-foot bolt cutters in my jacket and did the deed in 20 seconds.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The thing is, a lock isn't going to help much. Even if you've got a lock that's so strong it couldn't be cut in a 100 years, and even if it's wrapped around your frame, and attached to a 12,000 lb battleship anchor, in 3 minutes I'll just cut you frame in half and throw your bike in my van. I don't want you frame anyway, it has serial numbers on it. I want your wheels, brakes, seat, lights, motor, expensive accessorys, and whatever else you've got of value on your bike.

That's why my lock only cost $6, and my alarm $5.

That's why no matter how much money you spend on a lock, it isn't going to do you much good, unless it's on your garage door.
Sure, someone can cut my frame. But when its sitting outside of my house, my wife or myself is going to hear it. And when I am out, I always park my bike in the most visible place possible. You would probably think this is the opposite of what should be done, but think about it. Not many thieves are going to have the cajones to cut a bicycle in half with a hundred or more witnesses. Having a cheap lock makes it easier to steal, regardless. If I were a thief, and I saw your bike with a cheap lock and a cheap alarm, I would take it. I guarantee you that. I dont even care about the alarm, because I am going to break the lock before the alarm even goes off. If I were a thief, and I saw my bike with a heavy steel chain and padlock, I would have to decide whether I wanted to do the amount of work it would take to cut the frame in half, or find something easier to steal. But a bike with a cable lock and cheap alarm (if the lock is cheap then the alarm is too, is what every thief that sees your bike is saying to himself), no problem. I would steal your bike in a heartbeat if I were a thief. Thieves dont care if you are only away from your bike for a minute or two. Thats long enough to break or cut through a cheap lock. If a tube cutter can cut through a cable lock, bolt cutters surely can. And like I said, I have lived at my current residence for almost a year, and no one has successfully messed with my bike yet. I even forgot to lock it up one night and didnt realize it till I went out to work on it again the next day. It was still sitting right there, untouched.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
My whole kit slide's right off my bike in about as matter of 20secs so I dont have the problem of thieves. People always ask me to show them how easy it is to remove my bumblebeebolton off my bike and when i show em they are amazed with the idea..its funny they say there's no way your whole kit just comes right off your bike..then i say oh ya..pull my r-pin disconnect the throttle cable from the handle and its off!

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
5 of my pedler bikes were stolen right under my nose from my bike yard at night... Thing is that I was still awake but I put headphones and started watching a movie so I didn't hear or know **** until my woke up to get some water and saw that I got cleaned out.

That next day I completed my china girl bike, I worked on it all day as to keep my mind off things.

I gotta admit I put hard work, time, and soul into most of the bikes... I felt like an empty shell that day

Luckily I was able to recover three of my best bike and the rims of the another bike, that group of punks were the ones who took em.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My whole kit slide's right off my bike in about as matter of 20secs so I dont have the problem of thieves. People always ask me to show them how easy it is to remove my bumblebeebolton off my bike and when i show em they are amazed with the idea..its funny they say there's no way your whole kit just comes right off your bike..then i say oh ya..pull my r-pin disconnect the throttle cable from the handle and its off!
There was another guy on the forum here, I forget who, but he did just that. Went to work, pulled up, parked his bike outside but didnt lock it, removed his bumblebee and took it into work with him, came out, bike was gone. What good is the engine with no bike to re-attach it to? Thieves will take a bike with or without an engine, and it doesnt matter if it looks like a piece of crap or not, they will still take it if they want it. Also, I wouldn't be going around showing so many people how easy it is to remove. The first time you are in a rush or think you're only going to be a minute or two and dont bother taking your engine off (and it could happen, people do get busy or lazy sometimes) your engine will be gone.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
http://www.target.com/p/bell-12mm-k...977#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=kevlar bike lock

I got this lock at Target because it incorporates a kevlar tether in the cable, so it would require power tools and a lot of time to cut through the lock. I only plan on leaving my bike outside in chill public spaces, so this should be sufficient. The same kevlar material is used in body armor and formula car wheel tethers.

If you live where somebody can get away with hacking your frame in half to steal all the components, or a place where people try to survive stealing bicycles, I sincerely hope that things work out so that you can find a better neighborhood, because that's not cool. I can identify, I had my subwoofer box stolen out of my trunk in my own driveway in Marin a couple years ago. it must have been an inside job with a shady roommates friends or something because they managed to pick a day when I forgot to lock my trunk.

I say, if you can manage to bring your bikes in at night, that's a good thing. I keep my bikes inside because everybody in town is interested when I ride them, and you can just pick them up and walk away. At least with a motorcycle it's too heavy to move easily if it has been all locked up.

I figure that the kevlar lock will be enough deterrent, even if they start cutting into it because the stuff is incredibly resilient. It's a really long lock so you might be able to wrap it around both wheels and loop it through the frame so everything is secured.

You could use some tamper resistant hardware on your engine mounts to prevent that flying away. It's really sad to read threads like this, because they verify that my paranoia is justified, which sucks. I have a living room full of bikes because I can't trust people in my suburban town, not even my landlord's family. sigh... :(

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
The alarm, phone and BumbleBee are valid suggestions. I am that I really only have to go to school seeing as I don't have a job. I liked Hal Druzal's videos where he grades bikes based on how they are locked.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
There was another guy on the forum here, I forget who, but he did just that. Went to work, pulled up, parked his bike outside but didnt lock it, removed his bumblebee and took it into work with him, came out, bike was gone. What good is the engine with no bike to re-attach it to? Thieves will take a bike with or without an engine, and it doesnt matter if it looks like a piece of crap or not, they will still take it if they want it. Also, I wouldn't be going around showing so many people how easy it is to remove. The first time you are in a rush or think you're only going to be a minute or two and dont bother taking your engine off (and it could happen, people do get busy or lazy sometimes) your engine will be gone.
Ya that was me! They would have taken my bike engine or not. Atleast all i had to do is buy a new bike and a $10 bracket that bolts on the bike with just one bolt and holds the whole kit on the bike! You can use a lock instead of a r-pin to so noone can take you kit off!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I would lock the engine to the bike, in fact, that would have been the first thing I would have done after installing a Bumblebee. I would also have invested in a decent lock for the bike. This is just my opinion, but why make it easy for anyone to steal your bike, whether the motor is attached or not? I have at least $1200 in my bike to date, and as it sit right now its worth about 650. Not to mention that after having this bike for two years, I've finally got it built the way I like. I couldnt just let some thief walk off with it without having to put some serious work into it. I wouldnt have it.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I would lock the engine to the bike, in fact, that would have been the first thing I would have done after installing a Bumblebee. I would also have invested in a decent lock for the bike. This is just my opinion, but why make it easy for anyone to steal your bike, whether the motor is attached or not? I have at least $1200 in my bike to date, and as it sit right now its worth about 650. Not to mention that after having this bike for two years, I've finally got it built the way I like. I couldnt just let some thief walk off with it without having to put some serious work into it. I wouldnt have it.
Ya I learned my lesson! Lock it up!

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno
dance1I've had my kit up and running for about 2 months now, and I was paranoid about my bike getting stolen. After a few break downs and bent spokes/rims broken chain and what not I woulda laughed at someone if they tried to take it. But now this china girl is running like a champ. The only place I'd worry about my bike would be where I live. Wife says it can't be inside so on the patio it goes, first floor but we got almost a 6 foot fence to climb over so if I hear a bump in the night they'll meet my friends Smith and Wesson.

JK. I don't have guns. I'll shoot em with my slingshot while their trying to get it started.

Last edited: