SBP Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I know there's a lot of threads out there for this but I was just wondering if my bike would be ready for a shift kit installation. The bike is a 26" Schwinn Riverside 7 speed and I'm pretty sure the hubs are Modus.

Does anyone know if the bike would hold up? Anyone have a shift kit on something similar to my bike?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
A piccy of the bike would be helpful in getting an answer from some people. I googled the bike and the only problem I see is the front motor mount. Your bike isn't a standard V frame. The front down tube is fatter than the mounts on the motor will accept and the curve of the tube will probably be a problem.

There are front motor mount adapters you can buy (or make if you're handy like that) which will solve that problem.

Only other problem is the front fender. The hanger bracket off your forks will fail in no time (as it will with the back fender). Should that happen, with only 1 support bracket on the back of the fender and connected to the axle, the fender could spin around under your wheel and over the high side you'll go.

Otherwise I think a shift kit would be no problem. Just realize though, once you go with a shift kit you'll be spoiled for life...

Last edited:

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
A piccy of the bike would be helpful in getting an answer from some people. I googled the bike and the only problem I see is the front motor mount. Your bike isn't a standard V frame. The front down tube is fatter than the mounts on the motor will accept and the curve of the tube will probably be a problem.

There are front motor mount adapters you can buy (or make if you're handy like that) which will solve that problem.

Only other problem is the front fender. The hanger bracket off your forks will fail in no time (as it will with the back fender). Should that happen, with only 1 support bracket on the back of the fender and connected to the axle, the fender could spin around under your wheel and over the high side you'll go.

Otherwise I think a shift kit would be no problem. Just realize though, once you go with a shift kit you'll be spoiled for life...

That's the bike. I actually did hear about peoples fenders failing and that's why I didn't even bother trying to re-enforce them and just took them off all together. I'm also using a SBP front tube adapter if that helps.

Attachments

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I think that bike is a good candidate. You will need the bottom bracket adapters to convert your cranks to the 3 piece that comes with the kit and I would probably flop the front mount over to raise the engine a little which will help the chain line from the jackshaft to the chainring but other than that looks good to go.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I think that bike is a good candidate. You will need the bottom bracket adapters to convert your cranks to the 3 piece that comes with the kit and I would probably flop the front mount over to raise the engine a little which will help the chain line from the jackshaft to the chainring but other than that looks good to go.
I also saw on your site that you need a chromoly hub. Mine would stand up to it right?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Not hub but rear axle, it is not necessary but recommended. If you are not an abusive shifter you should be fine. You can get a chromoly axle for $10 at your local bike shop.