Notice: Mopeds Forum open discussion For & Against

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Forum members here is the place for discussion of a Moped Forum!

As suggested by BarelyAWake,
If there are any forum members who'd like to start a new thread in 'General Discussion's' directly related to adding Mopeds Forum please do so in the 'General Discussions' Forum, as suggested by 'BarelyAWake'! Here's the new thread!!!

I was hoping others would take BarelyAWake's suggestion and start this thread, however no one has and others are continuing to post in the thread I started Mopeds The Other Motorized Bicycles to discuss the topic of adding a Mopeds Forum,
whereas my thread topic in "Mopeds The Other Motorized Bicycles" and is,
Based on the following below:
Moped Parts, and Components can and have been used to make our motorized bicycles more functional, using moped wheels / hubs, using moped lighting / electrical components, using moped engines with built in pedals, using moped gas tanks, using moped seats, using moped forks / suspensions.

I'd also like to say again, that my intention for starting the thread Mopeds The Other Motorized Bicycles was for reply's from motorized bicyclists whom are or have been utilizing moped parts for their builds, and to share their knowledge and experience with using moped parts. I hope that thread continues to grow with motorized bicyclists replying with their thoughts, Ideas, and experience related to moped parts and components that can or are being used on their motorized bicycles!

Here's the Link to "Mopeds The Other Motorized Bicycles"
http://motorbicycling.com/f18/mopeds-other-motorized-bicycles-24507.html

If you so chose to discuss a Mopeds Forum please share your thoughts, opinions, concerns etc etc or if you are for it or against and why here in this thread as suggested by "BarelyAWake " if you have a post in the thread titled "Mopeds The Other Motorized Bicycles" and it is directly related to Moped Forums thread, you can PM a Moderator requesting it be moved here !!!

C.H.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think it would be good to have a discussion about the differences between mopeds and motor bicycles. Moped is a generic term for motorcycle. In some states a moped is required to be registered and licensed like any motorcycle. Many vehicles that are classified as mopeds don't have peddles. Having peddles is an important quality. Without peddles there's no question a vehicle is a self propelled vehicle. That automatically makes it a motor vehicle in most states, because in most states only self propelled vehicles can be considered motor vehicles. Even though we all might call a vehicle like a motor bicycle a moped, strict interpretation of the law might be different from what we think.

I think you can see where I'm going with this. If the law says a motor vehicle is defined as being self propelled, but you have to peddle it up to speed before the motor can take over then it's not going to be considered a motor vehicle. That's an important distinction for motor bicycles.

Think about it like this, if you had to get out of your car at every stop sign and push it up to 6 or 7 mph before you can let the clutch out so the engine can drive the car, do you consider that car self propelled?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Well, (true)mopeds are really a whole new can of worms, eh? I'd prefer 'moped parts used on bicycle' or 'scavenged from moped', or something along that line, if any.

my 2c.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i use parts from anything i can find, cars, boats, airplanes, washing machines, etc. maybe instead of mopeds it should be a scavenger/junk yard crawl thing. hey look what i found that works. i know we have a lot of subforums already and since i asked for a hub forum i'll be the last to shoot one down.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
washing mach sounds interesting,I was looking at the clutch set up and pulleys on one I took a filler valve out of the other day