Dash Board, solar recharger and 6/12V batt set up

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got this idea from RusticoRay. He has Velcro on his gas tank and mounts his GPS on it. When he gets any where, he pops it off and slips it in his pocket. We rode down a seriously bumpy dirt road and the GPS didn't budge. So I thought I would make a dash board and mount a speedo, tach and a GPS. Coming out kinda cool so far. Gonna do a solar recharger on 2 6V batts so as to have both 6 an' 12 volts by running them in series. Cig lighter mounted in an amo case that will also house the batts. So can recharge GPS, cell phone and will have a radio.

I went with a pc of old cedar but not sure I will keep it that way. Was going for old world look but kinda looks like I took a pc of scrap wood and stained it an' drilled some holes. What I actually did was take a pc of old scrap wood, stained it and drilled some holes. Will be a anolog speedo to the rt of the GPS and a toggle kill switch. Also an unconnected warp drive switch. (Can not be wired as it is illegal here)

I am going to mount the painted amo case in front of the steering tube and below the handle bars. Hanging but supported by the forks.

Thoughts, suggestions or jokes? .bf.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome fair. TY. Was meaning to write you about this and a few other odd thoughts an see what ya thought.

Fritz, they sell these joke toggle switches labeled; "Warp Drive" "NOS" "after burner" "photon torpedo" All sorts of crazy stuff. Their just cheap but real switches with stickers. Las time I saw one was in a 7/11 (Circle K down South) for 99 cents or some thing like that. Will find a link. Hey! thats a thought, make our own. to be "Bicycle" turn switch down to "MB Power" OK, I got nutton but could be funny.
Couldnt find any, but this is the idea; http://www.augerresources.com/switchplates03.jpg

Very Cool Jack! I really like the clear idea! Plastic, accept no cheap imitation! Easy to work with and would be see threw. In real life, the stained cedar really does look good. Is held on by one pipe clamp and 2 bolts. So can experiment easily. Wanna try polished aluminum-inum too. Think that might look sharp on a more modern looking rig.

Thanks guys. I have strange thoughts an never really know what is esthetically pleasing. I really do like the look of hose clamps, U bolts and general disarray. Drives my biz partner insane! hehehehe, snicker sniker.

One of the first conversations Fair and I had was about how much I liked his Junk yard dog build. (Was that her name? I really did think thats what you rode in the Death race. Cracked me up when you thought I was trying to supply a tshirt. I was trying to sponcer you for a whole set of wheels) But really liked the look of her.

(/end rambling)
drn2

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One of the first conversations Fair and I had was about how much I liked his Junk yard dog build. (Was that her name? I really did think thats what you rode in the Death race. Cracked me up when you thought I was trying to supply a tshirt. I was trying to sponcer you for a whole set of wheels) But really liked the look of her.

(/end rambling)
drn2
Yes the Junk Yard dog or J-Dog or a** cracker. The J-Dog has never seen the track, unfortunately the J-Dog has been sitting idle with a lack of funds to get her up and going again. In fact I have chopped off the entire rear motor mount rack and need to start all over. Right now it is just a regular bicycle with parts stolen off to keep my other rides going. I miss that bike

T-shirt? I was so confused by all that I have no ideal what was going on :oops:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I know I said it a bunch of times but really think your saddle mount idea is the way to go. Love my 4 smokes but wide peddles annoy me. Your way, you have the advantage of a rear mount. Clearance and all the noise an vibes are behind. Have a Honda sitting doing nothing I wanna try it on. But cannibalized all my bikes. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In the great words of Kyle from South Park, "I learned some thing here today" Put the warm, fuzzy soft side of the velcro on the part that comes off.

Novelty horn thing I got off a RC Dukes of hazzard car that was used to make a test model for the flying, floating MB. (Yes, I am actually building it! lol)

Vid is not good.

Dash Board sound video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Other day was going to fast down a hill while making a left. Hit a series of small pot holes hard enough to knock my feet off the peddles and the bicycle chain off. Good, hard hits and the GPS stayed on fine. Velcro, who knew?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I seemed to remember early on this this forum where there was talk of a flat screen? Can't think of where. That's pretty cool sharp too(^)

Last edited:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
thats kinda funny,i have a 59 willys pickup with a chevy 6 banger in it offenhauer 4 bbl manifold with a big *** carter 2 barrel carb pretty much straight exhaust a glasspack that i burned out with gas anybody else ever do that?
any way my heater switch is labled warp drive,frank

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Frank! Love it.

GH, I want to put one of those rear view cams on. (ya know, so it is the most obscenely over complicated MB on the Earth. ((also, 12V for the GPS, stereo and cig lighter) I can't find the thread, do you remember?