66cc Chinese engine mpg?

GoldenMotor.com

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
im curious how many miles per gallon you guys get on your Chinese 66cc engines? i just got mine hooked up to my bike a few days ago and got no more than 30mpg. seems very little to me... could it be because im using a 20:1 fuel ratio? maybe after the engine is broken in i can change the ratio to get more mpg or does that not matter at all?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one of mine gets about 100-120mpg, and the other gets about 80mpg.

the one that gets 100+, i run it wide open all the time, it's totally modified, and hauls a$$.

the other one is basically stock, and cruises around at 35mph, yet gets worse mileage.

it's a crapshoot...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
First of all... finish breaking in your engine BEFORE you start worrying about MPG (& MPH!!)
I use regular 2 cycle oil mixed @ 24:1 for the first 2 gallons, & then I run 32:1 for the life of the engine.
My bikes get about 90 MPG around the city. (after they're broken in & properly tuned.) ;)

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
so i guess what im trying to ask is, do new engines get poor mpg until broken in? and about how long is the break in process until its safe to do full throttle? since my engine is new im only doing about 50-60% on the throttle.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Yes most new engines get poor milage until they are fully broken in.
Giving her full throttle is not bad during the break in process, Give her full throttle for a good 5-10 secs then let off to cruising speeds and repeat process and have fun:)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes, new engines run better & get better MPG as they break in.
Yes, it's safe to ride the bike at full throttle (WOT) during break in. (just don't keep it there for long periods of time during break in) & always (break in or not) make sure the engine is fully warmed up before going to WOT.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Every motor is different, but after the first few tanks keep your oil at 32:1 and just keep on riding. After about 200+ miles on it you will feel a difference and when you have around 500 miles on it It should be fully broken in.

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
fairracing31, 30mpg. i know that the tank i have is only 1/2 gallon, and i burned 90% of it probably with less than 15 miles. so i calculated 30mpg.

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
i'm in the same boat as you mr. cold. i've got a 66cc chinese engine as well and switched over today to 32:1 mixture... i've been using 16:1 for 2 gallons as suggested but as soon as the new gas made it to the engine i began to get a really loud popping sound and i thought it was the muffler coming loose, but everything is fine there. plus the engine is definitely not running as well.

any suggestions?

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
i'll check the spark plug, assuming you're wondering if there is any build-up... shouldn't be a problem, it's been running beautifully up until today minus m loosening clutch. i've got a grubee skyhawk engine, recommended 16:1 then 25:1 but after enough reading i decided to run with 32:1 and i am thinking a)i haven't run enough 16:1 through there to lube it up well enough or b)there is simply not enough oil in 32:1 to keep the engine moving

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
16:1 is to much oil man Im tellin' you. 24:1 or 32:1 is enough oil to keep your motor happy. It keeps mine happy at 32:1 (lucas oil Semi syn.) Some even go 50:1 and higher depending on oil.

break her in slowly man and If you think she is running good by all means keep doin what your doin. Im just giving you my opinion.:)

oldspeedsi

Nov 12, 2009
ABQ,NM
Do you guys really notice performance increases after 100 miles if so is it power or economy and if you know can you say why are the rings to hard just wandering and i get 60+ i think but i really don't care its damn cheap to run got to love 4.00 for two full tanks (gas+oil)

any one ever notice that when someone asks about it they always ask "how many miles per gal duz that thing get" or " so how fast is that thing "

Last edited:

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
my motor just snapped off my frame. the chain was too lose and ended up getting pinched inside the engines spindel, which in turn jammed my rear tire and pulled my already broken engine mount off the frame. nothing is damaged, just gotta wait for my 415 chain to get here, i was using a 420 chain.

oldspeedsi

Nov 12, 2009
ABQ,NM
my motor just snapped off my frame. the chain was too lose and ended up getting pinched inside the engines spindel, which in turn jammed my rear tire and pulled my already broken engine mount off the frame. nothing is damaged, just gotta wait for my 415 chain to get here, i was using a 420 chain.
WOW im getting out the chain brake r tonight that sounds scary bad

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
i'll check the spark plug, assuming you're wondering if there is any build-up... shouldn't be a problem, it's been running beautifully up until today minus m loosening clutch. i've got a grubee skyhawk engine, recommended 16:1 then 25:1 but after enough reading i decided to run with 32:1 and i am thinking a)i haven't run enough 16:1 through there to lube it up well enough or b)there is simply not enough oil in 32:1 to keep the engine moving

If your bike runs better on 16:1 opposed to 32:1 you may have to lean your carby out as you are richer in fuel per drop. Lower the c clip 1 notch.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I've been getting about 76-82 mpg so far and I started out with a 24:1 ratio for 1st tank then switched to a 32:1 ratio (and go the ~76 mpg). I've run it WFO for quite a bit of it's life so far and all total about 9+ hrs on the engine and ~170 miles. I just filled up with 50:1 and will see how that works for a few tanks. I was hoping for 100+ mpg as I can get a Kawasaki Ninja 250 that will get 70+ mpg, go freeway speeds and is much more reliable than these so I'm a tad disappointed.

I'm sure it (mpg & mph) will get better as the days go on and this has been a really fun project so not all is lost. :)

(I checked my plug last night (@32:1) and it was dry, a few small bits of crud build up near the metal bar that comes out over the electrode. The electrode was black but some areas of the metal case were almost metallic looking (not covered with soot) so I'm thinking the 50:1 ratio should make the plug look just about perfect. I'll check & see after about 20 miles.

Last edited: