Shipping a Motorized Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I need information regarding shipping and packaging of an MB. Is there anybody that had experience shipping their bike? What kind of box is appropriate? Shipping company use? Thanks for help.

PS I tried some shipping company I found in the web and quoted a $675.00 from NJ to California...too much $$$...!!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Ive been looking around for this info as well, interested in seeing someone pipe in with the good info.
Cheers

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I have shipped a couple of bikes......... I use UPS. The first one I shipped in a bicycle box and it was damaged in shipping and because "I" packed it, the insurance claimed that I didn't use a stong enough box. From the looks of the box upon arrival a steel crate would have been damaged. So....

The second bike I shipped I took it to UPS and let them pack it in their box ($43 box..Pretty much the same box I used). Insurance wise they will have to honor their packaging and handling.

I shipped a motorized bike (83lbs) from south Florida to California for $234 including box, packaging and insurance.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Air Cargo is an option.

This is SouthWest Airlines Cargo page.
Southwest Air Cargo - Cargo Rates and Rate Calculator
Most airlines and some other carries fly out of Air Cargo as well, so check what flys from where you are to where it's going, and of course the flight options.

Be sure to read the airlines shipping guidelines too. SWA is 90 total inches (H+L+W).

I could ship my bike from here in Phoenix to New York right now and have it there tonight for $112.46

Or San Fransisco for $72!

For obvious reasons there can't be any fuel in it.
If it even hints of fuel they won't take it, so if you know you are going to being shipping it use something other than the bikes gas tank for test rides, thoroughly clean the carb, then put your ship ready fuel line on.

To pack it, your local bike stores and department stores should have bike shipping boxes if you don't have a couple yourself from ordered bikes, but you have to make one from two boxes unless you can find one big enough.

Basically you pull the handlebars off from the head with all the controls intact on it, and the front wheel off too, and maybe the seat and pedals if need be and zip-tie them to the frame to get overall size down.
Build a box around it and take it to the airports Air Cargo center.
If you can't get it to fit in one box you can always put the seat, gas tank and pedals in a second box.

The Air Cargo terminal is not the Passenger Terminal of the airport, it is a completely separate area.
You check it there and it goes in special Air Cargo bins and on the flight you choose.
When it arrives at the other end, the recipient goes to their airports air cargo center and picks it up.

I haven't shipped an assembled MB yet, but I have used air cargo many a time, mostly back in my computer days when a part was needed ASAP.

The reason it's so cheap is it's easy for them to handle and it doesn't go on a delivery truck or through the passenger terminal as a separate item.

Hehehe... Can you imagine what it would cost you to take your MB as checked luggage these day?
Jezzz, a bag of golf clubs is more.

Ohhh, one more note, the box will be opened and inspected so don't go crazy with the packaging before you go, and take your tape and banding tool with you.

Hope that helps ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hmmm, quick update...
Looks like it much harder to ship air cargo since 9-11, you have to register and stuff.
I am going to again, what the heck right? I'll let you know how it goes.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
I have not shipped a bike but I have shipped a table and chairs from Portland, to Bozeman, MT. I went to a place called uship.com, put in what I wanted to ship and different companies will bid on it. At first I thought I was looking at $700ish, but I ended up with a bid for about $150. A lot of shipping companies running from one place to another will have a little extra room and can fit you in for a pretty low cost. Might be something for you to look at. When you get the bids you can ask about how it should be packaged.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If your going be there when it gets there ,or can trust the person to put it back on the bike,mail the motor separate w/the tank,wash it out w/soap and water and dry it(the tank),put raggs in the ends of the muffler for drips

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: Why I Started This Motor Bicycle Forum

I love this forum... lots of info and nice folks. I haven't quite got my first motorized bike going yet, I drive truck long haul and had to leave for Texas today but got the motor and the SBP jackshaft mounted before I ran out of time. Fingers crossed will have it going next time I get home.
Quick question about trucking...
If someone wanted to get completed MB from one point to another, do independents or even trucking companies take in something like a completed bike to toss on the truck for a reasonable price if it can dropped off to you and picked up when you get where it's going?
Is there a web site people can post what they want shipped where truckers look?

And welcome to the site.
I look forward to your Jackshaft build pics, I ride one myself ;-}

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
Re: Why I Started This Motor Bicycle Forum

Quick question about trucking...
If someone wanted to get completed MB from one point to another, do independents or even trucking companies take in something like a completed bike to toss on the truck for a reasonable price if it can dropped off to you and picked up when you get where it's going?
Is there a web site people can post what they want shipped where truckers look?

And welcome to the site.
I look forward to your Jackshaft build pics, I ride one myself ;-}
I have used uship.com in the past to get something from one place to another as an add on. The website sends requests out for bids and independent (usually) movers will contact you. I needed something moved from Oregon to Montana and instead of the $700 I was originally quoted, I got it for $150 or so. It seems to me that what some of these guys do is look for something small that can be added to an incomplete load near where they pick up and on the way or at the same place to which the are travedling. In my situation, he was picking up in Seattle and going to Minnesota, so he ran down to Portland, picked it up and broght it to me on his way.