Realistic travel distances ?

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey all

I've done some traveling on my chinagirl builds ,the current motor being a touch over 800 km but for all my kits it would be an average of 2500 km ,this got me thinking

I've done some lengthy rides on a peddle bike at around 300 km being my longest ride ,I averaged about 60 odd km per dAy on a group ride but what if someone was to embark on a lengthy motorised bike ride .

If a chinagirl could travel over 2000 miles with only minor issues ,but travel with overnight breaks and such how long could one travel if you were to ride all day ,rest at night and get back on and repeat until you have reached the destination.

In essence could someone with the right training and maintenance plan for a few 1000 miles over a span of a week or two reach their destination .

I live in Melbourne Au and my family live in Perth Au which is separated by roughly 3000 km ,if I was to embark on a journey to Perth what do you think the realistic chances of a single chinagirl doing this ,obviously there would be cargo involved but would be kept to a minimum and of course spare parts just incase.

What's your guys/gals opinions on this

Regards Henshooter

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In essence could someone with the right training and maintenance plan for a few 1000 miles over a span of a week or two reach their destination .

I live in Melbourne Au and my family live in Perth Au which is separated by roughly 3000 km ,if I was to embark on a journey to Perth what do you think the realistic chances of a single chinagirl doing this ,obviously there would be cargo involved but would be kept to a minimum and of course spare parts just incase.

What's your guys/gals opinions on this

Regards Henshooter
It's possible, but I'd put the chances of success for most people less than 1%. That being said, the china girl engine, with proper maintenance wouldn't be the problem. It would be everything else, the bicycle frame, motor mounts, spokes, ect.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That would be quite the adventure, Hen.

No bout-a-doubt it, would be challenging and part failures are gonna happen. If you could do it via pedal power alone on a really good bike that could also make such a trip, I would say go for it and allow the time pedal only would need.

Then, you could just remove the chain and get some where to get needed parts or tools you couldn't carry.

Would make a great story/book. Kind of a "ride-about"
(that would be a cool title)

Would really enjoy seeing pictures and hearing the story.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
If I tried that on mine, the title of the book would be "Butt on the Barbie" --- 'cause my ass would probably be on fire. :D

Best of luck on the proposed adventure!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If I tried that on mine, the title of the book would be "Butt on the Barbie" --- 'cause my ass would probably be on fire. :D

Best of luck on the proposed adventure!!
LOL Xman. me2

===========
Henshooter, there was a TV commercial in the U.S. inviting Americans to visit and tour Australia that ended with the line; "...we'll slip a shrimp on the barbie for ya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_CPrCS8gs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_on_the_barbie

"Crocodile Dundee" era.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol. Some times referred to up this way as "praying to the porcelain god" "Rolfin' all night" and "I got this on vid and am gonna post it on youtube!"

I never heard the "punching the bowl" thing, snork

These cultural meetings can only lead to world peace and better parties.

wut?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hen, I have been thinking about this for years. A couple before I found this forum. (there were a few before this one)

But I wanted to do a long MB trip where folks would sorta bet for charitie how far I would make it on route 1 from the Canadian border to Key west, Florida. (proceeds to go to St Jude's

It is a 1950s kind of 2 to 4 lane strait line. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mai...cee92f77463b5e!2m2!1d-81.7799871!2d24.5550593

2K miles+ but what I was thinking was do it with a pusher trailer that doubled as a camper.

I know it is not what you were thinking but has some advantages. A, a camper. B, carry every thing you might need. And 3, can use a 4 stroke with a CVT driving small, gokart wheels giving you speed, torque and motor longevity. In what your thinking, is a good option, I think.

Just rambling.

Last edited:

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I would suggest a 4 stroke, steel frame and hand-built wheels with 12 guage spokes. Thorn proof tubes and liners.

Basically build a surly LHT with a 4 stroke. Good panniers, comfortable saddle.

II used to peddle a lot, but my new location is notorious for high winds, heat and unforgiving hills, so I cheated and went motorized.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hen, I have been thinking about this for years. A couple before I found this forum. (there were a few before this one)

But I wanted to do a long MB trip where folks would sorta bet for charitie how far I would make it on route 1 from the Canadian border to Key west, Florida. (proceeds to go to St Jude's

It is a 1950s kind of 2 to 4 lane strait line. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mai...cee92f77463b5e!2m2!1d-81.7799871!2d24.5550593

2K miles+ but what I was thinking was do it with a pusher trailer that doubled as a camper.

I know it is not what you were thinking but has some advantages. A, a camper. B, carry every thing you might need. And 3, can use a 4 stroke with a CVT driving small, gokart wheels giving you speed, torque and motor longevity. In what your thinking, is a good option, I think.

Just rambling.

Here's my thought.....

We should all get our bikes to Denver. Go on a good ride, then eat at the Buckhorn Exchange. If we should have any money left, just donate that to St. Judes. We all get together and visit with Tom, have a great ride in some awesome scenery, a very memorable meal, donate to a worthy cause, and a strengthening fellowship of the MBers.........I see no downside!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here's my thought.....

We should all get our bikes to Denver. Go on a good ride, then eat at the Buckhorn Exchange. If we should have any money left, just donate that to St. Judes. We all get together and visit with Tom, have a great ride in some awesome scenery, a very memorable meal, donate to a worthy cause, and a strengthening fellowship of the MBers.........I see no downside!!
You rock Xman. I'm in.

r.ly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's my thought.....

I'll have beer and steaks ready for everyone who shows. No kidding.

Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...If a chinagirl could travel over 2000 miles with only minor issues ,but travel with overnight breaks and such how long could one travel if you were to ride all day ,rest at night and get back on and repeat until you have reached the destination.

In essence could someone with the right training and maintenance plan for a few 1000 miles over a span of a week or two reach their destination...
The in-frame two stroke kits are indeed capable of such accumulated mileage, as you've experienced with yours as I mine... the catch I've found isn't so much whether the motor or even bicycle can do it as the distance isn't that great comparatively (I've one with 5x that mileage at least), the problem is as you hinted - rider endurance.

The pain & aggravation threshold varies greatly from person to person ofc, but although I have some years experience as an all-season daily rider/commuter, I've found that between the noise, vibration, riding position & road condition I really only have about 100 miles (161 km) in me before it's just no fun anymore, which is kinda short legged for serious travel, granted some may be able to do far more & in fact I can & have - I jus' get a wee bit cranky is all lol

If you're familiar with the peculiarities of the two stroke kits, comfy with your bike & what it's likely to need, there's no reason in the world to not give it a shot, folks regularly pedal far further after all, coast to coast across the US is about 3000 miles (4828 km) & it's a fairly common HPV attempt with time & budget usually the biggest concern.

Having said that... there is a reason I built meself a comfy four stroke/electric motorized recliner ;)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210

edit: forgot to include my comfiest two stroke two wheel example lol;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13144

Last edited: