wheels.......what to do now?

GoldenMotor.com

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
ok, so i remember someone mentioning they balanced their wheels, and in my case, i think it would greatly help. so, my question is, how do i do that? the local motorcycle shop wont balance my MB wheels because they are bike wheels, and im sure i can do them myself, but i need help. i dont know what to mount the wheel on, or how to balance them.

any pointers?

oh, and is there a proper way to tighten the bearing nuts?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
stick on wheel weights.. you'll never get it perfect, but the wheels should spin around and never fall with the valve stem on the bottom.. of course improper bearing preload or bearing damage/ improper lubrication will do that too..

just tighten the bearings till they don't rock, then back them off a tiny bit.... My Cranbrooks bearings whined and the coaster brake was mediocor at best.. I pulled it apart, greased it and then adjusted it and the brake got more responsive and whining stopped, this is a brand new bike ( week old now )

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
You can also slime the tubes. Once they get spinning they will self balance. It was part of what slime was originally sold for.

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
just to note, i have removed the reflectors, and it does run much smoother, as well as adding a front shock to the bike. however, i do still notice the vibration from the front and rear wheels.

thanks for the info, keep it coming!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
It worked really well on an old motorcycle I had but on my bike with the motor vibrating I don't think I could tell if the wheels were off or not.