Project Stinkeray

GoldenMotor.com

AdmiralRedman

Nov 5, 2008
Texas
First let me introduce myself, the name is James. Live in San Antonio Tx. Recently got turned on to a China Girl conversion...mostly because my friend knows I have a well stocked shop. I am the guy you want to call when you don't have tools or know how. I have been trouble shooting little issues here and there on his bike for the past week and now have his gal ported and polished. Also fixed little issues like the woodruff key on the crank that puked itself out and tried to send me over the bars as it jammed in the gear reduction, clutch side. Attached is a picture of his Murray and his smiling face. I said the garage was well stocked! Not CLEAN! rotfl

So now that I have worked on his bike, it was time to get my own. Found a black Stingray on Craigslist and picked it up for $60. The motor kit is on order, should have it next week. I plan to port, polish, balance, true the crank, and paint. Attached is a few Stingray photos.

Being the kind of guy I am, with a roll of carbon fiber and other exotics on hand, I decided that the fenders needed to be molded. Attached are some photos of the fender off, holes wax filled, and the mold for the rear coming about.

Attachments

AdmiralRedman

Nov 5, 2008
Texas
So just one last shot of the mold once it was finished. It is currently in the oven cooking off at 170 degrees. Once it kicks off, it is time to check for pin holes that might be in the mold. Any blemishes found will be addressed. Then it is time to wax it to within an inch of it's life.

Updates coming for tonight will be centered around the trimming of the mold and the prep necessary for layup.

That's all that I have....more to come. Stay tuned!

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Lookin good. Only thing to think about is the fact that you need to trim the fender on the stingray for chain clearance. Might want to get that straightened out before you polish it :)

AdmiralRedman

Nov 5, 2008
Texas
The nice thing about having a mold for the fender is that I can pull as many as I want. The bad thing about making a mold is that the :-||paint stuck in the mold. I waxed the crap out of it with parting wax but the paint still stuck. At least when I get the mold dressed I will have plenty of chances to get the rear fender with the correct hole in it.

I have pulled molds off of rent cars and returned them...so I am left a little baffled.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I have pulled molds off of rent cars and returned them...so I am left a little baffled.
Haha, now there's an idea.

That's kind of weird that the paint came off...could've just been really crappy paint from the factory. They don't make em like they used to....