been a while, building up a new bike.

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
haven't been around these parts in a while, looking into building a new bike now, anyways i wasn't sure if anything had changed kit wise, are any motor kits really better then the others now? or are they all basically the same still?

i remember someone out in tucson was toying with the idea of making an american made motor back when i was still building these, wasn't sure if that ever came to be.

glad to see some names i remember are still around here making new posts.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
There are no American made kits or engines yet, except for a v-twin 2 stroke, however that only comes on a complete bike and is VERY expensive. I don't remember what vendor it is, or even if they're still selling them. The design was based on the ht engine, but I dont think the vendors are members here. Anyway, the kits are all pretty much still the same, the 4 strokes being the obvious choice for long-term reliability. If you're looking for a little extra power, shift kit or a diy engine setup. I'm currently working on a 98cc 4 stroke build, and I'm not the only one by far. Not sure how long its been since you've been around, but there is a company called agk (www.affordablegokarts.com) that is now designing custom transmissions for the Predator engines, but will also fit others such as my 98cc engine, and there is also of course the qmatic which can be adapted to many different engines. So there are other options besides the kits, not that there is anything wrong with the kits.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
when i was making my bike sportscarpat had just started making his new sprocket adapters, if that gives you an idea.

i don't think i really have the tools or experience to do a good 4 stroke set up sadly though :(

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you doubt yourself, you'll never get anything done. I'm not saying that to be rude, just have a little confidence in yourself and you can do anything you put your mind to. I didn't think I'd ever want to do a 4 stroke build either for the same reasons you stated, and then my engine died and I got sick of the constant fixing up and tuning and decided I was going 4 stroke. I'll have the bike up to a rolling chassis (started with a bare frame) in another couple of weeks, and I'm using motorcycle forks and all different kinds of stuff. You'd be surprised at what you can do if you really want to.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
China Girls can be had with big mounts- but you have to be sure- Boygofast usually has- it should make mounting on oversized cruiser frame a snap- I have one- as yet uninstalled
They also come with wider intake studs- for wider intakes obviously

have yet to see those two things merge in one engine

Dax has some kick start 2 cycle motor- looks good- expensive- dunno

also aluminum frame with tank on gasbikes- looks good, not too expensive- no fork though, and tank is a little bigger than I'd like

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i still have it, but it's in pieces, needed a new hub in the back wheel and never got around to it. along with a few other issues i was having. i mite fix that one up first.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you doubt yourself, you'll never get anything done. I'm not saying that to be rude, just have a little confidence in yourself and you can do anything you put your mind to. I didn't think I'd ever want to do a 4 stroke build either for the same reasons you stated, and then my engine died and I got sick of the constant fixing up and tuning and decided I was going 4 stroke. I'll have the bike up to a rolling chassis (started with a bare frame) in another couple of weeks, and I'm using motorcycle forks and all different kinds of stuff. You'd be surprised at what you can do if you really want to.
True words. Nothing is impossible. If you can dream it, you can do it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hello, Mat.
Good to see you again. Not a lot has changed other than the prices you were used to seeing. They've gone up a bit and the newer engines are somewhat de-tuned to meet EPA import restrictions. The new carburetors are essentially non-adjustable but aftermarket NT carbs are still available. Other than that everythine is about the same as when you were active. 4 stroke engines are more popular now but the venerable HT Chinese 2 strokes are still around too.

Good to see our older, respected members still participating in this crazy hobby. Send us some photos of your new build when you can.

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Hi Matt,
Glad to see you back! Hope all is well. I'm still riding that 1950 roadmaster we took to Dan's rally in Ct. Haven't made any changes to it in the last 2 or 3 years and the mtr is still running strong! Hope you get a ride built and see U @ some of the rallys. People in Ma talk about getting a group ride together but never seems to happen!

Later
Jim

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The guys building the American kit here in Tucson went under.

I wish i could figure out how to do it without breaking the bank. And keeping them somewhat affordable that the public will buy them.

And to be honest; i was not allowed to share it before, they just copied the Russian kit. It was an American copy of the Russian motors with 5 times the cost lol.

Good to see you back matthurd

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Umm...you got me there?

You gotta share that sh!t BBB! I just ran out and everything starting to make sense!
I don't really understand what that reply was supposed to mean. Not sure if you were being sarcastic towards me or whatever? I'm not looking for an argument. If I was wrong, I was wrong. I did forget that Staton does sell some American made kits. I don't really delve into the friction drive category very much, and sometimes tend to forget about those humble little setups, lol. I'm still not clear on whether their engines are American made or not, but most small engines are not made in America these days.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
thanks for all the welcome backs guys. :)

prices actually seem to be about the same, only about $10-20 more from the looks of it. the price of a 4 stroke is kind of iffy for me as a hobby, then again 2 strokes cost so much in repairs if you got bad luck.

bummer about the tucson store.

hi russell! good to hear, i mite make my way down there for a ride if one happens and things go well for me.

the hub it self was literally shattered in some spots chain, no way i was fixing that one. mite order a new wheel from worksman and just throw it on to my original build. only other part i need if i remember right was the pin the clutch arm pushed in, somehow i lost that. that should be a good start to getting back into this hobby. and deciding where to go next.

hi goat :)