what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I had the same problem with my flooded carb, what you have to do is take the bowl underneath out and bend the 2 metal "C" looking clip that controls the flow of gas into the bowl. Bend it upward ever so slightly, put everything back together and that should solve your flooding issue.
Thanks. that is one solution I have been afraid to try.

I have done these things:

Make sure the C clip (I guess that's it's official name now) is installed right-side-up. So that the pencil stub looking valve is hooked into the C clip, not just resting on top of it.

Make sure there is no obstruction (any speck will be enough to make it stick open or shut)

AND (this is a big one)

I let the carb lean about 30 degrees to the right. For some reason I am getting much worst mileage (about 60 mpg) and getting a much higher top speed.
I will not pretend to understand why but I'm gonna go with it.

If anyone has an explanation I am all ears.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York

It's probably because the carb is taking more gas because the way it is set? The carb should b evenly flat

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

You probably want to use a much less volatile and explosive solvent then!

I used to use old gas in a coffee can to vat out bike chains and cassette cogs and freewheels. Someone pointed out what a bad idea it was.

might be gud to drop a handful of marbles and a packet of steel BB's in that gas tank and shake it around for a while (with a cup of pre-mix) and then flush it out to remove any scale in there... I'm STILL not running a filter and have had no probs.
(which doesn't mean I won't, today!) :)
rc

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario

picked up a new grubee ( poop as usual ) , gotta love the guy that sells em though ,
he thinks they are made by groovy ... ha

ANYWAYS .. real nice castings .. ok .. spent about 1 1/2 hours with a file doing the fins . I want a more rounded look ( like the 49roundheads ) so i took a little more time to radius the corners and the top of the head .

still some matching up to do between the jug and the head .. but it looks way better now . The worst part was on the jug ( about 1/4 between the highest and lowest spot )

Oh yeah .. they didn,t hone the cylinder iether . ( nice bore .. its good .. just hasn,t been honed ) Now i,m gonna have to scuff it up a bit , or the rings will never seat .

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I've heard so many chain probs here I bought some lube yesterday, and sprayed it on today, after a warm-up ride.

Liquid Wrench brand... I don't like it, so far. but anything should be an improvement, and I'll see how it holds up, and if it slings off on to my rim.

My chain is junk. I should replace it... for safety!

...and jowen is listening to 'eclectic music' ??? AC/DC ? Back in Black?

:)
rc

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

You probably want to use a much less volatile and explosive solvent then!

I used to use old gas in a coffee can to vat out bike chains and cassette cogs and freewheels. Someone pointed out what a bad idea it was.
LOL Happy

(now ya tell us!)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Be careful not to use chain lubricants with "moly" in the formula. They work for industrial chains that don't get cleaned enough, powered by big motors, but on bicycle chains they have a sticky substance that piles up like mud on the der. pulleys, and hardens into a thick resin!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Won a sack of 50 flanged serrated 1/4" lock nuts on Ebay. Watching an assortment of stainless steel all thread rod 1/4". Weld tabs with 1/4" holes in them to thread the rods through to form mounting points for the S5 E Morini motor.

Photos of the tab location, fab and welding to come :)

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

I swear I would pay twice the price for an engine kit that sucked just a little bit less.
Milk me for upgrades, spam my email with useless wastes of money, I do not care. I just want quality parts that work the first few times I install them.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I swear I would pay twice the price for an engine kit that sucked just a little bit less.
Milk me for upgrades, spam my email with useless wastes of money, I do not care. I just want quality parts that work the first few times I install them.
Uh, I dunno. Morini? I keep hearing they're good. I think they're a little bit more than twice the price, tho'. Piston Bikes got 'em. SportsCarPat uses 'em. I haven't yet, but I'm tempted - if I get enough cash on hand.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Got the 27 on the back end now to match the front- it's got a 34 alloy sprocket- the thing runs so good with a billet intake and speed carb I think the 34 will be no problem in flat florida-

So I also put a lightweight 413 TRUKE chain on this one- I've been riding the other bike with one quite a bit, and I'm sure that it now pedals easier and so easier then for the motor= and it's quieter too- so rolling easier.

So a lot of weight off the 66- lighter wheel with tire with better roll, lighter chain with less resistence. Alloy 34 lighter than steel 36 it replaces.

Also let me take the cantilever off the back and put a long reach caliper- this thimg looks awsome- and I'll try to post some pictures in pictures sectrion soon.
I've painted over the dark blue frame with that chrome silver paint- almost looks like a chrome frame now.

this thing is almost ready to roll and roll it will.

Well here it is minus pedal chain:
.santa

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Performed my first build. Not done yet and haven't gotten to start it yet. I really hope it works out.
The mounts I feel aren't exactly well done but the motor feels very solidly mounted.
I was also turning the engine with the sparkplug in and heard some kind of air leak under the compression. But easily could have been because I had not done more than finger tight on the spark plug and not even tightened the carb at all yet. I'm a nervous nelly!

If you'd like to help this is my thead on it:
http://motorbicycling.com/f42/motorizing-schwinn-35621-2.html (it's a trek I know, turns out my schwinn was to small)

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas

Received a fun package today. One step closer on my build.

Last edited:

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington

Nice engine there 2239968, what you gonna put it on? Anyway, today I gave my bike a complete tuneup. Cleaned the carb, adjusted cables, cleaned/greased chain, cleaned/greased clutch gears, cleaned/greased pedal chain, adjusted clutch, put cardboard in the clutch cover, glued mousepad to outside of clutch cover, mixed gas, filled tank, steel wooled any rust i found on anything, etcetc. Hopefully my morning test drive shall yield smoother, quieter, and maybe even stronger operation.

Pics: Tune Up pictures by frozenveinz - Photobucket