Frame Jig on the cheap

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Frame Jig

This is my attempt at a jig to build my own custom frames. I cleaned out the garage and found all this material left over from a HVAC job I did last year when the economy was good. The jobs are hit and miss now. Ok, back to the jig. If I had to guess it’s about 100.00 to 150.00 worth of material to complete and is fully adjustable. I am sure I will need to modify it a little but it looks like it will work.

Building this was like a flash back 40 years ago...Erector Set... just find the part and bolt it together...I was a kid at heart for a few hours then reality set in...Wow that was a trip....

I went to the local metal supply and looked over tubing and was surprised at the prices; 5/8 .065 was 20.00 for 20 feet and 1 1/8 was a little more. chromoly tubing was somewhere around 50.00 for the stick. I would end up making the frame out of chromoly. It welds so much nicer. I figure I could build a frame for under a 100.00.

Now the hard part is designing what I want to build…what I need to do is get my mind away from the style I always gravitate to…

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Culver. And it's mobile! Really nice and useful touch. (Just realized it might be placed on the cart just for pics) Can't wait to see more pics and your first use.

Great job.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I added some more pictures to show the material I used to make the jig. The metal is uni-strut, as you can see I am able to move my setups within the track system by loosening one bolt that is connected within the track with a spring nut. My alignment is all taken off the main piece of strut. I have set-up the rear drop out as a mock up. One of the pictures shows how it can fold up and may be leaned against a wall for storage. I now have it on a table so I can work on it with ease.

Flybytaco...I know you could build your own...bro...

Well off to the drag races at Pomona……no rain no rain no rain.wee.

Attachments

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
nope i went there all they had were simpson strongtie L brackets that would work mint with some drilling.
btw that is definately a great design i love it i can also see some sick dropped long frames come off that thing

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice start on the jig. I found that once you get a frame all clamped into the jig it get's very heavy. Then you constantly have to move it around to get the best possible position to weld in. I finally mounted mine to an automotive engine stand. Now I can roll it around and rotate the frame and jig easily to get the best possible brazing and welding positions. Before I did that building frames was back breaking work.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I get so much more satisfaction building my own stuff. like the frame i'm building now with full suspension. I wouldnt be into this hobby if it were just about slapping a kit in a beach cruiser.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just one question? are you brazing all your frames?
Lug and fillet brazing on the frame tubes. Fillet brazing is far more challenging. All engine mounts and brackets are tig welded as bronze is more susceptible to vibration cracking. You probably should double up your base piece of unistrut as it will have to control the twisting forces of the entire frame. Also, never force a frame into a jig. It needs to be carefully fitted without loading up any of the tubes, otherwise when you pull it out of the jig it can distorte. Building frames is actually easier than building gas tanks. Good luck.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Nice start on the jig. I found that once you get a frame all clamped into the jig it get's very heavy. Then you constantly have to move it around to get the best possible position to weld in. I finally mounted mine to an automotive engine stand. Now I can roll it around and rotate the frame and jig easily to get the best possible brazing and welding positions. Before I did that building frames was back breaking work.
Good idea with the engine stand so you can spin it, but i cant imagine how youd do it and be strong enough..... could you post a picture?

CCC, how has this jig held up and have you changed it any?

I want to start building my own frames too.