Licenseless in Phoenix AZ

GoldenMotor.com

WSNTME

Mar 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey All! I've been lurking your forum for a bit now trying to gather information about motored bikes. All the information is great and I'm glad you are all here to share.

I was originally planning to motorize my MTB but found a completed bike for $50more than the kit itself. From reading i was convinced my frame would not fit a 4stoke kit So I now have a walmart schwinn delmar with a HS motor (beleive it's a hoot single chain?). I like the fact that the rear sproket is not attached to the spokes. I'm a bit disappointed in the top speed the way it is setup so I hope to improve at least that much. Currently I reach right at 25mph and I would like to acheive 35, 40 if possible. Sproket setup is 10t and 48t.

The brakes on this setup need to be addressed but so does the suspension(lack there of), so the brakes will probably be beefed up once i figure out what i'm doing for a front fork (k-10 is looking nice to me). I have a spare MTB fork but I beleive the steer tube is too big just by side-by-side eye-balling.

Anyway, glad to be doing less pedaling and hope to get this bike setup to my liking with the help of this forum.

Thanks!

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hello and welcome to our motorized bicycle forum! thats a nice looking motorized cruizer. we have a lot of talented, mechanics, fabricators everthing on the forum that love to share.

Feb 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
Hey, I also live in AZ. I'm located in Mesa. 49cc 4 stroke will get you up to 35mph with a 41 tooth. I'm not sure what you have is 4 stroke or 2 stroke. I've never had 4 stroke before, but my friend who has the honda friction drive 4 stroke didn't have an exhaust pipe, so I'm guessing it's 2 stroke. You'll get 1/2 more horse power with an expansion chamber like this one.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83

it'll probably get you to somewhere around 38mph with 36 tooth sprocket.

But if you don't have a license, the law won't let you drive your bike at a speed higher than 20 mph on bikelanes. And anything over 30mph on a bicycle isn't even worth it.
I have a 66cc and got to 45mph with an expansion chamber, 27 tooth sprocket,the 66cc flying horse optimized carburetor from spookytooth and the Octane booster on my fuel mix.

I realized later that bicycles aren't meant to handle that kind of speed or vibration after doing all that stuff. I had to constantly tighten every bolt and torque after coming back home from each rides. Trust me it's not even worth it.

Also, 49cc motorbikes that goes under 20mph or somewhere around that speed are sidewalk legal in phoenix. (since the law lets you go on everywhere bicycles can go on a motorbike, you can go on sidewalks as long as there's no bikelane)

Even at 20mph and stopping at every crosswalks, you still can get to places faster than bus or lightrail since you don't have to wait and you can also take the most direct route.

After learning about all this I ended up getting rid of my 66cc and mounting a 49cc and put on a 44 tooth sprocket. I also bought a full face bmx helmet like this one

http://www.hjchelmets.com/images/products/product_images/rphax/nate/mc5_top.jpg

You can get one used for somewhere around 50~60 bucks on craigslist and wearing a fullface helmet like this will make you practically invisible to cops for some reason.

I tried riding on the wrong side of the road on a sidewalk at 23mph and passed through 3 police cruisers and non stopped to bug me when they constantly bugged me when I was wearing a regular bicycle helmet. This is a good investment

Feb 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
If you really want to break that 40 mph barrier, you can try using some of the 50cc KTM engines. They're small enough and built a lot like the bicycle engine kits.

http://thatsdax.com/sitebuilder/images/KTM_LEFT_SIDE_PIC-363x275.jpg

http://www.denardisengines.com/50cc.html

These engines used with heavy duty chains will allow you to take straight off without pedaling, but they're costly. You'll also have to take it to a welder since they have no mounts for a bicycle

Also for the bicycles to actually handle that kind of speed and vibration, you'll need a real expensive mountain bike that's real heavy duty built like these

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

or this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cy8ihDGSiWU/TmeiaI_9S4I/AAAAAAAAMNo/LmyflLRs05g/s1600/WP_000357.jpg

they're real heavy duty bikes built a lot like motorcycles to handle the vibrations from rough terrains. But they're like 1000~2000 dollars, so that combined with the ktm engine and other parts plus the fee that you're gonna have to pay at a machine shop to get it welded and such, you're looking at 3000~3500 dollars. Which will probably get you a used ninja 250 that you can ride on freeways

In conclusion, set up that you have right now is really good. Just ride on sidewalks and bike lanes and it'll get you around a lot faster than bus or even a car since you can bend a lot of traffic rules. So keep it like that it's a nice set up.

Oh and also, I know it gets scary riding real slow in the traffic, but it's actually a lot safer since the cars behind you won't take much effort to pass you instead of having to go up to 40mph to pass you

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Hey All! I've been lurking your forum for a bit now trying to gather information about motored bikes. All the information is great and I'm glad you are all here to share.

I was originally planning to motorize my MTB but found a completed bike for $50more than the kit itself. From reading i was convinced my frame would not fit a 4stoke kit So I now have a walmart schwinn delmar with a HS motor (beleive it's a hoot single chain?). I like the fact that the rear sproket is not attached to the spokes. I'm a bit disappointed in the top speed the way it is setup so I hope to improve at least that much. Currently I reach right at 25mph and I would like to acheive 35, 40 if possible. Sproket setup is 10t and 48t.

The brakes on this setup need to be addressed but so does the suspension(lack there of), so the brakes will probably be beefed up once i figure out what i'm doing for a front fork (k-10 is looking nice to me). I have a spare MTB fork but I beleive the steer tube is too big just by side-by-side eye-balling.

Anyway, glad to be doing less pedaling and hope to get this bike setup to my liking with the help of this forum.

Thanks!
Nice build, just keep in mind that in the heart of phoenix you WILL get a ticket
going much over 20mph which is the law here. good luck to you.
BORED COPS ARE A HOOT!

WSNTME

Mar 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Nice build, just keep in mind that in the heart of phoenix you WILL get a ticket
going much over 20mph which is the law here. good luck to you.
BORED COPS ARE A HOOT!
Glad you like my new wheels. Working to aquire some forks now so hopefully soon my commute will be more comfortable.

I think 20 is pretty low....I can acheive better than that (allbeit not for long) on my mountain bike. I understand it's the law but I'm not sure they'll waste time on me for going 25 instead of 20. If i was going 40, sure, I can see being stopped...but then if i'm able to go 40 i'm probably not going to stop for a cop that I didn't see behind me. If it's a motorcycle cop though there's not much you can do:-||

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Not the best line of thinking for long term enjoyment of a motorized bike.
Don't know how many times I've heard that! think on this,
lets see you walk 20 miles in one hour or consistently ride at 20mph without a motor
slow down enjoy the scenery and save your money, oh and I have been pulled
over with them claiming 22 mph. LOL
The judge saw it differently thank goodness:)

WSNTME

Mar 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Don't know how many times I've heard that! think on this,
lets see you walk 20 miles in one hour or consistently ride at 20mph without a motor
slow down enjoy the scenery and save your money, oh and I have been pulled
over with them claiming 22 mph. LOL
The judge saw it differently thank goodness:)
Man, at 22 eh!? Glad the judge was on your side. I've noticed the scenery is quite nice along the canal trails near me, and i'm not looking at the mountains haha.

I suppose I'll keep it slow for a bit and make sure i'm not catching too much of the wrong attention before I decide to push the envelope.