Boy Go Fast Gave Me the Shaft With No Key and No fortune Cookie

GoldenMotor.com

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Hi there From Texas, I bought an 80 cc engine kit from an Ebay Seller Boy Go Fast and the Engine Came to me Running but with Issues. To Make a Long Story Short the Engine is Missing the woodruff Key that Goes to Clutch shaft. I emailed the seller about the problem and he only offered to sell me the gear puller I would need. I am now stuck with an engine that needs repair. I have searched threads that involve removing woodruff key but most are part of a complete engine tear down and I am only trying to install the woodruff key on the clutch shaft. I need to know what tools I would need to do the job and what I have to do to install the key. If someone out there can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. By the way I am no longer buying from Boy Go Fast, I found this site very helpful in finding my engines and parts Thanks

zpt

Attachments

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Yeah that other thread was before I knew Boy Go Fast was gonna tell me to get lost. He offered to sell me the gear puller and wrote reply if you want. Then I did reply telling him I would pay shipping both ways if he would only install the key for me and that's when I realized what he meant when he said reply if you want. He never responded to that email and suddenly I felt like a door hit me in the @??:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What makes you think there's no key in there? You can't really see it without pulling the gear.

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
That hole is hollow, I checked it with a flash light and the problem it would cause was the nut that goes there would constantly get loose and cause engine not to start.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
BGF can't fix your key. He never sees the engines. They are droppshipped from a warehouse in Cali.. They are Chinese POS and a crapshoot no matter who you buy them from. I believe his ads state no warranty or gurantees.
That said, i have bought 8 kits from him, and many replacement parts, and I am happy with his service and product. At these cheap prices,I expect the problems, and just deal with them.

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
I figure you get what you pay for but there is sellers here who can give better customer service for a fraction more of the cost. Well worth it in my opinion when you figure the head aches you get when you get the short end of the stick on a bad engine with no seller help. I will do my best to avoid Boy GO Fast From Now on and I'm not here to bash but rather explain my experience. I just need to know how to install the woodruff key without doing a complete engine tear down or messing things up, Thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That hole is hollow, I checked it with a flash light and the problem it would cause was the nut that goes there would constantly get loose and cause engine not to start.
I see. Will it's very easy to fix. Everything on these motors is easy to work on. You're going to need a gear puller tool. This is what it looks like. The same tool pulls all the gears and sprockets off all the shafts. All the motor bicycle webb stores sell it. About $4. You need to order the tool, and get a key at the same time.

Here's what you need.

http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/eptpt.htm

http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/epcl19.htm

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks Biknut and everyone else here, You guys are the greatest, By the way how would I install it now that I know where to get the parts and tool?

Last edited:

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
I have never heard of any business too use policies such as these. If you are sold new item that’s faulty that’s your bad luck, no matter what the price it just sounds wrong. Don’t you have a consumer affairs service?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
if you want a perfect motor with a warranty buy a honda or learn to fix it yourself. takes less then 30 minutes to teardown and replace the key on the output shaft your clutch is on
pull the sprocket off under the cover where the clutch lever is and there will be another key. Bring that key to local autoparts store or small engine shop and get the same size will cost you less then $1

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the input, I'm still looking for the information on installing the key, I already ordered the key and tool so I just need to know what I'm doing first before I attempt the installation. Thanks

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for the input, I'm still looking for the information on installing the key, I already ordered the key and tool so I just need to know what I'm doing first before I attempt the installation. Thanks
First of when you get the gear puller, make sure the threads are good. You may need to take a small 3 corner file and work on the teeth. Make sure that the tool is bottomed out when threading it on to the gear BEFORE you attempt to remove it. When installing the woodruff key ensure that it fits correctly (in the key way and gear). Then take a drop of super glue and put a drop in the shaft key way, insert key and let dry. This is VERY helpful when replacing the magnet key. More gear pullers will be destroyed because the tool is not seated properly and when removing the gear you strip the threads in the tool rather then the gear as the pulled is softer.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
First of when you get the gear puller, make sure the threads are good. You may need to take a small 3 corner file and work on the teeth. Make sure that the tool is bottomed out when threading it on to the gear BEFORE you attempt to remove it. When installing the woodruff key ensure that it fits correctly (in the key way and gear). Then take a drop of super glue and put a drop in the shaft key way, insert key and let dry. This is VERY helpful when replacing the magnet key. More gear pullers will be destroyed because the tool is not seated properly and when removing the gear you strip the threads in the tool rather then the gear as the pulled is softer.
This is the voice of experience. On these motors all of the keys are little half moon shaped things. All the shafts are straight with no tapers. If you install the gear on the shaft without the key, it just slides on, but when the key is in place, it tends to shift position and start binding as you try to slide the gear on.

If you have trouble getting the gear on all the way that's probably what's happening.

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Once I thread the puller on there am I going to need an impact tool to remove it or will I be able to turn it with a wrench or socket, Thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If things seem really stuck together, a little heat from a propane torch helps a lot.