Untimely greetings

GoldenMotor.com

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Greetings to the group.

I know I should have introduced myself before I posted elsewhere, but wanted to get my bike up and running first.

So, I have finally done so. My spookytooth is all together and running. I did have to peddle the bastichi almost around the block to get it going, but then, bam, it sparked up and away she went. What a riot.

Not wanting to become quickly qualified, like so many others, to comment on what it's like to break down 10 miles form home with no tools, I resisted the temptation to actually go anywhere. Just around the block a few times. Heheheh. I think I startled some kid on his bike when I motored past.

I look forward to putting some commuter miles on this puppy before the snow flies in October. I've already learned a good bit from reading here, and expect I'll continue to learn a thing or three from you lot.

Happy riding from Calgary,

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Greetings and salutations Brenton! I look forward to your input and innovations, as always. Is a gas when they fire up first time eh?

(tell de truth, were ya more afraid she would fire, or more afraid she wouldn't?)

Last edited:

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Dan,

You're on to me! Is that common? I've ridden both bikes and motor bikes since I was a kid. Not a lot, but enough. But a motorized bike?!

As I was gettin' it together, I was thinkin' "this is never gonna work."

Then, when it was ready to go, it was, like "My G_d, I think this thing could work. What if it works?"

Funny, man, it was both reactions.

I'm so tickled that such machines as these exist.

Thanks for your warm welcome! I look forward to being a part of this community.

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Brenton,

Heck yea! lol, normal. The only fear worse then failure, is success.

Next, make it even better!

Dude, you were already a "member of the community"

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Guys, thanks.

BG Joe, you and I will have to have a conversation one of these days. I'm working on my ppl, and have had a long love of homebuilts. That plane of yours is awesome!

Dan,

Speaking of making it better...I was out today for a bit more of a ride. Boy, the thing feels rickety at certain speeds, and especially when I back off the throttle. Looks like I have about two inches of play in my engine's chain, though I tightened that up...or so I thought.

Maybe lockwashers, as well as locktite!

Link to my bike:

Image of Spooky Dresser - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Spooky in Profile - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tell me, please, it's a normal sensation.

I've gotta tell ya, though, that it just hums along at 25mph with that spooky 36 tooth sprocket on there!

Brenton

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Should be about an inch of play in the chain, although most folks say half to 3/4s. Every kit motor I have has it's own personality and they even out after break in. Not unlike teens. Right now my least favorite motor is on my favorite bike and they are both vibration happy critters. The motor's sweet spot is at about 19 to 22 MPH. At 23 and above, ain't no one happy. The point beach cruiser is happiest at about 20. I have found that China girl kits cruise at around 20 MPH, with a top speed of around 30 out of the box. Rule of thumb I was tought is that motors run optimally at 3/4 throttle. But thats debatible

You just made me realize, when this motor was on the moondog, it was much happyer. Hmmm.

Is a case of the more vibration I feel, the more stress I hear. I is gonna get me one of them thare fancy springy seat posts. Another thing that does wonders is putting small pieces of radiator hose in the cooling fins on the head. The cheaper the casting, the better it works Folks swear I am nutz (but I have paper work from some fine instiutions saying I am sane) Maybe the voices in my head are right, and it is all in my head.

Oddly, this is one of the best parts of all this. When you wake with a "Uricka!" thought or find a cool new way to do some thing, it just means your an addict.
Snork.rotfl

Forgot to say, SWEET LOOKIN RIDE!!! Preetty work Fo'Sho. Have to be real carefull with front fenders though, they let loose and the front wheel stops and the bike and you don't

Last edited:

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Thanks for the props and the tips, Dan.

I was thinking of taking the front fender off. I'll watch it very carefully.

I've got a chrome tank and exhaust on order, so it'll all be chrome in a week or so.

I'm also going to try and get a better quality front brake. Something that has some stopping power.

Hey, I think I saw some pictures of rubber vibration damping stuff plugged in the fins...over on that other forum. Was that you?

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Chrome, sweet. your muffler came black stock with the kit?

I could have been involved in the conversation, but some one else came up with it.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Spookies has a number of pictures of the Dresser model, and, as I recall, the chrome one usually had a silver painted tank and chrome exhaust, but mine are black.

So, I was looking around for a chrome tank, and one of the sponsors has 'em. Thought I'd get the chrome exhaust while I'm at it. Hope it fits!

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gonna look great on your bike. Just my opinion but think the black exhaust looks awesome on a MTB, and chrome really sharpens up a cruiser. I noticed that black seems to make things disappear to the casual observer. Cracks me up when ppl ask where the gas goes and I have to point to my black gas tank.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Good ideas there about the black, Dan.

Now that I have the chrome on the way, I'll experiment. Mix and match.

It might be TOO much chrome to have pipe and tank, everything, all chrome.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good ideas there about the black, Dan.

Now that I have the chrome on the way, I'll experiment. Mix and match.

It might be TOO much chrome to have pipe and tank, everything, all chrome.
Any one seeing a marketing venture here? "Black and Dan Beer? The beer of those who are under powered, yet..OK, I got nuton. Help?