Fuel filters

GoldenMotor.com

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Looking for a fuel filter to add to my build. Saw some dealers have them but I was hoping for more options than just the one crappy looking plastic one. What size is the filter for a 4 stroke? Would 1/8" or 1/4" work? I saw some stuff at Dave's Discount Motors I like:

jj50x

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looking for a fuel filter to add to my build. Saw some dealers have them but I was hoping for more options than just the one crappy looking plastic one. What size is the filter for a 4 stroke? Would 1/8" or 1/4" work? I saw some stuff at Dave's Discount Motors I like:

jj50x
Hey Rob, 1/8" is the prefered size and any of those that DDM has work just fine. I actually prefer this one:
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6069/.f

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
do you have that fuel filter and which side is up
If your talking to me, of course I do, otherwise how could I prefer it? And in the photo, the end that's down is the end that's up, depending how you look at it....does that make sense? But yeah. I believe the description is there, but sometimes I'll run mine the opposite direction just because.

It's called the crap-trap and it's made for 2-strokes....4-strokes too!

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey BarleyAwake do You have a part number for that type of filter I saw it once here and did not save it.

CHEERSbrnot

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was told that it's better to use fuel filters that are specially made for 2-cycle engines (because of the oil mix.)
I don't know how bad it could really be if you use a regular filter? But it kinda makes a little sense that the oil might not pass through a regular filter as easy.

I've always just used the kit filters, & if I ever needed a new one?, I use a filter for a weed wacker.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey BarleyAwake do You have a part number for that type of filter I saw it once here and did not save it.

CHEERSbrnot
NP mang, it's buried in the Rustoration Build Off thread - ya'd have a heck of a time findin' it lol;

NAPA 7-02350 Filter Bowl Assembly (complete)

It's like $10 or so & ofc cleanable ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The threads in the kit tank are not 3/8". It is a metric machine thread but it can be modified with a 1/8" pipe tap. Be very careful and don't thread too deep, just enough so a 1/8" male fitting will start good. Let the tapered threads do the sealing. If you have any seapage, SealAll will stop it.
As for fuel line, I'm not sure how you guys are getting 3/16" I.D tubing to fit over the petcock/carburetor barbed nipples. I use 1/4" I.D (inside diameter) fuel line and it does fine even without clamps, but I do clamp them just for security.
Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Heck, if you are looking for better fuel filtering, pull your tank filter out if has one, carb too, and then just take your gas line with you to your local auto parts store.

Something you see into helps.

I don't know how these $5 to $10 filters on-line only cost that much delivered unless they are part of a much larger order that covers shipping because just shipping a single item like a fuel filter is $5-$10.

What I have helpful regarding when I need just one part from places like SickBikes or GasBikes is go ahead and buy those little items I am likely to need in the future as well.

This only works if you build more than 1 bike of course, but it has payed off in spades for me so far.

I may get laughed at for this too, but I just use premium gas from Exxon and Mobil for my MB's.
I know the extra octane does nothing, but it is always nice clean gas with some nice additive like Tekron and less Ethanol junk in it.

In short, unless you are in habit of leaving you gas cap off to let dirt in a simple filter and good fuel should do you just fine.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The threads in the kit tank are not 3/8". It is a metric machine thread but it can be modified with a 1/8" pipe tap. Be very careful and don't thread too deep, just enough so a 1/8" male fitting will start good. Let the tapered threads do the sealing. If you have any seapage, SealAll will stop it.
As for fuel line, I'm not sure how you guys are getting 3/16" I.D tubing to fit over the petcock/carburetor barbed nipples. I use 1/4" I.D (inside diameter) fuel line and it does fine even without clamps, but I do clamp them just for security.
Tom
Yes Tom, those are metric pipe threads equivalent to a US 3/8" per se. The poster asking is in Australia and they're metric down-under, so close enough to 3/8" with metric thread pitch.

As for using 3/16" on the larger barbs, just heat tubing up and add a drop of oil to it....slips right on and no need for clamps as well. You pretty much need a razor knife to remove it however.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
As for fuel line, I'm not sure how you guys are getting 3/16" I.D tubing to fit over the petcock/carburetor barbed nipples.
I thought I took a pic of two Grubee carbs side by side but can't find it. One had SPEED on the throttle body, the other didn't. Not only were the jets different, the fuel line inputs were different sizes.
The Speed carb was the same size as the tank petcock, the other however was much larger.

I opt for the heavy duty larger diameter auto gas line and if it is too big I find just slipping the clear plastic gas line on, cut it off level with the fitting, then put the fatter gas line over it works fine.

One side note...
Regardless of what size black automotive gas line you use, a little spray from the old original pump style ArmourAll on in will help it last a lot longer.

Also note that auto and hardware stores sell all kinds of black tubing like windshield wiper fluid and vacuum line. Gas will eat right threw those hoses. Make sure it is real gasoline line!
Expect to to pay 80 cents to a buck a foot for it too. If it is 25 cent/ft hose, it is not gasoline hose.

Just my 2 cents too, and I agree that humor is a little used free commodity sometimes, especially in a bad economy. I on the other hand like to use it whenever possible to the point that I don't have wrinkles on my face, I just have really pronounced laugh lines ;-}