Hello from Oklahoma

GoldenMotor.com

Ironhorse5.1

May 11, 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
.xx.Hello. I am from the OKC metro area. Recently finding myself having to use a bicycle as my mode of transportation, I got interested in adding a motor. I was initially looking at the Chinese chain drive ones. I decided instead to go with a Staton-Inc friction drive set up with a Tanaka 40cc engine. It was very easy to install and have only about 75 miles on it so far with Zero tire wear (still has the casting flash). I am impressed with the quality of the kit. I'd like to get a muffler to quiet the exhaust a bit. Yes I know, I chose the 2-stroke engine but I was afraid the Honda 4-stroke offered wouldn't be powerful enough. There is a .6 to .9 hp difference between the two depending on whose specs you read. I'm glad I opted for the more powerful engine because of the windy days we have here sometimes.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The one thing I truly like about our forum is they are less tolerant of rude and insulting remarks. We all have a right to our opinions but here consistent rudeness is something they won't put up with. Like many others I'm here to learn and share not fight.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Thank you folks. Members here seem to be friendlier on this site.

There's few things worse than 'belonging' to a club but hating to go to the 'clubhouse'..........we've got a great 'clubhouse'!! :D

Just the right dynamic of intelligence, helpfulness, irreverance, fun, and just down right weirdness --- I'm hooked!!

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Welcome to the club! As prior posts have already stated, you've definitely come to the right place. Lots of friendly and knowledgable folks here.

Always nice to see a fellow friction drive rider. I ride chainsaws, but the same concept applies to the drive roller system.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Ironhose5.1 did we meet last week at Lowes? I talk to a fellow in the parking lot at Lowes who had a MB as you described - and I'm here in Norman too. I imagine there are not too many MB around - though I'm sure there is more than just "one" in Norman.

If so, "Howdy" - and if not then, "Howdy" anyhow.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
**Title 47. Motor Vehicles
****Chapter 1- Definitions of Words and Phrases
********Section*1-104 - Bicycle, Electric-Assisted Bicycle, and Motorized Bicycle
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. A bicycle is a device upon which any person or persons may ride, propelled solely by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having two or more wheels, excluding mopeds.

B. An electric-assisted bicycle is any bicycle with:

1. Two or three wheels; and

2. Fully operative pedals for human propulsion and equipped with an electric motor:

a. with a power output not to exceed one thousand (1,000) watts,

b. incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, and

c. incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device at a speed of thirty (30) miles per hour or more.

An electric-assisted bicycle shall meet the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as set forth in federal regulations and shall operate in such a manner that the electric motor disengages or ceases to function when the brakes are applied.

C. A motorized bicycle is any bicycle having:

1. Fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power;

2. A power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged; and

3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of eighty (80 cu cm) cubic centimeters or less, regardless of the number of chambers in the engine, which is capable of propelling the bicycle at a maximum design speed of not more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour on level ground.

D. As used in this title, the term "bicycle" shall include tricycles, quadcycles, or similar human-powered devices, electric-assisted bicycles, and motorized bicycles unless otherwise specifically indicated.

There is your Oklahoma law. You do have an 80 cc limit. You can't manually clutch or manually shift engine gears. A shift kit would make your bicycle gears engine driven gears. However the law doesn't say the engine driven gears can't be shifted automatically. Its a legal loophole.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks for the post, Jerry!

While I've had zero problems on my bike, I printed your post and put a copy in my bike's tool bag ---- just in case.

Ironhorse5.1

May 11, 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
Yes gaffo, indeed that was me. I had ridden to Lowe's and realized I had left my keys to my lock at home when I saw you. Better than locking them in a car I suppose.

Last edited:

Ironhorse5.1

May 11, 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
Thanks for the post Jerry. A couple days ago I was riding and saw a local LEO in my rearview mirror. I thought "well, this I going to go one of two ways". I just kept on putting along and he went around me.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
**Title 47. Motor Vehicles
****Chapter 1- Definitions of Words and Phrases
********Section*1-104 - Bicycle, Electric-Assisted Bicycle, and Motorized Bicycle
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. A bicycle is a device upon which any person or persons may ride, propelled solely by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having two or more wheels, excluding mopeds.

B. An electric-assisted bicycle is any bicycle with:
1. Two or three wheels; and

2. Fully operative pedals for human propulsion and equipped with an electric motor:

a. with a power output not to exceed one thousand (1,000) watts,

b. incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, and

c. incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device at a speed of thirty (30) miles per hour or more.

An electric-assisted bicycle shall meet the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as set forth in federal regulations and shall operate in such a manner that the electric motor disengages or ceases to function when the brakes are applied.

C. A motorized bicycle is any bicycle having:

1. Fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power;

2. A power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged; and

3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of eighty (80 cu cm) cubic centimeters or less, regardless of the number of chambers in the engine, which is capable of propelling the bicycle at a maximum design speed of not more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour on level ground.

D. As used in this title, the term "bicycle" shall include tricycles, quadcycles, or similar human-powered devices, electric-assisted bicycles, and motorized bicycles unless otherwise specifically indicated.

There is your Oklahoma law. You do have an 80 cc limit. You can't manually clutch or manually shift engine gears. A shift kit would make your bicycle gears engine driven gears. However the law doesn't say the engine driven gears can't be shifted automatically. Its a legal loophole.
That's about the same here in MN only we are limited to 50cc. A CVT would work as some mopeds use them...........Curt