new motor kit

GoldenMotor.com

mhillz

Mar 1, 2010
NJ
So I'm going to build my first bike and I'm looking to order a motor kit online. I was jus wondering if somebody could possible recomend a kit for me? I'm hoping to find something that offers a good amount of power and is easy to upgrade to optimize performance. Anybody got any ideas for me?

mhillz

Mar 1, 2010
NJ
Thanks for the suggestions guys, now u got any suggestions were I might be able to get one for a decent price?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Pirate sells theirs for $140, what better price are you looking for?
Bicycle Engine Kits

Spend the extra $10 or $20 and get the customer service that Troy is famous for. Good luck trying to get anyone on ebay to contact you back about misplaced part, broken parts in kit, etc. It's not worth it, go with Pirate you won't regret it.

And by the way Troy, if your reading this, thanks for my chain last week. Ordered on Tuesday, got it on Thursday!!! What a life saver. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
mhillz do a lil research and find parts availability on these motors then decide. Also check into what you want a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. Then go from there, If your like me I thought I knew what I wanted but after jumping in I learned different. Do you want twist throttle or thumb lever? Auotmatic or clutch lever driven? HP? Ease of maitenance?..........just goes from there do your own research I wish I HAD before my 1st buy. These forums were after the facr for me.......good luck bud.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
At least put a hand brake on the front. Gives you more stopping power. I put dual hand brakes on my cruiser with a dual pull lever, but I left on the coaster brake as an emergency "oh SH$T" brake, lol.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I dont care what any one says a coaster brake alone is flirting with disaster. In my youth when I last had experience with just a coaster brake there were near disasters that could have been avoided. Do the coaster brake but get ya a front friction brake too to stay alive!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I dont care what any one says a coaster brake alone is flirting with disaster. In my youth when I last had experience with just a coaster brake there were near disasters that could have been avoided. Do the coaster brake but get ya a front friction brake too to stay alive!
Bandito Speaks the Truth!!!

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
So I'm going to build my first bike and I'm looking to order a motor kit online. I was jus wondering if somebody could possible recomend a kit for me? I'm hoping to find something that offers a good amount of power and is easy to upgrade to optimize performance. Anybody got any ideas for me?
The bike you chose is fair, but I would recomend paying a nickel more and get first class, get a FELT!!! they will last you LONGER!!!
Jim
.trk

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
ok so i just odered the pk80 from pirate cycles and im now looking at bikes, i was considering this one:
The General - Army Bike (Special Edition) Micargi The General [Micargi General Army Cruiser] - $180.00 : Chubby's Cruisers, Tour one stop cruiser shop!
but i was wondering if this would be a problem because of the coaster breaks? would i need to buy handbreaks?
mhillz yes you got to have a front brake or a secondary brake. Single coaster brake is not sufficient and not recommended. Sounds like your first bike. Welcome to the interesting and highly addictive hobby of MB. I would suggest that you also get a sprocket adapter as it will make your life very easy on your build. Again check out pirate cycles.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree about getting a front brake also. but in his post, it sounded like he was condemning the whole bike because it had a coaster, like it wouldn't work.

not to mention, his question(s) is a classic newbie post, which has been answered, i dunno, 8 or 9 million times already, with the same exact results as posted above; reliable dealer, front brake, blah blah blah.

next, someone will explain the danger of fenders...;)

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
i agree about getting a front brake also. but in his post, it sounded like he was condemning the whole bike because it had a coaster, like it wouldn't work.

not to mention, his question(s) is a classic newbie post, which has been answered, i dunno, 8 or 9 million times already, with the same exact results as posted above; reliable dealer, front brake, blah blah blah.

next, someone will explain the danger of fenders...;)
I have no harm in my post and no intent of condemning the whole bike. I was just reposting what I have read and learned from this forum. As I was once a newbie to like you...agree? Also I did notice other post and was already answered. Sorry if I get you annoyed in my post. Got it???

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no worries kevron, didn't mean anything towards you. i was just interpreting the original poster's reply in a humorous way. when he typed "but i was wondering if this would be a problem because of the coaster breaks?" it just seemed funny to me.

i was gonna type something about the coaster "breaking," but i didn't want to make fun of his mispelling.

also, mhillz, i always suggest getting a bike you're comfortable with. i've been riding coaster braked cruisers for 35 years, so i love 'em. i also think it's a good idea to ride it around without a motor for awhile, first, so you know how it reacts.