Hey i'm new (need some help)

GoldenMotor.com

air250

Sep 23, 2011
canada
I am using a 3.5 hp B&S lawn mower motor that i had recently converted from a vertical shaft to a horizontal shaft. (which was not too bad) but i am now stuck on adding a clutch to the crank shaft so that the bike will b able to idle once i start it. Or maybe there in another way to make it idle ether way could any one help me with this problem. Thanks

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I am using a 3.5 hp B&S lawn mower motor that i had recently converted from a vertical shaft to a horizontal shaft. (which was not too bad) but i am now stuck on adding a clutch to the crank shaft so that the bike will b able to idle once i start it. Or maybe there in another way to make it idle ether way could any one help me with this problem. Thanks
Hey air, Welcome. Does your Briggs have an aluminum flywheel? If it came off of a rotary mower, the blade acts as part of the flywheel effect, allowing for a smooth idle. You will need a cast iron flywheel if that's the case. Also, what carb are you using and did you disable the governor? Did you add a dipper to the rod for splash oiling? Would like to see photos of your bike as I've been putting Briggs motors on bikes for 25 years or so.

air250

Sep 23, 2011
canada
yes i added a dipper and rerouteing the oiling ports the fly wheel is the same. do you know where i can find a new one super cheep i didn't want want spend much on the build, the carb is stock its the one that is attached to the gas thank directly and the governor has been disabled i didn't know how to keep it and didn't really want to.